1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Phosphene — She Wants To Do Right

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Phosphene, Jun 21, 2018.

1. recoen

recoen Gold

@Jack Kruse interesting thought.. especially the times they seem to enlarge- pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Phosphene and drezy like this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

just about to get all my bits in a Kiniki ....and go to the beach!

Anita, Phosphene and drezy like this.
  3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Preparing to do a mega update, but still getting me wits about me. Pup passed on while I was away—she waited just long enough for hubs and sons to pick her up from in-laws and get a final 45 minutes with her before slipping away peacefully. I’m of course sad but relieved it was quick for her—probably a stroke.

Have fun with whatever’s next in your journey, sweet baby girl Boo.

2D0EF6C7-EFE8-4893-84F9-B4EF764A974A.jpeg

KrusinWitchie, recoen and Anita like this.
  4. Anita

Anita New Member

Our animals crossing Rainbow Bridge, as my Vet refers to our pet's deaths, is a sad and teary time for us...they love us unconditionally. So sorry for your loss Phosphene.

Phosphene likes this.
  5. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Wow, can hardly believe that nearly a month has passed since my last update. Mid-January to mid-Feb is my witching month—where I’m normally dead to the world. Strangely enough, though I may have seemed rather dead to the forum, I’ve been experiencing my life for the first time in...I don’t even know how long.

Details to come, but I just want to express my extreme gratitude for Dr. Kruse and the magical people on this forum. I feel a ‘Success Story’ post coming on, because there is simply no other explanation for how I feel...

I turn 50 tomorrow, and can’t wait for the gorgeous second half of my life.

Here’s to loving family and friends sending actual pictures and cards via snail mail ON TIME. How do they do that??? Good old Aunt Sandra—I need to visit her.

09B005AC-69C4-4643-B9B6-3E2CCE199151.jpeg

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Happy Birthday Phosphene!! .....enjoy every single second of every single day from now on ....no matter what and no excuses!

Now that we know better..........

xo

Phosphene likes this.
  7. Anne V

Anne V Gold

a very happy birthday Phosphene :D

Phosphene likes this.
  8. Laura C

Laura C New Member

Wishing you a belated Happy, happy, happy Birthday! =)

Phosphene likes this.
  9. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Birthday oysters!

These were at a riverfront restaurant you can kayak right up to. I see that happening often this summer. Really wanted to be outside but it was cold miserable rain.

New Orleans style, lightly broiled with a spicy remoulade sauce. 6 for $10—not bad.

3AD1676B-BC82-4C30-878B-FC7751D1297F.jpeg

And even more! A local grocery store had bags of 20 for $12—need to see if they have any left.

36FBFFE1-88CF-4E74-A7EF-6A8E5FA78921.jpeg

Check out the tiny reddish baby crab in this one—still alive. There were four little crabs in all, which was a bit freaky at first. But since Freak is my middle name they went down the hatch as well. :D

F50F9A61-E0FC-4525-A9E3-964A359451E8.jpeg

Then off to see a symphony orchestra at one of the local universities. Small school, small venue, even smaller crowd, and back home by 9:30. Perfect!

caroline, drezy and Sheddie like this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

Happy Birthday!

Every once in a while I can't get gulf oysters and I get Blue Points. i suspect that those are bluepoints. Every 6th one I've ever opened had a baby crab in them. I'm not used to it, but I think they are in there hiding from nnemf...

Phosphene and caroline like this.
  11. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’ve been hibernating, and coming down off my post-Mexico high quite a bit. But it doesn’t worry me much because I know I can get it back. I know I can ramp the dopamine right back up in a few short weeks when the weather breaks. There is already a bit of UV, but the weather has been shit and upper 30’s F is my current limit for enduring sustained full winter sun skin in the game.

Right now I’ve embraced cold, dark and boring, and though I’m still not a fan of cold I realize the gift of just...being here in the winter with my loving and forgiving family. They still think I’ve lost it, and I do need to distance myself from their less-than-optimal habits much of the time and just do my own thing. Hopefully they are observing and learning. My eldest starts his first “real job” (sigh) next week serendipitously near my parents, and will be staying with them until he gets his bearings. They are all looking forward to the arrangement.

My mind is running, flipping, churning through ideas for getting me south next winter, mid-January through mid-March to start, then true snowbird eventually. I need to make it happen. I WILL make it happen.

I gaze at this picture often to remind me of the fantastic time in Mexico, and motivate to get back near a southern ocean, where the magic really is.

3637C93B-F981-40F0-9922-B097C090EB0A.jpeg

One thing I know for sure—I thrive in the company of other mitochondriacs!!! :)

LieselK, Jenelle, caroline and 2 others like this.
  12. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I still have much to say about Mexico, but want to get a few rough notes out here that I will refine for another post in the “visiting Mexico” threads.

I’ve always been frugal with money (though in retrospect I see where I could have done even better...) So I challenged myself to make my trip to Isla Mujeres as inexpensive as possible. Here is the rough breakdown for my 9 days:

Round trip airfare from Philadelphia to Cancun: $276 (plus $24 optional trip/medical insurance) = $300

Shuttle from airport to ferry station (after negotiation; cheaper bus also available): $20

Ferry to Isla (round trip): $16

Food: $8-$15 per day (very possible if you mainly prepare your own and make breakfast/lunch the main meals). I’m using an average of $12/day: $108

Accommodation (8 nights, private room with shared bath and kitchen): $200

Taxis to and from beach (or a 2 mile walk): maybe $20 for the week since the rides were usually split 3 ways and Inna and I sometimes walked. Lloyd wisely maximizes his time at the beach IN THE WATER and always took taxis.

Incidentals (tips, bottled water, and small souvenirs/gifts for me and family): $40

My unlimited T-Mobile cell plan included calls, texts and data in Mexico so there was no additional expense here, and was fairly reliable.

So about $700 (plus getting to/from your local airport) for 9 days in high season mitochondrial paradise. (Okay, 8 days when you knock off travel time on each end.)

Obviously it would be more if I chose to splurge on fancy meals out, booze, or excursions. (I only did that once, and the tab was generously covered by another visiting mitochondriac. Well, ok—four of us split a celebratory bottle of Malbec on the last night as well. Thanks @Inna !)

Also remember that the average price per day drops with a longer stay since the flight is the biggest chunk.

Overall, BEST TRIP OF MY LIFE!!!! Less glamorous but much more healing than any “vacation” experience. More to come on this.

Thanks again @shah78 !!

ED2E3547-D74B-4191-A768-691B2A6C8C93.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Inger, caroline, Jenelle and 2 others like this.
  13. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

That sounds like perfection. I really don't like glamorous vacations. Simple and healing seems like more on point for vacationing! As a thrift-lover myself, I'd say you did well!

Phosphene likes this.
  14. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

There were a few downsides which I’ll talk about too, but I knew about most of them headed into this adventure and just chose not to focus on them. I had a few minor freakout moments (which are to be expected with foreign travel, especially solo) but overall people were friendly and helpful and things went pretty much as expected.

I guess one of the biggest takeaways was my attitude adjustment. Or at least steps in that direction. I am extremely self-critical, and tend to unconsciously reflect that criticism and judgment onto other people and situations. (Something that made me a very effective software technical writer/editor/QA tester—noticing errors, inconsistencies, redundancies, inefficiencies...)

I made a conscious effort in Mexico to just accept things as they were, and not overreact if something didn’t jibe with my preconceived notion of how I thought it should be. I found this so much easier after a few days in the presence of hardcore mitochondriacs (Lloyd and Inna).

I’m not sure my family agrees that I’ve made progress in this area, but I know I have and that’s all that really matters for now.

caroline and LieselK like this.
  15. caroline

caroline Moderator

is camping possible there?

16. shah78

shah78 Gold

no

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

how come??????

18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’m guessing because it’s a small island and the beach areas are either private or public and pretty tightly monitored for activity. It felt very safe for this reason, but it was also clear that you couldn’t just plop a tent down somewhere. There were some cool properties for sale though, and I know at least one member has sights on possibly creating a retreat center of some kind. Part of my vision as well.

19. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I should be working on the taxes, but in other news... :rolleyes:

I relented and gave in to the Ancestry DNA kit I received from oldest son for Xmas. Results are in, and not the least bit surprising with heritage (except for the smidge of Swedish and Norwegian, which is awesome). But after running raw data through Genetic Genie I’m a bit concerned with all the red and yellow in my snips/snaps report. I held off doing this mainly for the privacy issue, but also for the major rabbit hole. I need to get some shit done, and this isn’t helping.

E3E1A121-1DC7-4BC1-B314-EF12B7158F65.jpeg

97EF80F4-803D-4D1E-AFF7-C7A5DB981F4B.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  20. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Got 4 hours of UV6 and 70 degrees today! Springs a comin’. :thumbsup:

On the down side, was doing some yard work and coming to the sad conclusion that most of my huge evergreens are dying. :tears:

Now most of them are 20-40 years old so I would expect some natural attrition, but this is just spooky. Even younger ones seem affected. Lower branches bare, needles falling in huge numbers, overall transparency... I’ll get some pictures soon—I was too disturbed to document today.

Still plenty of birds though. If they leave I will too.

LieselK likes this.