1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Phantosmia and OCD

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Scompy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I figured out someone close to me has phantosmia (olfactory hallucinations) four years ago now, which was related to a flicker-effect screen event in a home that was getting the floors refinished with a strong smell of varnish paint and super-loud sounds from a wood-floor sander.... this appears to be at the root of the OCD. A small seizure happened at the time of the event, and the person's pattern changed into OCD the next few weeks after. Every time the person experiences a phantom paint smell, it is interpreted as the varnish smell and then the person wishes to get control by wash hands or other behaviors. I have read up on some links with GABA reduction resulting, etc. I have been perplexed in thinking about ways to resolve and reverse it and coming up with, well, phantoms. Any thoughts are welcome.