1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Personal Care products that fit the optimal (non hormonedisrupting chemicals) bill.

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, May 15, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Dude, party at Cavemam's house!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

ok so its 1/5c of CO and then 1/8c of cocoa butter??? going to have to put the Mac Oil on the WFM list this week...

I've got some good armpit stuff called funk butter... I also have the tropical traditions deoderant - what sucks is I can't use either after I've shaved/waxed my under arms - I have to wait 2days at least b/c the baking soda irritates me - so for those 2 days I use tea tree oil, lavendar and witch hazel - it keeps stink away for about 1/2 the day no where as good as the funk butter.

as for no poo - I use wen - I tired no poo - using morrocan method clay "shampoos" & "conditioners" - and my hair went to pieces... I use wen 2-3x/week - now that my hair is getting longer - I don't have to style it as much - so hoping that I can stretch to 2x/week max (w/exception of the days we go to the pool this summer) I was dd's hair 1x/week after swim lessons w/wen and her hair is so pretty...

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I did conditioner-only washing on my hair (using baking soda and ACV once a week or so, cheapo Suave coconut conditioner every other day to scrub my scalp) for almost a year and it worked well, but then I got a really short hair-cut and when the stylist did it, she not only used a bunch of SLS shampoo before she cut it, but then she loaded it up with all kinds of silicone-based styling gunk when she was done. I was actually pretty pissed about it, and I tried to go back to no-poo (after a good wash to get all the styling gunk out) after that, but the combination of going through the greasy stage again on top of having SUPER-short hair for the first time in like 20 years just sent my self-concious meter into the red and I went back to "normal" shampoo'ing. Still can't quite bring myself to start all over again. Maybe some day when I can take two weeks off so no one has to see me in the grease-ball stage...;)

The only time I ever use actual soap / bodywash is if I'm REALLY stinky for some reason, which is not often. I do still use traditional deodorant, but I'd like to try the stuff y'all have been talking about and see if it works for me instead!

4. Ok, sorry for the lack of attention to detail!

1.5 cups of CO

1/8 cup cocoa butter

So, after you melt - and it cools, if it's too liquidy add more CO and Cocoa butter or if it's too stiff (doesn't spread) add more macadamia.

My next batch should be in about 2 weeks - I'll make sure to document amounts then!

5. Owl

Owl New Member

Lump free breasts are now remarkable because the majority of women in this country have fibrocystic breasts from iodine deficiency.

6. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

7. Awesome!! I will try the shampoo!!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh, I had no idea it was the lack of iodine. I just remember he seemed surprised and asked me if I drank coffee. Been drinking coffee most my life so I realized that couldn't be it.

Do they tell women it's a lack of iodine?

9. So do you just squeeze some aloe vera plants to get the gel? Also on Jojoba oil - is there a reson for this oil, or could we use something else on hand?

Dried rose petals - can I just dry like the store bought roses or?

AND - have you ever made any kind of mascara?

10. Yup. Been thinking that a LOT lately!

11. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Iodine deficiency is not something that most CW doctors pick up on / diagnose, to my knowledge. There's a huuuuuuuge iodine thread on MDA. If you search for the user Grizz, he's got a link to a whole bunch of information he's compiled about it.

12. Owl

Owl New Member

No, as ealachan says, most doctors don't know it. Here's the last page of the MDA thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45205-247.html

Grizz has links in his siggy for lots of iodine references. I'm up to 44mg/day of Iodoral. I had the iodine loading urine test last year, so I know I'm deficient.

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Cavemam you get 5 *s on this thread! I love what you're doing here!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

What I have found is that no amount of oil helps my skin without our summer humidity--my skin loves it. I should just move to Florida.

15. Ok Friends, son has a wicked rashy foot. I think it's athletes. Do you have a secret remedy for this? He's really itchy, with cracked skin and bleeding a bit - so I'm going to start the lotramin stuff tonight, but would like not to use it I think if there is something else that will work!

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Coconut oil and tea tree oil, and gse. For thrush on the bum I use the following: Desitin, lotramin, polysporin, and hydrocortisone - works like a charm - (ped gave us that recipe use 1oz of each - make a big batch and keep on hand!)

17. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I really don't get what's wrong with soap. It's just esterified (saponified) fat. I've been making "superfatted" coconut oil soap for years. The lather is sinfully luxurious and it leaves your skin moisturized, soft and smooth. I think the key is to use as little as possible (I shower every other day) and make sure there are no funky unpronounceable ingredients in it.

I also make my own skin lotion from coconut oil, sweet almond oil, cocoa and shea butter. I usually throw in a bit of vitamin E and C and scent it with organic essential oils...my fave is vanilla oil and orange oil. I smell like a orange creamsicle! You have to keep it in the frig though...no preservatives.

I'm about to try a shampoo recipe...I'll let you know how it goes. I would like to get away from using shampoo (wash my hair every 4th day).

I haven't used deodorant since I was in my 20's. After a few weeks it seemed like I didn't need it anymore. The odor just went away.

18. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

A - most soap isn't soap these days. It's detergent.

B - it's overused. Constantly removing the body's natural oils & flora has consequences, including the inability to make vitamin D from the sun, making girly parts more susceptible to bacterial imbalance (leading to infection), and much more.

I limit soap use to when I'm showing or smelling, and don't hesitate to use it (real soap) when needed.

19. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I had a case of athletes foot once and 4 weeks of lotrimin didn't do it. I ended up seeing the Dr who proscribed Lamisil which in now OTC. It kicked the crap out of the fungus in a week. I think the information said to use it for one week but expect the rash to take 2 weeks to heal.

20. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Yes, you could squeeze the aloe vera plants for gel. Jojoba oil is a very nice oil for your skin but it you do not have it you could try another oil. That is how I make up new recipes, not having an ingredient, and finding I like it better.