1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Personal Care products that fit the optimal (non hormonedisrupting chemicals) bill.

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, May 15, 2012.

1. I have been experimenting with making my own personal care products, and it is so cool. I have given out lots of samples and people flock back wanting more and more. I'm perfecting formulas. Perhaps you will see them at Whole Foods soon!

My "base" for almost everything to go ON the body is this.

Coconut Oil

Macadamia Nut Oil

Cocoa Butter

Then when I want something to smell good, I add my handmade vanilla (made with organic beans and kettle one).

Products so far:

AU NATURAL - just the base, whipped into an easy to spread formula. I use this to remove eye makeup, wash my face in the shower (spread on and wash with just the oil and warm water) and spread on any delicate parts that want moisturizing.

PERFECT PITS - base + baking soda + lots of vanilla. Teh awesomest. Everyone that uses it comes back for more. Can also be used for rashes and itches.

HEAVY WHIP ME CREAM - base + vanilla whipped into a froth. It's edible too! I added to coffee once just to see.

2. freesia

freesia Old Member

This is awesome!

Go You!

I use CO and baking soda (aluminum free version) under my arms but your base recipe looks like it would make a much easier to use cream. You've inspired me to UPGRADE!

Thx for the inspiration, and the pics :)

3. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I use an organic salt crystal as deodorant, and sweet almond oil and/or macadamia oil with some drops of rose essence for lotion, eye make-up remover, night cream etc.

4. Rosekelly

Rosekelly New Member

Do you have any ideas for natural shampoo to wash my hair with after swimming in the ocean? I do dunk my head under, so the hair gets plenty wet. Normally I wash minimally, every four or five days, but that's impossible with all the ocean swimming I'm doing. There's a lot of stuff in the ocean. Good for me, but not so good for soft, shiny hair.

Any ideas? Conditioner too.

5. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Other than deo (CO & baking soda, and I do agree that mixing cocoa butter would probably make it easier to use ... it doesn't go bad?) & occasional soap on pits, I don't use anything on my body.

Nothing.

I don't even use makeup remover on the rare occasion I wear makeup. Because I never remove my body's oils intentionally anymore, makeup just comes off by itself after a few hours ... one of the few downsides!

I don't have any problems with the ocean and my hair, which I don't shampoo at all, ever. I do have BIG problems with chlorine. It makes the oils in my hair go nuts, like they go I'M BEING ATTACKED!!!!!!! and overproduce and seize up and it feels like I have a giant blob of wax on my head. I try to rinse in cool water before and after swimming in poisoned pools.

6. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Me too. and +1 on the chlorine toxicity. We need more salt water pools. They have to be better than chlorine.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I use barely anything, either. My bottle of Dr Bronner's soap I purchased years ago is still half full and I even use it for other things like washing the floors.

I haven't quite figured out what to do with my hair. No poo doesn't appear to work for me. It starts to get greasy no matter how long I skip the shampoo. I had really short hair for years and it was okay then... just rinsed it every day. Now that my hair has grown to mid-back length I can't rinse everyday - it takes way too long to dry and blow-drying isn't something I want to get into the habit of. My hair actually grew long being no-poo, so it wasn't an issue of not giving it enough time.

I'd really like to skip the shampoo...

8. Guest

Guest Guest

+1 You rock MamaGrok!! No soap is dope. Friends thought I was weird for not using soap on my face, but I never had pimples or blackheads until I did experiment with washing my face for a time. I am 57 with little to no wrinkling on my face anywhere. Never wore much make-up because it made me look clownish, so nothing of significance to take off.

I also have not used any type of deodorant in over 15 years. A few years back I had a breast exam and the doc said he never felt breast with, absolutely, no lumps at all. I know it's because I have have not suppressed the toxins. I don't have a problem today with stinky underarms.

I try not to miss any of your posts because I know there is always wisdom in them.

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Well, different things for everyone, and I love the idea of mixing a thick butter into the deo I do use (because my body has not yet stopped stinking from the toxins coming out). Everyone has a different situation and should do what's best for that situation and not necessarily what I do! And I LOVE the idea of cavemam's products being in Whole Foods, helping lots of people (b/c face it,not everyone is as crazy as I am) to get rid of the toxins on their bodies. But I do enjoy the ease of a mostly product-free life. It's SOOOOOO easy to camp!!!

I mean, I already typically only shower once/week, and that's water-only. A washcloth and stream plus my little container of CO&BS will take care of my pits. I bring a tiny vial of tooth powder if I'm going to camp a long time, but (confession) I don't brush my teeth every day at home, so it's easy not to while camping. My general rule for the whole body is that if it's not showing or smelling, I don't do anything to it.

Eliminating the shampoo definitely takes some working with it. It took my husband only a few days to get through the over-production transition stage, but it took me nearly six weeks. It was summer, so I just wore my hair up every day. My hair is very different now. The pros are it dries more quickly (used to take 2hrs to air-dry, now only about 45m), has tons of volume (never any thought of needing a styling product), has a natural all-over wave (was always board straight until my third child, when it developed a hideous solitary s wave in just one section in the back!), tangles far less, is fairly water repellent in a light rain, and is super easy. The cons are I can't get it board straight without blow drying now (which I won't do more than once a year because that, too, takes 30m - I have thick hair!), it's not Breck-girl shiny anymore, and requires a short daily preening (much less time than hair care used to take) to keep the oils moving so they don't pile up at the scalp and leave me looking greasy. Another negative is that toxins flowing into or out of my body seem to cause a sebum (grease) response. Another positive is that when I get crap in my hair, like a night at a smoky bar or a wedding with ridiculous quantities of unnecessary stylist-applied hair products ...they're gone by morning. Just like a good sheep, my hair repels stuff. :)

I recently had to go through the long transition again because I had started using baking soda followed by apple cider vinegar as a wash about once a month. Then I liked the middle ground between Breck sheen & manageability & volume it offered me, and started doing it a little more often and BAM suddenly I needed to do it more than once a week or would be greasy and I was not happy about going there again, so I just cut out the ACV/BS cold turkey and re-transitioned into fully sebum'd hair. I will still use the ACV/BS for special events when I want to do something different with my hair, but not fall into doing it too often again.

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

ok for the base what's the ratios? are you using straight cocoa butter? (I've got a brick of it TPITA to use b/c its so solid - I can't freaking cut it! I have to shred it to use in cooking) do you heat up all the oils then whip until frothy???? detailed directions pls!!!

11. You might try just putting a little CO in your hair before you go in the ocean as a protectant. The salt is pretty harsh on the hair if you are in the ocean every day. Also you could put your hair up and not get it in the water (Yeah, I know that was obvious). I try to keep my hair out of the water if possible when I go in the ocean.

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

@Mamagrok: I was no-poo for about 10 years while having short hair, and it still didn't work for my long hair even though it grew in as no-poo. What do you mean with "preening"?

I would love to be no-poo again.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I've pretty much stopped washing my face, too. I stopped using soap/cleansers on it years ago and recently I stopped using anything but a splash of cold water and every once in a while a little face brush. I do like the changes I am seeing... less dry, more even tone, just nicer skin. Never again will warm/hot water touch my face!!

14. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

A gentle scalp massage for a minute or two, especially in the most sebum-y areas, then gently moving those oils down the strands toward the ends. This was especially necessary when I was in the transition stage, or any time I ate stuff my body didn't like.

I can't say exactly what will work for everyone, but it was definitely a combination of time and preening and patience. Also, the realization that my hair is nothing like it used to be - better in some ways and more annoying in others. Overall, I believe the benefits (like volume, lack of chemicals, and free time!) outweigh the negatives (like never being a Breck girl (with the completely limp, hang-in-your-face no-volume hair that goes with it) again).

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

lol, that would be me on the third day after washing. So then I give in on the fourth day. I'm about to cut it off again b/c I'm tired of dealing with it.

16. Rosekelly

Rosekelly New Member

Obvious it may be, it didn't occur to me until after I posted this question. Swimming cap! Genius. Also, I like the CO idea. I'm seeing that hair-washing after every ocean swim might be in the cards, unless I can manage to keep it unwet.

Thanks!

17. Ok, so I still need to experiment and write down quantities. I've just been going by the feel-it method and haven't measured. BUT my best guess is:

1.5 cup of CO

1/8 cup coconut oil (because I get tired of trying to dig it out of the jar it's so hard!)

1/4 cup macadamia

I do melt everything, then babysit it while it cools and whip it every 20 mins or so, so it stays mixed up while cooling.

For the Perfect pits, add just about the same amount of baking soda as you have of goop.

If you have never made Vanilla - MUSTDO. Once you go real, you will never go back.

Order the beans from ebay. it's like $20 for 3/4 a lbd. Get the best rated organic ones. I like both tahitian and madagascar. My unscientific analysis is tahitian is more fragrant and madagascar more taste. . so use one for cooking thing, the other for smelling.

Get a big assed bottle of Kettle One Vodka. Split beans, shove them in vodka. Shake every couple of days for a few weeks, then let sit for a minimum of 6 months while shaking when you think of it.

18. [​IMG]

Here is my vanilla operation. The little white jars are vanilla sugar - gift for clients I don't like. Heh j/k

19. I have really REALLY tried to go poo free. Perhaps when I retire. I never could get that fresh clean look - I always looked a little grungy.

I have hope that now I think I'm looking less bald, that mebby I can swing a severe "all pulled back" kind of look with a ponytail. Right now it looks a little too old lady with too much scalp at the part.

No soap on body for over a year. People don't need soap.

So now, I use a little bit of shampoo on my part. Honestly for me, I keep thinking the small dollop that I rinse fairly quickly probably isn't that bad. So I haven't bothered with the baking soda head stuff.

Need to find something tho - any ideas are welcome!