1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Peri-operative optimal surgical considerations

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by TheKid, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid

TheKid Gold

Jack,

My daughter split her eyebrow wide open this afternoon on metal slide at the playground. It's considered a "dirty" cut that is likely to get infected. The gash is horizontal to the eyebrow and goes almost all the way about to the bone. The plastic surgeon is going to do 3 layers of stitches. We have requested for them NOT to use a general anesthetic and to sedate instead. However, because my daughter is only 3-years-old, they may have to put her fully under in order to keep her under control during the procedure. Because of the deepness of the gash, she's being given penacillin tonight and will be given another antibiotic in the same class tomorrow.

I've re-read you PERI-OPERATIVE OPTIMAL SURGICAL CONSIDERATIONS blog and there is a lot of great stuff in there that I can discuss with the docs here. I also know you use progesterone sometimes to help your patients come out of anesthesia. However, I am wondering if all those same considerations you talk about apply for children in the same way they apply for adults. I know kids generally heal better than adults and I am wondering if my daughter's strict OPTIMAL diet and lifestyle will make some of those recommendations a non-issue.

For kids, do you have any special issues that are at the TOP of your list to discuss with a surgeon and anesthesiologist before a short notice surgery like this? Thanks.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

water........and CO post op. They need ketosis because they are not myelinated........anesthesia has quick effects but they bounce back faster so they need a mito boost with MCTs and good water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.