1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

PDF Nutritional Data on High DHA Seafood Sources

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by PaulG, Jul 7, 2014.

1. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Looking to get value for money in choosing my DHA Food sources, so I created a PDF based on the data at http://skipthepie.org/ which is sourced from the 2010 USDA food nutrition Database.

DHA Analysis
    • Oysters are not the number one source, Salmon is with approx 3 times the amount
    • Canned Mackerel and Sardines are a good source of DHA, cheap and readily available, just make sure the can has no BPA in it and no Trans Fats.
    • Crustaceans were not included as they have low amount of DHA per 100g (0.0442g)
    • One tablespoon of Caviar same as 100g of other seafoods

Fish Oil Analysis
    With regards fish oil supplements I do not take any myself as it is best to get them in their biological package but potentially one or two per day taken with the natural biological package *might* be OK so considering either doing this or just make sure I eat 3 tins of mackerel per day.

Other Analysis
    • Oysters are very high in Zinc and Copper
    • Clams are significantly higher in B12 and Iron
    • Mussels are highest in Folate
    DHA Food Source Nutritional Comparison_001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Tanya

Tanya Gold

3. kovita

kovita Gold

thanks a lot, Paul! Great work and very helpfull. I will print it for my kitchen white board. Curiously mackerel is number one fish in our family, it comes always wild caught, cheap and readily available even in the middle of continental Europe. We are the biggest private mackerel consumer in the main fish importer here in Wien. Sardines are cheap and tasty as well, but they do not come regulary. I have a question about halibut, another very cheap, oily and readily available fish here (apart of trouts and other sweet water fishes which we consume as well). Maybe you have the data on halibut in the sources you used?

Theka likes this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Kovita, Paul used skipthepie. to compile this data. Here is more information re: halibut http://skipthepie.org/?q=halibut

5. kovita

kovita Gold

thanks, Tanya!

Tanya likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I like your new picture, Kovita, but you might want to rotate it a bit - it is upside down:)

7. kovita

kovita Gold

I wish, Tanya! I tried three different browsers and 3 different photos and all of them are upside down once loaded. So far I prove stupid and did not discover any rotate option. If you k ow how, please share! I do not feel upside down anymore!

8. Tanya

Tanya Gold

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

From down here you look perfectly fine....;)
    If memory serves windows photogallery has a flip and rotate facility.

Snowie and Tanya like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Gold

You are right, Lah:) iPhoto on a mac also has it....

11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Paul,great job. Thanks. I also try to maximise bang for buck and also opt for salmon. About the oyster thing think that it provides glycans that tensegrity thing again so it is more multifunctional than salmon unless you eat the skin. The oyster still wjns though for all the water it cleans and allthe useful critters it sucks up. Ecumenic polyglot gut party time.

12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Kovita,understanding your problem nnow. A correct side up photo is upside down when loaded. Try rotating the photo to upside down and see if it arrives right side up.You sshouldnotneed to,obviously it is a glitch of some sort but it just might work.

Tanya likes this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I used to rely so on Mike (Gangrad) for things like that. Miss him so very much - he was a true gentleman....
    But as I said before many times, you Lah are so great at things like this.....:)

14. nicld

nicld Gold

Thanks Paul,

Atlantic salmon is one of our favorite foods. Just had some Alaskan Sockeye and it was not as good at the Atlantic stuff.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

It seems to me that oysters are the perfect package ....... I am absolutely sticking with them.... and filling in with salmon and sardines and mackerel.....

This is what Jack has been telling us over and over......

thanks for this table Paul .... it clearly shows us why oysters are pretty perfect!

Christine_L and Brent Patrick like this.
  16. PaulG

PaulG New Member

So given that Oysters do not have the most DHA per 100g it must be its unique biological package and evolutionary history that makes it the most optimal food for us. Jack pays attention to apparent anomalies in nature (eg the russian cosmonaut losing biological time in space) and so should we.

I can imagine that if an alien species that had used up its food resources on its own planet came to earth and analysed nutritional density it might conclude that human brains would be ideal but perhaps through Quantum mechanisms such an undertaking would lead to their ultimate destruction.

So, we have learnt here that its not only a food/nutrition story..yes..so what is unique about oysters (and crustaceans) from the perspectives of water chemistry and QED?. I think Jack has more to say on this or probably more likely he has said it already many times and I am too dumb to remember/recall it. Either way I feel he is like a modern day Willy Wonka waiting for someone to discover the "Secret of the Oyster".

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/oysters-vs-scallops.10716/page-3

From https://www.mpg.de/942820/F001_Focus_020_025.pdf

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

remember JK talked about copper etc. in his food......

Christine_L likes this.
  18. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Article on sardines http://drlwilson.com/Articles/SARDINES.htm

Duchess Sunshine likes this.
  19. Jude

Jude Gold

'Sardines.............
    2. Have three to four cans each week.

This will provide enough omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D for most people, so you won’t need a supplement. I have seen no appreciable mercury or other toxicity at this level of sardine consumption.
    By contrast, most all other fish and all shellfish, even wild-caught salmon, are often toxic today and should be totally avoided.''

Good stuff Paul.:)

Pity about the final sentence:(

Christine_L and Tanya like this.
  20. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Oysters are the best source of electrons…what we're really after. They are cold water, whole creatures and best eaten live….hard to beat that.
    The DHA stuff is right behind the electrons.

Duchess Sunshine and Christine_L like this.