1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Pardus' journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Pardus, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Hi all, welcome to my journal.

21 yo male living in Alberta, Canada.

5'8" 159 lbs.

Strict keto paleo: 20 months

CT: 2 months

Leaky gut Rx + Leptin Rx: 4 months

Problems:

- leaky gut

- jelly belly

- dry skin

- eczema

- seborrheic dermatitis

- brain fog

- chronic bloating

- allergies to mould, dust, pollen, etc.

- tendonitis/tendonosis

- cold hands (suspect hypothyroidism)

- morning fatigue + difficulty falling asleep at night (suspect adrenal fatigue)

- easily stressed out

History/past:

- given anti-biotics multiple times throughout life due to pneumonia

- SAD diet: instant noodles, canned food, TV microwave dinners, fast food, lots of soda

- experimented with vegetarian for 4 months, vegan diet for another 4 months

- chronic cardio maniac

- chronic night owl

- harsh chemical creams and steroids used for persistent eczema (since birth)

- delivered by C-section

- not breast-fed, only soy formula

Current supplements:

NAC

iodine

selenium

magnesium

zinc

MSM

coQ10

PQQ

K2 MK-4

D3

B complex

Quercetin

Curcumin

Resveratrol

Betaine HCL

Bromelain

Diet:

Fish

Grassfed beef + lamb

green vegetables

grassfed beef liver 1-2 times per week

No eggs, dairy, nuts, grains, legumes of any kind (no green beans or peas either), no fruits, no starches, no nightshades.

Low oxalate, low histamine foods.

2 meals per day. Breakfast at 6:00am, Dinner around 4:00-5:00 pm.

Lifestyle:

HIT 15 mins once per week, in the afternoon (Body By Science, Doug McGuff)

CT during day: cold walk/cold shower

CT at night, 2 hrs before bed: cold showers

Blueblocking glasses go on at sunset. In bed by 9:30pm, asleep by around 10:00pm, and up by 6:00am

2. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Update:

Finally starting to see a little progress.

I have definitely learned to appreciate the importance of getting enough sleep. I always notice on days where I'm sleep deprived that my cold tolerance is terrible.

When I get more sleep, my skin seems to heal a bit better by next morning (as long as I don't scratch while I'm asleep).

My hands/feet are still mostly cold, only warming up for about 1 hr after eating. My cold shower has increased to 20 mins @ 40F (5C) (thankfully, it's still snowing up here in Alberta). Although I feel like I could go longer by the end of the 20 minutes.

In the beginning I absolutely dreaded the cold showers! The first 2-3 minutes are the worst!

However, over time I found that there are various tricks you can use to make the entry more bearable.

1. I think by far the easiest way is to start the shower at just a tiny bit colder than skin temp, then drop the temp every minute (usually takes me about 3-5 increments), then start your stop watch and drop it down all the way cold.

2. The second best way (if you don't have time to spare with gradual decrease in temp) is to hold your breath and stick your face right under the cold full blast. This activates the dive reflex. Your face will feel cold, but your body will feel less cold comparitively because there are more nerves on your face. Hold your face under the stream for as long as you can hold your breath. By the time you need to take a breath, you should be fine.

As for my leaky gut:

My skin looks a lot better since the past month or so. I would say there's about 70% remission in my eczema so far. The major factor in this was the fact that I addressed my chronic constipation.

I think there's a major problem with how I used to approach leaky gut. I would focus so much on healing the intestinal brush border with glutamine, coconut oil, bone broths, NAC, anti-fungals, candida-killers, bio-film breakers, nutrient rich foods, etc... The problem is, no matter how much of these "healing" agents I threw at it, I would never see results. Recently, I've realized that no matter what I do, NOTHING will heal if the whole thing is plugged up with crap (literally!).

I used high dose magnesium to ensure that I have a bowel movement between 1-2 times a day. I have gone regularly 1-2 times a day for the past month, and I feel fantastic! Just making sure to have a bowel movement every day has helped my leaky gut more than all the glutamine, bone broths, NAC, etc that I used for months and months.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

3. shilohman

shilohman New Member

My suggestion is take your time on the cold showers and don't push it. You eventually will get to where you like cold showers.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I agree, Magnesium is great for bm's, plus muscle and nerve relaxation.

I guess you use orange lights at night? Or turn everything off after sundown? Amazing how that makes one sleepy so fast.

Hope you are mending your night-owl ways. :)

Oh, I see you are. Great!

5. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Update:

I have been trying out topical vitamin C on the skin. I've read that it's used sometimes as a treatment for burns. I've done 3 or so treatments, spaced a few days apart. I can't tell if my skin has just been healing naturally or if it's an effect of the vitamin C, but it definitely looks and feels better. There are only a few active lesions remaining on my body, most of them have cleared up. In the past I have also had success with apple cider vinegar for eczema, but it always came back after I stopped using it. Apparently vitamin C stays in the skin for up to 72 hours after application, so I might be able to get away with less frequent treatments this way.

One thing about eczema is that the itch-scratch-itch cycle can sometimes leave me in a scratching frenzy. It's like I lose control and go into a trance while scratching. One thing I've found that really stops a scratching frenzy is cold. Cold is really great for calming my perpetual itching.

In my neolithic days I would sometimes ice areas of eczema on my body in a desperate attempt to get some relief so I could fall asleep. It really was more of a last ditch effort, I never got the idea to use it consistently. Nowadays, I run itchy skin under 40F water until it goes numb. If the itch returns after the skin warms up, I repeat the process, but usually cold makes it go away for a good hour or so.

I took some progress pics. I do not have any pics of when I was at my worst: I didn't have the heart to take them. It was really that bad. I couldn't even bear to look in a mirror. At the time, I thought I would never get better, so I didn't think to take pics because I wasn't planning on auditioning as an extra in the latest zombie movie anytime soon.

I will not post the progress pics yet. When I am optimal (however long that takes) I will post my final pics and progress pics here and you will be able to see the difference in how far I've come along.

It's finally starting to warm up, so I can't take cold walks anymore. I also have to settle for slightly warmer showers and longer times. My hands feel warmer a little longer after eating (maybe an hour and a half now instead of an hour), but it might be because the ambient temp is generally warmer now. Still, I'm hopeful that the thyroid might finally be starting to respond to CT.

Thanks for reading.

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

+2 on the magnesium and the importance of bm's. I clog up easily and THAT has caused major issues with my liver which i thought I'd fixed by doing a liver cleanse as prescribed by a naturopath. I did feel a little better but taking lots of mg on a nightly basis has brought the most improvement.

Welcome, btw!

7. Katiejem

Katiejem New Member

How much mag do you take? I am taking 400 at night and it's not doing the trick...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Hi Katie,

Magnesium dosage depends on the individual. You may consider increasing the dosage 100 mg at a time until you become regular.

For more severe cases of irregularity, you may need to accept a period of higher dosage and uncomfortably loose stools in order to clear out the pipes initially, in order to start with a clean slate.

9. Katiejem

Katiejem New Member

Thank you! I am at 600 right now and think I need to go higher!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I took 800 mg mag maleate 2 hrs before bed..... And if that does not do the trick I add another 400 in the am with my BAB and other supplements. The only thing I take at night is the mag, and let's just say if I forget, well...... I am reminded in a hurry that I need it. So I am religious about remembering.