1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Parasympathetic dominant

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Stephen W, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

If a person is parasympathetic dominant, can engaging in short, multiple high intensity (sympathetic dominant) activities daily (heavy weights, sprinting etc) slowly make a permanent change to a balanced autonomic nervous system?

And eventually back down the training but still keep the balance
    Thanks

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Depends on the cause of the hyperactivity of the PVN versus the vagus. The path to Rome is not the same.

Stephen W and Alex97232 like this.
  3. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Is it possible to be genetically ANS imbalanced? I need MORE pvn stimulus

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Seriously doubt that anyone is vagal dominant in todays world.

5. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

All studies (NCBI) that I find regarding non allergic vasomotor rhinitis states all subjects had significant autonomic dysfunction to the control. Stating overactive parasympathetic hence dilation of blood vessels in the turbinates etc. plus, all other symptoms relating to parasympathetic dominance I seem to have. Fast digestion, sluggish, allergy etc.
    Anything adrenaline related constricts the blood vessels in my stuffy nose and I can finally nose breathe easily! For a few minutes..
    Thanks

6. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

By the way, alcohol or nicotine gum make my nasal turbinates swell even more. ( nicotine was just an experiment)
    Does that give any clue into which nero/ANS system going on?
    Thanks for your time Jack.

7. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

So, Jack, a dose of phenylethylamine clears my nose. Temporarily. As I thought it should since it stimulates the sympathetic nervous system. As would cocaine I believe, but I’m not going that far.
    I still feel this concludes I have an ANS imbalance..

..Or the blood vessels in my nose f**ked? If so, do you know if is a way to treat unresponsive blood vessels?
    Thanking you
    Steve

8. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

9. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

10. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

@Sun Disciple I Did a year and a half of very dedicated Buteyko. I had a control pause of 37-42 for 3 months in the end. In fact my nose probably got worse.
    And I realised that the only reason my nose would clear up during breath holds or with reduced breathing is because of the adrenaline from half suffocating.
    Thanks for the reply though.

11. Sun Disciple

Breath holds on exhale while walking or shaking head increases nitrous oxide in nasal pathway.

12. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Nitric Oxide is a vasodilator so I can’t see how that theory works. Studies show patients with swollen turbinates be it from allergies or whatever, had more nitric oxide in their turbinates. Being a vasodilator this world increase blood to the nasal region. So I can’t see that being the reason. Even Buteyko docs don’t completely know the reason.
    I asked a very well known Buteyko doc if adrenaline in breath holds are the reason, and he said it could be one of the reasons for sure.

13. Sun Disciple

My bad I typoed I meant Nitric oxide

14. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

I’ve been 100% nose breathing for over a year and a half now, (super difficult to get passed the suffocating stage at the start!.. until my body got used to more carbon dioxide)
    I still tape my mouth shut every night, however still turbinate trouble/swelling and hard to nose breathe :(
    Thanks anyway I’ll keep searching