1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Paleo Salad Dressing

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Raiken3712, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

So I was wanting to make a basic salad dressing for using with Spinach and maybe some other leafy greens.

This is confusing me........

It says a good rule of thumb is to use 1 part Vinegar and 3 parts oil...and than all the recipes call for things completely different than the rule of thumb. For example the Balsamic vinaigrette says 3/4 cup of Vinegar and Oil both...that's 50/50 not 25/75 which is what 1 part vinegar 3 parts oil would be.

What am I missing? Also have any recommendations for a good site to bookmark? I don't have many ingredients though I'd be willing to buy more for later. I was going to try one with Apple Cider Vinegar, Olive oil, coconut oil possibly, mustard, black pepper, and garlic.

Does that sound like it would be ok? Also since I'm confused about the whole recipe thing what amounts of each thing do I need and is a blender the ideal way to make it?

Thanks

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

The beauty of a vinaigrette is that it's infinitely customizeable. There's really no right or wrong way to do it. Do what tastes good. I tend to do 1 part vinegar to 2 parts olive oil if I'm using something like ACV or red wine vinegar. If I'm using balsamic, I'll use a bit less because the sweetness can be overwhelming. Start out with whatever ratio you think sounds good, and taste it. If it doesn't taste good, add something and taste again. You'll eventually hit on something you like.

Minced (or grated) raw garlic in a vinaigrette is fabulous, but be prepared for heat / pungency, and dragon-breath after the fact. ;) If raw garlic isn't quite your thing, try minced shallots instead...a little bit more mild. A little squirt of prepared Dijon mustard is also good in a vinaigrette and will help keep it emulsified for longer. Also, don't forget the salt. Greens need salt.

You don't need a blender at all...just a whisk and a bowl. Dump ingredients in bowl, whisk, toss with greens. Easy peasy. That recipe you linked to is WAYYYYYYY overcomplicating things. You don't need to drizzle anything in slowly. That's only important if you're making aioli or mayo and you're worried about incorporating air. Salad dressing is not about air. At least, not at my house. I don't even keep dressing prepped ahead of time - I make it right in the salad bowl, right before we eat.

3. janagram

janagram New Member

I just made a great dressing for an asian style salad...with almond butter, apple cider vinegar and mac nut oil, in about equal proportions, or you could cut back a bit on the vinegar....plus minced garlic, ginger, and some tamari or salt to taste!

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

here's one of my favorites:

bacon fat, apple cider vinegar, 1Tb of mustard... heat in pan and serve over veggies... nom, nom,nom

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

So good over potatoes, if you happen to eat them...LOL

6. taste taste taste. I like a very vinegar heavy one, but that changes too. I put my in a jar with lid and just shake it up right before pouring. Less dishes! A little mustard added makes everything stay mixed up.

Balsamic is my fav, I think it goes with everything.

This isn't bakin, you can't go wrong because you can always add more of one if needed to your taste. Don't forget to add a little salt

7. Girl, that sounds awesome! I'm puttin this on the list!

8. janagram

janagram New Member

thanks...to be honest I think it could be better with balsamic (for the sweetness)

9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I make this Pesto Vinaigrette in my Magic Bullet:

1C fresh basil leaves

2 TBL olive oil

1 TBL vinegar

1 clove garlic

Pinch of salt

Fresh ground pepper

I have some basil growing in the backyard. Will have to make some of this soon...

10. diane

diane Gold

I have an awesome dressing that has ginger, garlic, cilantro leaves, olive oil, rice vinegar (which can be substituted) with a bit of wishabi. So delicious!

11. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Thanks for all the ideas and tips. I'll see about making some tomorrow as I went to work early today so no time. How much dressing do you usually use for just yourself? Half-cup, cup, perhaps depending on how big of a salad you're eating?

12. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Nowhere near that, for me. I use maybe 3 tbsp, tops. This is part of why I mix the dressing up in the salad bowl - if you put the dressing in the bowl and then toss the greens in it, you get a little dressing on all the greens, rather than getting a whole bunch of dressing on some parts and none on others.

13. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I was just throwing amounts out there...if I would have thought about it more I would have used tablespoons not cups :p. Not that it matters but thanks for the input.

So if you were going to do 1 part vinegar 3 parts oil with ACV, Coconut Oil, EVOO, Mustard, and Spices how much would you put of each for 1 serving of salad. It would be an easy conversion if making more salad.

Since you said you put the salad in the bowl you mixed. I'm guessing that means you only make enough for the salad you are eating.

Perhaps 1 tablespoon Vinegar 2 tablespoons Evoo, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil with 1 tsp mustard? I'll figure it out but like to have a good plan before starting. I like to have some idea with new things.

Thanks

14. I would start with one part vinegar to one part oil or fat of your choice, (bacon fat is awesome) add salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, to taste. Just make up enough for what you'll immediately use, no need to make up a bunch ahead of time.