1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oysters

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Michael Phils, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Read the Ravenous Brain.........

Danco3636 likes this.
  2. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Just found a place in Vancouver that does "buck a shuck" on the daily. Epi-paleo heaven. I was coming down with a bit of a cold after all the stress etc from my final exams last week. Powered through 30 oysters tonight and feels like its a cold no longer

nicld, margor_j and caroline like this.
  3. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Everyone should go check out the "oysters vs clams" thread on the circadian biohackers facebook page, it was posted July 1. Some interesting posts on there today by JK

4. margor_j

margor_j New Member

hmm this is interesting - Im having around 4-6 per day here in thailand. but at $1.50 a dozen, i think il ramp it up, for my last two weeks here especially! i do find them hard to stomach but im also learning to control my gag reflex in the process :) remember, these are not the teeny tiny ones of NZ / Aus.. theyre quite fleshy.. its about a 10 min cycle for me to pick them up from the markets..
    they have a heap of seafood there, BUT, because i smell seafood there, i know i cant do it, i cant buy it and eat it.. i did look at raw king prawns and thought 'hmm could i? ' im not sure.. :-/

remember, dont ever ask me to be on 'Fear Factor' with you, because Il the losing component for the eating challenges.. #justsayin :eek:

and actually, you know what iv noticed, after feeling like trash for two weeks when i got back from indo, actually, this week im flying - i dont know if its hormonal (it can be the norm that i feel like shit for two weeks after a period), the chinese treatments im getting, or the oysters - or is it a combo.. hmmmm

start qi kung course tomorro, yay!

:)

5. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Ive been at em for a few months now and I learned to like them. Especially with a bit of mignonette or lemon juice. I guess its my body telling me something. When I started eating them my brain would feel a bit inflamed 12-24 hours after and that was after maybe a dozen..but now it seems they don't bother me at all. Gobbled down 42 on Wednesday night and the waitress was kinda shocked, said she hadn't seen anyone eat that many in two years!

6. Inger

Inger Silver

Please copy them here Clayton... i do not have facebook......

SeaHorse likes this.
  7. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Inger I would but the thread would probably take forever to copy/paste. Its probably 5 or so pages long. He's discussing radiation in seafood and how it is hormetic and cites several studies of why it is. Here's a few links to some of the papers

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21436606
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19368321
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18846261
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=radiation+DNA+repair+parp1+parp2&btnG&hl=en&as_sdt=0,22&as_vis=1

Here's a few good excerpts

"No Brian I do not think radiation is that big a deal in seafood. In fact radiation is hormetic. I have about 40 cites on this...here is one of my laptop ..http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22074737"

"Madam Curie over 100 years ago studied this so it far predates the paleo movement.. The radioactivity she studied may be the first “radiation hormesis mechanism” that evolved for protecting the “language of life” – DNA. And this was before we knew what DNA was. Today we know that low doses of radiation stimulate DNA repair through the activation of four transcription factors, PARP-1, PARP2, ATM and Ku70. Well , let me rephrase that........I know it, but it is clear the ancestral establishment do not."

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Kresser and Jaminet are scaring people away from seafood..........and toward bacon and skeletal muscle meats.......horrible idea that supports their business models.

9. Clayton

Clayton New Member

Well I will admit I was certainly hesitant about seafood in the beginning...just in regards to heavy metals, radiation etc but fear is diminishing

10. Clayton

Clayton New Member

And that fear is just based on beliefs like you say

David Limacher likes this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The quicker we all realize that we’ve been taught how to live by a community that were operating on the momentum of an ignorant past the more rapidly we can embrace our reality as an uncharted journey that reveals only the present moment. We might begin to realize there is no cause and effect, and it is from this zero point you must begin to navigate. You might have to prepare to equip your mind to grasp an inexplicable future ahead.

Brent Patrick and caroline like this.
  12. Inger

Inger Silver

I love you guys...!!!!!

I have thought... and thought... and also researched. About the health of Finnish fisherman among other things.. They are one of the healthiest population in this country.. and the Baltic Sea is one of the most radioactive ones on earth..... because of what Russia have dumped in it etc. Our fishermen have been eating so much fish from that sea - and what gives? They radiate from health if anything......;)
    I know this one fisherman in person, that fishes not far from here and brings his fish to the store where I go shopping. He just radiates energy and health.... one amazing man! And he and his family have eaten fish from Baltic Sea all the time... my bro knows he worked for him a year or so and said they had fish every day

Wow. I love to think about it as hormetic.... :)

Clayton likes this.
  13. nicld

nicld Gold

Clayton, did you feel like it was just a slight headache? I have about 2-3 dozen a day (canned :() and have been feeling like I have had a slight headache for a while now. Not feeling energized everyday yet.

14. Clayton

Clayton New Member

It was more of a brain fog. If you've read the current blog there's a section that talks about inflammation and PUFA replacement (i think right in the first paragraph). Jack also mentioned that on here somewhere..im crazy busy today or else id paste it here for ya lol

15. nicld

nicld Gold

^^^^ Thanks, I'll check that out again. Just getting tired of the constant slight headache and the head feeling hot all the time.

16. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

Didn't Jeremy say something like "you have to start from where you are" ? He is very wise in so many ways.

caroline likes this.
  17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Gulf oysters are getting larger. But my ability to swallow them whole is improving. Instead of cutting the largest ones in half, I am getting more daring. Guess my esophagus is changing. One was actually a little bit painful in one spot, but it went down!

nicld and Martin like this.
  18. Martin

Martin Gold

I can get pacific er-sters at my local grocery and to me, the taste is superior to Gulf/Atlantic. And I get extra radiation! Yum. And now that the new Borg mega-corp Wally-Mart* has opened, they have the big size container and that really drops the "per-gulp" price down.

*for our overseas friends - WallMart is a huge, ravenous, corporate entity that sells all kinds of goods cheap, mainly from China, and they drive the local, small business owners out of business. Perhaps you've heard of it. But they have my Pacific oysters! So in that respect, I'm a Wally-Mart whore, too.

The Head

19. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I am the opposite on taste preference. Have access to both fresh Gulf and Pacific oysters here. I totally prefer the flavor Gulf oysters. The Pacific oysters from Seattle area at the seafood shop are bigger (I have to cut them in half) but don't taste as good to me.

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I like salty oysters