1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Oysters vs scallops

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Tanya, May 1, 2014.

1. Tanya

Tanya Gold

It is so much easier for me to have scallops then oysters (availability, opening them up, and most of all the taste). Scallops are no doubt are my favorite food. When I compared them to oysters, I don't see much of a difference in their nutritional value. So, if I am still not too crazy about oysters, are scallops is the next best thing or are they equal in that regard. Someone, please, educate me:confused:

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Tanya, do you eat the scallops raw?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nothing beats oysters for a reversal.

4. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I just could not do it raw, Sally:( However, I hardly cook them that much - about 30 sec. each side and I love them that way....Do I still waste it though, what do you think?

5. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Even if they are not raw, but lightly steamed?

6. nicld

nicld Gold

I am with you Tanya. I prefer scallops too. None of my local grocery stores carry fresh oysters so my option is canned. Unfortunately the scallops are frozen too. I use both in my seafood bisque along with mussels, I really like mussels too.

margor_j likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I am relieved to hear that, Nicole.:) Still, I know that we are way outnumbered by everyone's dedication to oysters here.... I really enjoy so much more eating scallops then oysters. I wish somebody would just compare them side by side and explain why the oysters deserve the #1 spot.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

read the current blog comments........then come talk to me.

9. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I can tell you this Tanya. The part of the scallop that is generally eaten is just the adductor muscle. It corresponds to just the little chewy knob portion on the oyster. The whole scallop is huge, much larger than an oyster, and the rest of the scallop's body is almost always discarded when they clean it, unless you are getting them in the huge shells. So eating a scallop the way we normally eat it is more like eating a "steak from the sea," (its pretty much all muscle meat), than it is eating the whole animal like in the case of the oyster (sans shell). The way we eat mussels is closer to oysters, except that we rarely eat mussels raw.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^this.

Shijin13 likes this.
  11. JackFrake

JackFrake Gold

A much more 'dense' option would be 'surf and surf'...

Put the scallop in the oyster and slurp it all up. -
    "Coconut" (song) remix

Goes well w/ the lime and coconut too.

Shijin13, sooperb and NeilBB like this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you very much, Neil.:) Jack, I think I got it now - it is certainly a very important distinction to consider....I guess, I'll just have to close my eyes and think of something pleasant and just take my medicine (oops, oysters) ;)

Shijin13 and NeilBB like this.
  13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

So an oyster is more nose-to-tail eating than a scallop would be. :)
    Thanks Neil! I didn't know that about scallops, since all the shells I have beachcombed are of the smaller variety.

Shijin13, nicld and NeilBB like this.
  14. Grmoline

Grmoline Gold

I watched an episode of a documentary here, Monkey Planet I think it was called. It showed a bunch of monkeys who have adapted to a seafood diet - oysters included. They'd bash the shells using rocks and slurp up the contents. Could be we are witnessing the building of a brain?

15. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I am addicted to having oysters every day now. :)

NeilBB likes this.
  16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Josh should chime in here about my proposed experiment for manilla.

Shijin13 and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  17. Josh

Josh Gold

1. Take 1 Monkey
    2. Put Transcranial magnetic stimulation over the Broca's area
    3. Feed it seafood while running the mag stim on Broca's for a few years until it starts talking......

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yes.......we are going to do this.

19. Martin

Martin Gold

Forget the monkey, I'll volunteer!

20. Josh

Josh Gold

Just ate some oysters of unknown provenance. Working on the Wairano, etc. angle.....

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.