1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oysters a key source of 1H.

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Jack Kruse, Dec 21, 2017.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Asian store have giga pacific oysters($9.95 /pound of meat)
    and
    eastern live oysters (expensive)

amazon have canned, boiled eastern oysters (about the same price as gigas.

When in Asian store
    go to fish mongers
    find live oysters (on left side)
    gigas oysters are in the back of you

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I'll check the Asian stores around near me. Thank you again Jan.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Nadya likes this.
  4. Christina Gagnon

Christina Gagnon New Member

@BrentPatrick Do you happen to how much nutrition is lost by eating cooked oysrers vs raw?

5. In terms of how much nutrition is lost with cooking boiling etc especially in regards to DHA ..that would depend on times and temptemperature ranges.
    Best bet for complete uptake of DHA is to eat raw.
    I always eat raw and when out dining will eat oyster Kilpatrick if im with friends who are entry level and give them the experience of eating and enjoying oysters before they experience raw.
    Eating cooked/grilled oysters is better than no oysters.
    This not being scientific but I know when my blood is saturated with omega 3 if I nick myself shaving I cannot stop the bleed for several hours.
    In Australia it is currently winter we have had nice sunny days but low UV...so I have been eating oysters constantly each week to pull in as much full spectrum solar radiation as possible.Everyone around me is sick with the flu I have not been sick once since increasing seafood "cooked" , raw oysters and inclusion of CT the past two winters.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  6. Christina Gagnon

@Brent Patrick Thank you so much for your reply - I LOVE raw oysters but i can't eat them or any raw fish because I have hemochromatosis (iron overload) and could die if I eat them. When I was a kid I would eat them by the bucket full and I miss that culinary pleasure a lot.

7. I have been tested and I dont have it but several uncles on my mothers side had it.

If your zipcode is inhibiting you absorbing solar rays a relocation closer to the equator or regular visits/holidays would be a step in the right direction to mitigate the lack of DHA consumption and thus able to get more push from UV to build your EZ.
    If I recall correctly Jack has said previously a hack such as this can last up to 6 weeks.

But if you can eat cooked seafood I recall being discussed on the forum that a reduction of DHA is around 30 to 40% as opposed to Raw.

Phosphene, Christina Gagnon and drezy like this.
  8. Christina Gagnon

9. Christina Gagnon

@Brent Patrick thanks so much for your info - my lattitude is 38.59 so probably need to consider moving south. Maybe I'll go to the next mitocondriac convention in Mexico too :) You probably already know but in order for hemochromatosis to express itself you need to receive the gene from both parents, and if you get the gene from only one parent you can still be a carrier and pass it along to your children so they should be checked too.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  10. "Here is what you won't find in a diet book: REAL SCIENCE OF LIGHT:
    This will shock the eye docs (and food guru's writing diet books) because they all were taught to believe in medical school as I was that the anterior chamber of the eye blocks all UV light. The picture below shows that this is false. It turns out recent data over the last ten years now shows that is utter bullocks. Now their disbelief will rise further. The small amount of UV light that does get through is the key stumulus to the melanocortin pathways I wrote about in my Cold Thermogenesis blog from long ago. What does it stimulate? POMC. Recent scientists 92007) have found another surprising link for clinicians beliefs but it has not been well publicized by those in know. The link is between tanning and cancer: p53--a gene long implicated as a cancer suppressor--appears to be key to helping us get a tan to build out more melanin to abosrb even more UV light.

The simple act of catching a few rays that getthrough the lens and cornea sets a complex biological process into motion. In response to ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun the eye is capable of using a second messenger system to activatethe skin cells. This is done via POMC. Skin cells called kerotinocytes begin pumping out melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH), which in turn binds to MSH receptors on pigment-producing skin cells called melanocytes which sit right above human fat mass in the subcutaneous space. Thatmass is where leptin sits awaiting to be activated by solar photons to tell the hypothalmus just how much energy is in the body photoelectrically to make a stochastic calculus guess of how muchfood a human would need based upon the incident EMF's from the sun a human actually gets. This starts a cascade of events that leads to melanin production and a nice brown tan that increases our ability to absorb more sunlight because melanin is a UV fluorophore protein. Researchers at Dana Farber went even further. Even artificially raising levels of p53 with small amounts of UV light in cells boosted POMC expression, buttressing the idea that p53 activates POMC. Are you still afraid of the sun? Maybe you should be more worried about your glasses, sunglasses or your IOL implants now huh?In turning on POMC with UV light, p53 coincidentally prompts production of the peptide beta-endorphin, the brain's natural opiate and another POMC product. This opiate is built into the structure ofPOMC and it appears nature has built humans tobecome addicted to solar exposure. How is that fora reversal of forture for our pals in dermatology and opthomology?" JK
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1227-exposing-eyes-alone-to-uv-light-can-trigger-a-tan/

Phosphene likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy Gold

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse
    @drezy

In above link Jack wrote:
    After all we never find the Neanderthal skeletons in extreme Northern climates when the core ice samples show it was freezing cold? Coincidience or not? You decide.

The moral here is that we need to be aware of just how much we really are not even aware of it.
    -----------------------------

I am thinking about ivory.
    Most ivory in the world comes for Siberia.
    Laptev Sea
    Ivory come from tropical animals.
    That suggests that that area used to be tropical. (So the Neandertals maight have lived in tropics or in not as cold climate as we assume now).
    Ie; Earth used to spin on different axis then it spins now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptev_Sea

Toll noted[25] sizable and economically significant accumulations of perfectly preserved fossil ivory in recent beaches, drainage areas, river terraces and river beds within the New Siberian Islands. The later scientific studies demonstrated that the ivory accumulated over a period of some 200,000 years.

upload_2018-8-1_7-33-47.png

Meet the mammoth hunters collecting rare tusks in Russia.
    http://www.sciencefocus.com/article/nature/mammoth-fossil-hunters-russia-siberia
    5th December 2017

upload_2018-8-1_7-59-3.png

==================================
    https://www.livescience.com/47460-neanderthal-extinction-revealed.html

upload_2018-8-1_8-7-21.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Phosphene and Christina Gagnon like this.
  13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Jack wrote:
    Many modern scientists believe the Young Dryas where the reason modern humans began to introduce modern agriculture to survive. How ironic is that notion to the paleo community?

It appears that the abrupt onset of severe cold in Europe 13,000 years ago (an epigenetic event) may have stimulated us to consider using agriculture to survive.

==============================
    Is there any research attempting to correlate Young Dryas or other similar events with major changes in earth rotation axis?

14. Christina Gagnon

@JanSz A few years back I read an article describing how archiologists discovered remnants of dried flowers around Neanderthal grave sites suggesting that they brought flowers to the graves of their lost loved ones. I love how this contradicts the typical picture in most people minds about Neanderthals being dumb and beastial. They may have been poets! Apparently this flower burial theory has been debunked but I'm still open to the gentle giant theory because there is eveidence that they cared for their elderly and one person said with their large noses they must have at last stopped to smell the flowers :)

Phosphene likes this.
  15. Christina Gagnon

16. drezy

drezy Gold

I don't know about that with the general rule of: Everything old is new again

Phosphene likes this.
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I love how this contradicts the typical picture in most people minds about Neanderthals being dumb and beastial. They may have been poets!
    ---
    I like your story better.

upload_2018-8-1_9-30-46.png

Phosphene likes this.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

I claim confirmation bias on that one.

In all honesty what I can gather is that Neanderthals must have been really good in the sack.

You know someone somewhere in time must have said:

Alright, kids one more time then off to bed... So I made it out to the clearing and there she was with her dark hair, tan skin, and noticeably larger cranium snapping a wild boar's neck in just one twist and I knew then and there she was going to be the queen of my cave.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Now you talking:
    This:
    upload_2018-8-1_9-59-27.jpeg

or this:
    upload_2018-8-1_10-0-59.jpeg

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My mitochondria is from my Grandma.

upload_2018-8-1_10-3-29.png