1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oyster season!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ealachan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

You are really lucky Kathy...I haven't been able to source any without crap added to it except salmon.

2. Endless

Endless Guest

I'd ask to see the packaging anyway....apparently it is pale yellow naturally, according to the link above. I'm going to ask at my local fish market though.

3. I had my first BBQ oysters yesterday. Fresh from the fish monger that day. They were heavenly and not fishy at all. I wish I had bought more than a dozen. I can't wait to have them again!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I would like to try making some.

5. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Nice! i just got back from a weekend in NYC. Salmon ceviche in a traditional Mexican restaurant. Shrimp ceviche at Chelsea Market. the fish market there is amazing. Oysters and clams overlooking Union Square at sunset. You can eat out and be be epi-paleo in NYC.

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I found non-smoked canned oysters yesterday, and bought a can, figuring I could sneak them into the clam chowder I was making. I popped the can open, drained and rinsed them, tasted one...and they were HORRIBLE. Ugh. Hork. Badness. I can understand how anybody who has only had canned oysters can hate them! Blech. Never again. Glad I tasted them before I ruined my soup with them.

In other news, I made a really nice clam & cod chowder, using pureed cauliflower to thicken rather than a roux. I did put some cream in it, but next time I won't. Recipe is on my blog if anyone wants to try it.

7. Thanks for the inspiration! We were just talking about it being clam chowder time!!! I found some Okra at the farmers market yesterday - I'm going to attempt a roux free gumbo. Paleo Comfort Foods makes a roux with coconut flour and almond flour, but it just doesn't do the same thing chemically, so I dunno. Any suggestions ms Chef?

8. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Hmm...I've never made gumbo, so I'm not much use to you there, I guess. I also hate, hate, hate okra...LOL Okra is right up there in a close second behind lima beans on the list of Veggies I Do Not Want To Put In My Mouth.

I'm always a little bit skeptical of cookbooks and websites that say "oh you can still make a roux, just use almond / coconut flour instead!", because it's the starch in the wheat that acts as the thickener, and nut flours contain far less starch. You'd have to use WAY more of them to get the equivalent thickening of wheat flour.

Some recipes call for arrowroot, but I'd stay away from that as it has even more starch in it than wheat. Unless you're into that whole "safe starch" thing, anyway...;)

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I have a source of sassafras leaves, I might try drying and grinding some. Sassafras is the thickening agent in gumbo file'. Well, okra can do that too.

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

DUDE!! That would do me for about oh, 4 or 5 days, LOL.

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Had my dozen oysters today. I'm actually starting to like them, it seems. When I was finished, and walking away, I felt a definite sense of relief. Guess I waited a couple days too long for my feel-good medicine.

12. Stavity

Stavity New Member

I was hesitant when I first started to shuck them myself, but now it's getting to be "old hat". I love the Blue Point because they are clean. Right after shucking them, I sniff for the wonderful sea smell and then down the hatch. Now don't even use any sauce because vinegar bothers my tummy. I have come a long long ways, Nonchalant. Going to Whole Pay Check right now to buy some.

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Nice! I need to try shucking again.

I use a bit of horseradish, myself.

14. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Any tips for shucking and/or varieties of oysters that are easier to open? Our local seafood market can get 30+ varieties and last time I got Chesapeake 'cause that's what he recommended. They were a bear to open up, though. Had to resort to using pliers to squeeze them which left shell fragments inside.

15. Stavity

Stavity New Member

I find the smaller thick one's are the easiest to open and really like the Blue Point. Your are right the Chesapeake's were very hard to open and I won't buy them again. Things I have learned. Store them with the biggest part of the shell on the bottom. When you go to shuck them, tap the bottom and make sure it is not hallow (means they died).

I use this glove a knife cut and slash resistant glove on the hand that I hold the oyster and use an oyster knife. Here is a good video on shucking oysters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdLUE3fKmjM[/video]][video=youtube_share;YdLUE3fKmjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdLUE3fKmjM[/video]

16. AmyK

AmyK New Member

For anyone near one of the Jazz, A Louisiana Kitchen locations...Oysters on the half shell are 75 cents on Thursdays! YUM! How they manage to get and serve such fresh-tasting seafood in landlocked Missouri, I do not know. I'm just grateful that they do!

17. AmyK

AmyK New Member

18. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Yup. O'Brien's Raw Bar in Annapolis, MD has happy hour (3-7 pm) oysters on the half shell for 75 cents each. A great local secret...yum!

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

OMG How awesome is that... too far of a drive for us though.... got to find a local place on the other side of the potomac that has this!!!

ETA: every time I see this post pop up I think of the bugs bunny/daffy duck "Duck Season, Wabbit Season" Exchange

20. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

My first try at scalloped oysters happening right now in the oven. Damn, it looks and smells so good. 2 cans were on sale today for $5 each. Got about 16-20 of them in this dish, with the cream and butter and ritz crackers and fresh, beautiful parsley.