1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oyster season!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ealachan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Mollie, I think that's how most of us started. Eat the fish, shrimp and crab and don't worry about it. Just eat it fairly often. Thanks for the kind words. :)

2. I shucked oysters for my afternoon snack! It was my first self shucking. Need to figure out if there is a way to get them cheaper than $1.00 per for fresh.

3. tggywnkle@aol.com

tggywnkle@aol.com New Member

Thank you, Nonchalant. That's what I'm doing, eating what the kinds of seafood I can already handle for my BAB. Treating myself to fresh salmon, halibut so my brain gets used to thinking, "This stuff is good!" Then, hopefully, the rest will come in time.:)

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Cavemam, you're my hero. I failed at the batch of oysters I bought. I got them for about half that price, at the asian market, but some of them weren't tightly closed and I tossed them. Some I just couldn't get opened! I tried the new oyster knife I bought, and also a can opener, but I ended up grinding up the shell, at the hinge. I need to watch a youtube video, I suppose.

So now I just get them at the local restaurant, $10 for a dozen.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think the gut has to learn to digest it first, then the brain finally gets a whiff, and the rest is history.

6. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Just got local fresh shucked oysters at WF. I've never made them...can't do raw anything yet so I am going to lightly bread them in coconut flour and sauté them. Think they will be yummy!

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I went out for dinner for the first time in a long time last night.......the waiters face was classic when he saw what I ordered and how I ate it.

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Do tell! Eating at restaurants has become challenging.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I went to place as the main guest and we gave a little talk.......and then they came for the order. We order some wine.......and I was last to order around the table. I ordered a large shrimp cocktail, and order of scallops in bacon, and a dozen grilled clams for the appetizer. He ask me if this was for the table and I told him this was for me. Then I ordered dinner. I ordered a Kruse surf and turf. He asked me what that was. I told him it was a 14 oz filet, covered in crabmeat with a 12 oz piece of seabass cooked rare. He looked at me.........in disbelief. Then he has me how I wanted the Filet mignon.......I told him raw would be best. I passed on all veggies. He asked me what I wanted for sauces and I told him lemons and my saliva would do just fine. HE then watched me demolish it before his eyes. Not a speck left. He asked for card and said he needs this diet.

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Holy Toledo! And I thought asking for a double serving of seafood at the restaurant plus a shrimp cocktail was wild and crazy!

11. At least it was a business expense!!!

12. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Wow, that's a lot of food!

13. Endless

Endless Guest

I think alot of the seasoned ones have corn syrup...I am looking for natural ones as well.

14. Endless

Endless Guest

15. Glen PDQ

Glen PDQ New Member

Chef John on his Foodwishes blog has a video recipe for scalloped oysters, however it does involve 3 cups of saltine cracker crumbs, so I'm not sure how one would go about making substitutions for it. Also has lots of butter, heavy cream, and fresh parsley. He says if you don't love oysters, don't make this recipe.

16. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Hmm . . . does anyone know if the masago or flying fish roe from Hmart has junk added to it? I tried asking when I was there, but no one spoke English very well.

17. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

BJK77...I ordered some from a fishmonger who goes to Boston twice a week and he came back with the stuff that goes to restaurants...it's all full of corn syrup, msg, soy etc....I was so disappointed. He told me that salmon roe and the really expensive caviars have salt only in them..but most of the Japanese stuff has junk in it. I've been to two restaurants since and asked about their masago and it was the same stuff. It may be out there, but I don't think it's easy to find.

18. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Lunch of lightly pan fried fresh, local oysters breaded with coconut flour, over greens with a side of toasted nori. Yum!

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

That's disappointing. I had been ordering Ikura online from ilovebluesea, but it was so costly it was putting quite a dent in the budget. I suppose I might have to go back to that, but use it just as an occasional treat.

20. kathylu

kathylu Gold

That's strange...I have never seen seasoned flying fish roe. At our asian grocery it comes plain, unflavored. It is a lovely orange color with a salty, crunchy, slightly nutty taste. Not sweet at all. I have heard that sometimes it is colored and spiced, but I have never had it that way.