1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oyster season!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ealachan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

HOW do you guys force them down? I think they are the nastiest, slimiest things on the planet. I'd like to like them but there's no way in the world I'd eat them raw. My mother used to put them in dressing. Shudder. And even then they were slimy. How do you fix them to actually get them down?

2. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Colleen, the tastiest way is fried, but I haven't tried a "paleo approved" batter yet, so I don't have a recipe to give you. Next would be oyster stew, also difficult if you are not doing dairy because it contains butter and heavy cream. Cioppino (italian seafood stew) can be made with clams, fish and oysters and is quite delicious. Good recipes at Epicurious. Canned smoked oysters are ok in salads.

3. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I also like them raw on the half shell, with lemon and tabasco, but I guess that takes a little bravery.

4. Hmmm. I like them lots, but I don't chew! Slurpy- swallow with something vinegary on top. Used to do cocktail sauce, but now it's whatever I can find w vinegar.

I have only had them raw.

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I agree, if you're going to eat them raw, just slurp 'em. Super good with minyuette (sp?) sauce, which is minced onion or shallot and vinegar...omnomnom.

6. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

I do dairy, kathylu. :) so maybe I could try a stew. Thanks!

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

ok, I have to say chewing them doesn't bother me. I do not like horseradish but love it on raw oysters. I really want raw oysters right now... all this talk has got me jonesing for some... may pick some up at WFM for me to have w/dinner tonight - or lunch tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the whole chewing them issue doesn't bother me...b/c lets just say in survival school I had to eat a banana slug - and those things you do not want to eat... blech. always swallow slugs whole!

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Colleen - I make the following http://www.marksdailyapple.com/tomato-garlic-mussels/

and I make it more stew/soup like. and I throw in the oysters, mussels, clams and cod. very tasty...

9. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I can't stand them either, but I feel a strong pull to eat them. I buy them already shucked from ilovebluesea.com so I don't even have to mess with the shells at all. I freeze them in small quantities and generally just drop 2-3 down the hatch each night with dinner. No chewing, very little tasting. Some are a bit large to swallow, but I manage! Much better than the alternatives IMO ;)

10. ealachan

ealachan New Member

hork, hork, horkity mother-frickin' HORRRRRRRRKKKKKKK!

11. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I've been thinking of trying something similar with fish-head smoothies! Whizz it up, freeze it into swallow-able cubes, down a couple every day as "medicine".

12. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Oooh . . . good idea. I had myself all psyched up to try a fish-head smoothie a few weeks ago, but never was able to bring myself to do it. I know some people do that with liver, which I LOVE so I've never had to, but maybe small, frozen fish-head pills is the way to go!

13. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I still have a calf's liver in my freezer that I haven't been able to bring myself to thaw out and cook yet. I've never had it, and I'm scared of it, which is ridiculous...but true.

14. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Hmmm...I haven't been able to bring myself to try a MHS either, partly because I don't have a blender that could handle it, partly because...well, yuck! Here's another idea. Go to your asian food store and buy fresh or frozen flying fish roe and eat a couple big spoons of it every day. Believe me, it's yummy! That's the tiny orange fish eggs that are served with sushi and sashimi. Fish eggs just have to contain all the good stuff that MHS do...it just has to.

15. ealachan

ealachan New Member

What does it taste like? Does it pop in your mouth when you swallow it? Is it crunchy, or squishy? Inquiring minds need to know. :)

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Crunchy! Salty.

I bought some fresh from the asian store, packaged on a styrofoam tray like meat. But the label said "seasoned", whatever that means.

I rinsed them, but who knows what evil stuff lurked. They had a long expiration date, so preservatives of some sort.

I'd like to find some without all that. Perhaps they stock roe still in the bag sometimes.

17. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I love salmon roe! I haven't been able to find it locally at a reasonable price. I'm so jealous of everyone who has these great Asian markets where they can stock up! I order mine online, but it's delish :)

I agree with nonchalant - it's salty and just slightly crunchy. Back in my egg-eating days, I loved to top eggs with roe. YUM! Now I just eat it by the spoonful :)

18. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Yup. Crunchy, not as salty but like the ocean. Good topping for fish, crudites. Mix with sour cream (if you eat dairy) for a dip. Top a half avocado with crabmeat and roe, sprinkle with vinegar. Wrap roe in a nori sheet with shrimp and something spicy (sriracha?) for a sushi handroll. Eat roe plain.

Note: sometimes the tiny eggs will lodge in your teeth and you will find one and pop it later. Bonus!

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Ealachan, you are right. Oysters on the half shell are tasting better now. I don't feel like I have to make an herioc effort to consume them now. Instead of a half dozen, I've moved on to a full dozen now. I just put a bit of horseradish on each one. I've even learned to slurp the extra juice in the shell now. Heck, I've had oysters twice this week! Love those months with an "R".

Optimal, here I come!

20. tggywnkle@aol.com

tggywnkle@aol.com New Member

I just want to say thank you to all of you for being open, honest about all of this! I am really trying to get on board with all of what Dr. Kruse is saying. Some of it is a real struggle to imagine. I am telling myself, "If these people can overcome their mind sets, surely I can, too.!" I pretty much hate seafood at this point, although I can get down some fish and some small shrimp & crab, but that's about it. Looking forward to saying "I love/crave all seafood" someday, in the future. You are all so inspiring!