1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

oyster season!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by ealachan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Oysters are said to be best in months that end with "R", at least here in New England, so technically it's oyster season! I like to slurp 'em raw, but my husband is NOT a fan of the raw shellfish, so I need to cook his. I've only ever cooked oysters in oyster stew. Anybody have any good COOKED oyster recipes?

slurrrrrrrp...:D

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, that's right! I was waiting earlier for oyster season to start before trying them raw, but finally I said 'what the heck' and tried them in July. Reminds me, need to get some today, to keep up my Once a Week Oyster Slurp.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I get out of work early today and I'm going to buzz by the fish market and stock up for my own slurp-fest. I've never had to shuck them myself, so should be an adventure!

4. Please ler me knowhow you do with this. I must start shucking myself. I am also gonna have to get out the hot glue gun to deal with all the shells. I hear crazy lady make your own garden art calling my name.

~wildturbokatzig~ likes this.
  5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I just read some tip about opening them with a bottle opener rather than a knife: push the pointy end of the bottle opener in next to the hinge in the shell and wiggle it around until the shell pops open. No clue if this actually works or not, but I'mma give it a try. :D

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I need more raw oysters... oh Delicious

7. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

I'm not a fan of raw seafood and have only eaten oysters fried (yum, but not optimal) so I'd love some recipes, too!

8. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I found one for oysters with bacon and leeks that looks great, and one for oysters baked with a Sriracha lime butter sauce that literally made my mouth water. Too bad butter = sat fat = not optimal to have with shellfish. Pretty sure I can figure out another fat to use, though! :D

9. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Where did you find them?

10. ealachan

ealachan New Member

There are a ton on Epicurious.com - just search for oysters. Be aware that a lot of them involve bread crumbs and so will need tweaking, though. The Sriracha lime butter recipe, I don't have the link handy for right now, but will see if I can dig it up later on and post it,

11. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Thanks!

What about coconut flour instead of breadcrumbs?

12. ealachan

ealachan New Member

May very well work, yes! I've never used coconut flour, so not sure.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I love oysters in any form....definitely going to have to look at the bank balance and pick some up... nom, nom, nom, nom

14. I find a combo of almond flour and finely shredded coconut is a great breadcrumb solution!

15. Stavity

Stavity New Member

I went to a restaurant today--guess the name?? Okay, I will tell you. It was Tom's Oyster Bar. :D I might have eaten to many because I came home and exploded. Sorry, no visual. They were all I ate so it must have been them.

16. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Maybe they were bad??

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

not true......when you poop it take 24-48 hrs to get thru the system.

18. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Sorry Dr. K, but GI distress including diarrhea and vomiting can occur very quickly when eating contaminated shellfish.

0.5 – 3 hours Mild gastroenteritis (nausea, vomiting,

diarrhoea and abdominal cramps); chills;

headache; fever

Okadaic acid

TOXIN

Diarrhoeic

Shellfish Poisoning

(DSP)

Molluscs such as mussels, clams,

oysters and scallops

19. Stavity

Stavity New Member

It was them.

20. Stavity

Stavity New Member

They seemed fresh, but who knows. About 2 hrs after I ate them I felt it come on.