1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Oxytocin FTW!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nonchalant, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

NO effing clue... but my nips were never as sensitive as they are now and I'm so thankful for that these days (with one exception when Havoc decides its time to nurse and starts reaching down my shirt etc - ughh DISLIKE - which is one of the reasons why I've been trying to wean for the past 6mths....)

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'm going to enjoy this shiver-stopping effect. :)

Hey, it's Research, leave me alone!

kyrakitty likes this.
  3. Sorry.

I'm just not clever enough to follow all of this.

So what are the ideal times to... uh... supplement oxytocin.

Before sleep: check.

Before getting out of bed? before BAB?

Thanks a lot to get done in 30 minutes!

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Dr. K mentioned that oxytocin was good first thing in the morning, too.

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

But then I don't want to get out of bed, I just want to go back to sleep! ;) Mornings that I have to take my husband to work at 4:15am, I do tend to come home and, err, get a release or two in, then go back to sleep for a few hours...but to orgasm and then get right up and try to be productive doesn't do it for me. No pun intended.

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think if he could give me an rx for taking a bath in it every day all day he would ;) I'll do with my bottle of oxytocin factor + my precious brain pharmacy for now.

7. My understanding of Jack's comment in "nips 102" was that (at least for women) arousal was enough to "dose" oxytocin, but could be increased in duration.

So, for the sake of "bang for the buck" should one be focused on the journey or the destination?

Is peak benefit derived from peak sensation?

Or is duration of the "therapy" a significant factor?

Would this differ for men?

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I agree, it would probably just put me back to sleep.

I don't think you have to go that far to get the benefit.

9. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

IDK, I thought there's the most bang for your buck with an orgasm, but nipple arousal (even just b/c you're cold) will release some. So should we be making our nipples hard on and off all day??? :rolleyes:

For men, no clue!

10. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I think this is also excess estrogen (P/E ratio too low). After bf'ing 5 babies for 13 years nonstop, I had this problem bad, but it's nearly disappeared in the last 6 months, as have the mega-boobs. Yay!

What I'm curious about is how *acute* oxytocin release (orgasm) compares to chronic oxytocin release (ecological breastfeeding) in its effects. I doubt the latter would stop shivers; what other differences?

11. I know the latter doesn't stop shivers! I've breastfed directly after CT'ing and it hasn't helped at all.

12. Interesting... gives me something to think about and look into! Thanks for your insight :)

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I think there is another possibility. Most are reporting that it is with latter babies that this is a problem. Somewhere on this forum Dr K talked about how subsequent pregnancies deplete women of DHA and if they aren't eating the right diet (and matching circadian cycles, etc). In other words, if we don't refuel and refeed our bodies, our own health suffers. I would guess that it takes high levels of immunity and health to breastfeed optimally. We know the quality of our milk is effected. And it may even be a dual-directional problem... our milk is not up to scratch therefore our babies sleep more poorly and need more milk which isn't up to scratch. Also, if our DHA starts to be trashed (along with our hormone panel, as MamaGrok points out) then our inflammation rises. Higher inflammation means our 'tolerance' for a lot of things goes down.

Starfish Prime and rlee314 like this.
  14. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

[h=1]Oxytocin and social affiliation in humans[/h]

• Ruth Feldman

• Department of Psychology and the Gonda Brain Sciences Center, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan 52900, Israel
      Abstract
    A conceptual model detailing the process of bio-behavioral synchrony between the online physiological and behavioral responses of attachment partners during social contact is presented as a theoretical and empirical framework for the study of affiliative bonds. Guided by an ethological behavior-based approach, we suggest that micro-level social behaviors in the gaze, vocal, affective, and touch modalities are dynamically integrated with online physiological processes and hormonal response to create dyad-specific affiliations. Studies across multiple attachments throughout life are presented and demonstrate that the extendedoxytocin (OT) system provides the neurohormonal substrate for parental, romantic, and filial attachment in humans; that the three prototypes of affiliation are expressed in similar constellations of social behavior; and that OT is stable over time within individuals, is mutually-influencing among partners, and that mechanisms of cross-generation and inter-couple transmission relate to coordinated social behavior. Research showing links between peripheral and genetic markers of OT with concurrent parenting and memories of parental care; between administration of OT to parent and infant's physiological readiness for social engagement; and between neuropeptides and the online synchrony of maternal and paternal brain response in social-cognitive and empathy networks support the hypothesis that human attachment develops within the matrix of biological attunement and close behavioral synchrony. The findings have conceptual implications for the study of inter-subjectivity as well as translational implications for the treatment of social disorders originating in early childhood, such as autism spectrum disorders, or those associated with disruptions to early bonding, such as postpartum depression or child abuse and neglect. This article is part of a Special Issue entitledOxytocin, Vasopressin, and Social Behavior.

[HR][/HR][h=4]Highlights[/h]►A conceptual model of bio-behavioral synchrony is proposed for the study of human affiliation. ►Affiliation is expressed by unique physiology and behavior synchronized online among partners. ►OT supports the three prototypical social bonds in humans— parental, pair, and filial. ►Brain, genetic, and hormonal markers of OT interact with behavior to support bonding across life.

15. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

In my case, my fifth baby found me giving the best milk to date (not fat-deficient, and the proof was in the teeth that didn't rot out like all the other babies' had!), and my omega 3 was higher than ever (after several years of working on the 3:6 ratio). My body was very, very depleted in babies 1-4, but I worked hard for three years before the last conception, with sugar addiction being the main remaining problem (and of course, as I now know, untreated thyroid disease). I think that for me, the hormones are the last remaining bastion of dysfunction after years of working on these issues.

Interestingly, this baby slept like a rock from the beginning. She's the only one who never needed to nurse much at night, which was very fortunate for me, since I couldn't stand it!

16. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I was able to nurse #1 all through my pregnancy with #2, although less and less as the pregnancy progressed. By 20 weeks I couldn't stand more than a minute of it and we were done. I tandem nursed them for a year (no engorgement problems!!), although I only "tolerated" nursing the older child (the latch felt gross, compared to the infant's latch). With the other pregnancies, I had to wean the older child pretty quickly because I absolutely could not stand the feeling of the child nursing, pretty much from the very beginning of the pregnancy. I never had a problem nursing anyone through the night though - and all of them nursed all night long until pretty much until weaning...

17. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I have always felt a horrendous feeling nursing while pregnant, that gets more and more intense until I dry up at 4 months. I believe this is natural, as the body knows it needs to give resources to the growing baby above and beyond the nursing one.

That feeling continued somewhat after birth this last time, though, and I have it now even though I'm not pregnant. I'm nursing a 33-month-old with ickier feelings than nursing a 39mo while pregnant 11 years ago.

I think hormone imbalance explains the difference for me.

18. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Resounding Yes to this - like I was restraining myself from literally pushing the child away from the boob. Get Lost!! For me, the horrendous feeling got sooner and sooner with each pregnancy. Maybe because I had less and less reserves, and so more and more these feelings..? Sorry to hear you're struggling with this kind of thing now.

19. I so admire you lots o babies mamas! If I had to do it all again (keeping my current wisdom of course) I'd be a teen mom and go till I had a full house.

20. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

My kids are oxidizing me at a much faster rate than otherwise... My youngest is going to preschool 2 glorious mornings/week and then I "reduce." The older ones are getting oh so tired of hearing the Momologues about food, light, the state of general health, etc!! Clearly, having children is far from optimal!