1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

outdoor winter sunbathing

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Ruth Dejarnette, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Hi Jack,
    I would like to further clarify a question I asked on the Q & A tonight.
    I asked about the outdoor winter tanning device I am building using a bear hugger type blanket to lay on and an air curtain blower to blow warm air over me. I can therefore lay outside in winter in very cold temperatures and soak up enough sun to get a tan. I am laying just off the ground in a snow covered area so lots of reflection from the snow itself. But what I really want to figure out is if there would be a benefit to lining it with those shiny metalic emergency winter blankets. Sort of like when you line your baking pan with tinfoil to roast your duck because the reflective properties cook your bird more evenly and brown it nicely. Or wouldn't the metalic blanket make any difference to how I am absorbing sunlight.
    my device is flat with shallow sides angled out away from me so i can blow the warm air over the top and stay warm while I lay outside with no clothes in the winter.
    Thanks.

Anita and Phosphene like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I doubt it because your latitude is horrendous.....your not having any UVA or B to make a difference.

3. so if I am actually getting tan....doesn't that help me?

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yes, but I would be stunned if you tanned at that latitude in January

5. Anita

Anita New Member

Ruth, what is your latitude? I'm wondering if I can make something like you did to help me not freeze outside in the morning sun where I am at latitude 35.787743

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

She is way up North......MN is memory serves me

Anita likes this.
  7. Anne V

Anne V Gold

So would it be better at these latitudes to use cold?

Bob Stirling likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

Many birds, with presumably lower IQs than us, migrate during the winter in these latitudes.

9. Anne V

Anne V Gold

possibly about birds IQs;) migrating seems obvious to me .

drezy likes this.
  10. Anita

Anita New Member

Thanks Dr. Kruse.

11. Anita

Anita New Member

Ok Drezy...help me out here..the birds migrate to this latitude or fly to lower latitudes?

drezy likes this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

Well it depends on the season, right?

There are certain things I can do as a North American human to decrease my tax bracket. So I read tax code, almost fall asleep, and slowly follow up on decreasing my tax bracket.

If instead you told me that I could either
    1. freeze to death in the next 5 months
    2. not freeze to death
    Sparks would emanate from my arse because I'd moving so fast. I wouldn't be considering that lower latitudes would be affording me better UV, which they would. I'd just be motivated by the not freezing to death bit.

13. Anita

Anita New Member

Of course...thanks Drezy!

drezy likes this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

We have the gift or the burden of being able to think or over-think about it, right?

I like the new pic more FWIW...

Anita likes this.
  15. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Its minus 40 degrees with the windchill here at the moment. Everymorning I drive out to the beach for sunrise. I drape my northface jacket over my back hanging like a cape on my head with no shirt underneath and I flash the rising sun. If the sun is out after I will go back to my vehicle roll the window down put my seat back. strip down to my shorts and allow the sun to blast through the open windows and move my car everyonce in a while to make sure the sun is hitting my bare skin. My skin gets super hot you would be amazed at how much heat comes off the sun when you can block the wind. Im also a fan of sauna. Do quick sessions in between run out side in your kinikis on a sunny day.

16. It is a cold sunny morning here today, -6F and dropping. And although I am not very dark, I have managed to get color and I have some tan lines but in places I can’t show....

Tanning in winter is possible even in Minnesota, I am at the 43rd latitude in Minnesota.

I am in my back yard taking a selfie today in the snow.....brrrr, you can see I have a bit of color, compare it to my profile photo taken in September. I have managed to keep my skin tanned.

The key is staying out of the wind and on or close to the ground. I do lay out in the buff. My back yard is private.

The thing about outdoor winter tanning is that here in Minnesota, or any other cold climate, you are using cold and sun at the same time That is why I am building these devices to help me spend time uncovered outdoors in the winter and expose more skin.

When I get a good working finished model I will show everyone.

65261E18-6446-4142-BD87-75A88557C279.jpeg

63F8AA8F-F258-4D06-B931-E10E82B03075.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  17. Inger

Inger Silver

Nice pics Ruth :) :) you and the sun and the snow :)

I do winter tanning all I can! I love it! I just got about 1,5-2 hours in the nude today. Because the sun came out! A little foggy it was but I still enjoyed it soo much! I just spend time at the open terrace door that faces south, because when I stay inside I can be barefoot on the living room tiles that does ground. And I do not get cold as there are no wind inside either. I sometimes get so hot from the sun that I have to go and dip in my rain barrel to cool down...lol
    Okay, it is not that cold here, because I am by the north sea, about 10 km from the shore. 54th latitude. we seldom have snow and mostly between -5 and +5 degree C in the winter months.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Anita and Phosphene like this.
  18. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I was out yesterday in 13F but strong clear sun and little wind. Popped the girls out for about a half hour of winter sun. Love it. (Of course I’m still high from 2 weeks in Mexico—hope it lasts!)

Inger, KrusinWitchie and Anita like this.
  19. Sorry guys.....no outdoor winter sunbathing today....I am just too wimpy...-29F with a -50 windchill factor today.....after careful risk/benefit analysis.....I opted to stay covered and only get the sun in my eyes today.... no skin in the game this morning..... but......by the weekend it will be 40F.....it will truly be shorts weather.....I love Minnesota!!!

Inger, Anne V and Anita like this.
  20. drezy

drezy Gold

Whoa I think you get a wimpiness write-off on that one.

My +50 seem pretty cool to me today.