1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Outdoor office in the sun

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Rubicon, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon Avoiding Equilibrium

A few months ago I purchased daylight viewable monitors so I can work outside in the sun. See here for initial testing pics

After picking up some long cables, I've been able to connect to my desktop computer in my house and setup a dual monitor office space outside where I can productively work naked in the sun. On days when the weather's nice, I get everything setup early in the morning, get as much direct morning sun as possible, and usually move into the shade or go inside mid-afternoon.

Setup Pic:

[​IMG]

Outdoor equipment list:
    • Two 19" 1000 nit monitors
    • Cables: 50ft VGA, hdmi, and USB
    • Wired mouse, keyboard, speakers
    • AC Power cable
    EMF's are minimized since everything is wired and the computer itself is far away from where I sit. Measuring with a Trimeter & Cornet:

Electric field: nothing significant other than at the power cord
    Magnetic field: strong field at the monitors, at the power cord, and at the speakers
    RF: nothing from computer

The setup is flexible enough that I can change position so that different parts of my skin are facing the sun as it moves throughout the day. I originally tried sitting on a chair at a table, but I found it was too difficult to get even sun exposure on my body and be comfortable. Sitting on the ground, sometimes with a bit of a back support leaves me feeling great even after a few hours of work.

[​IMG]

Denise0918, MisterT, WarrenT and 19 others like this.
  2. OptimalSkr

OptimalSkr New Member

Dude this is sweet!! You look like a yogi on a computer from the future :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Rubicon likes this.
  3. htw

htw New Member

sometimes when there is opportunity I work similarly :D

Rubicon likes this.
  4. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

WOW!!!

Wait til I show my husband this!

Rubicon likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

Nice, I've been looking into a setup of my wife. Good inspiration @Rubicon .

Brent Patrick and Rubicon like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Did any women run up and stuff your shorts with money chippendales style?

7. Rubicon

Normally there's no way I'd be wearing shorts. Circadian mismatch!

8. drezy

drezy Gold

Were they tan-throughs so at least you got roasted nuts?

9. Rubicon

Quantum Executive :)

10. JohnPxl

JohnPxl New Member

I am a web designer, and today I tried something similar. Worked for 4 hours straight outside, drank 2 bottles of water, with feet on the ground. It was an unprecedented experience of flow, focus and productivity.
    I have now moved inside as the heat is un-bearable, but still feel every cell in my body energised, and I do not feel exhausted as I usually do this time of the day. I will try to make this my routine every morning. Thanks for the pics, great setup :thumbsup:

Best

John

11. Benny Hammond

Benny Hammond New Member

Killer set up! I wear those tan-thru's all the time and look like Magnum P.I. running around town.

12. JoeT

JoeT Gold

Rubicon......what kind of monitors are they? What specs might I look for ?

13. Rubicon

Joe, I forget the name of the monitor manufacturer. It's an OEM supplier from China, not a main consumer brand.
    I purchased them as surplus from the local classifieds from an guy who specializes in outdoor monitors. Originally they were intended for use in a fast-food restaurant to be custom built into their kiosks...they're really basic in that they have no frame/stand. I think I got really lucky picking up three at $100 each. A bit of quantum luck/destiny there? ;)

The key spec to look for is a monitor with around 1000+ 'nits'. Anti-reflective/anti-glare coating and matte finish instead of glossy can help too.

Panasonic has a line of laptops called toughbooks that feature daylight viewable screens: http://business.panasonic.com/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-31.html
    Tru-vu appears to sell daylight viewable monitors: http://www.tru-vumonitors.com/products/sunlightreadablelcd.html I never did get far enough along to enquire about prices on those.

WillTheHammer and seanb4 like this.
  14. JoeT

JoeT Gold

ok thanks

15. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@JoeT
    Inspired by this thread I picked up a refurbished toughbook CF-19 MK1 for £99. It's screen as okay outdoors but I have to put a hood around it to see well. Apparently MK1 screens are pretty poor so anything above that should work absolutely fine.

Rubicon likes this.
  16. JoeT

JoeT Gold

Thanks Sean!

seanb4 likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

Since I don't really need color my next screen will look like this(or maybe a 2x2 array of these):
    IMG_3664.JPG

Rubicon likes this.
  18. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@Rubicon What do you think of Transflective Plus Displays? (http://business.panasonic.co.uk/com...hscreen Display Brochure_Nov 2016_EN_v7_0.pdf)

It seems to work by reflecting sunlight when in high light conditions. My question is, how does it choose to reflect the correct color from sunlight for each pixel. It also passes it through a polarizer so thats not great but if it reflects IR and maybe some UV, it should be better than most screens. Goes up to 6000 nits apparently.

19. mbhemming

mbhemming Gold

Very cool!

Ever think about making a stand up desk?

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator