1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Oscillating hormones?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Blue30, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and looking for a little help with oscillating hormones (in particular, T). Sometimes my T is right in the middle on the labs, but more often than not it's right at the lower end. It's been oscillating like this for several years. I've tried running every lab test I can think of (CBC, liver enzymes, cortisol, leptin, thyroid, vitamin D, heavy metal, CRP, gut/food allergy, hair mineral analysis, SpectraCell, etc.), but I have not been able to identify the cause. When I first started to notice it, my blood work reflect vitamin D levels below normal. I've since supplemented orally, but I understand that may not be doing much good. Also, my TT3 is just below normal (67* ng/dL (ref 76-181)), but FT3 is normal (3.2 pg.mL (ref 2.3-4.2)). rT3 is a little on the high side, but still in range (19.4 ng/dL (ref 9.2-24.1)). I thought it might be a leptin issue, but CRP was very low (0.09 mg/L, Ref: 0.0-3.0).

Anyway, I'm hoping for a little input on where to look or what to do next - I'm running out of ideas. If it's helpful, I have a ton more labs. Also, I have psoriasis-like skin issues, if that is relevant.

Thank you all for the help!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi ...and welcome Blue

Dr. Kruse needs a pic up and more health history so he has some context.

Where do you live? work?
    what do you eat? drink?
    non native EMF?
    health history?
    male/female?

3. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

Caroline, thanks for the quick response. I live and work in Houston, TX (so plenty of EMF). I've recently started ground while sleeping and use a grounding mat at work. I eat mostly paleo, and do not drink often. When I do, it's less than two alcoholic drinks per week. The major health history is the skin issue. Both the hormone and skin issue started after a particularly emotionally stressful period. I rarely get ill - it's been several years since I've had a cold or flu (knock on wood). I do always seem to have cold hands/feet, though, if that is relevant. Please let me know if there is anything I can elaborate on for you. Thank you!

4. Kristi Lambert

Kristi Lambert New Member

Welcome, Blue! :)

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

What water do you drink? R/O water? spring water?

even tho your thyroid panel seems normal ..... it may not be - re - cold hands and feet

Have your read Dr. K's Book? The Epi Paleo RX

have you listened to his podcasts? the book and podcasts are a great way to get fast and easier to understand info!

How is your sleep?

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

grounding mats may not be ideal..... you could be drawing dirty electricity TO you and making things much worse.

Do you get outside and ground? sunshine?

C/T?

exercise?

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  7. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

I just drink filtered water (Zero Filter, I think). I have not read the Epi Paleo RX yet, but I have gone through as many blog posts and podcasts as I can. It's a lot to wrap my head around! I do try to get outside and get sunshine, but admittedly, it's a lot more in the summer than this time of year. I try to ground outside when I can, but that's pretty minimal also. Would you recommend doing away with the grounding mat, then?

I've just started with the C/T, but I'm still in the initial phase of "face in water". I've tried submerging a couple times, but the water was about 60 degrees, so I'm not sure that's cold enough to really get the benefits. I do exercise. I did crossfit for a while, but I've stopped doing that in the last 6 months - I just felt like I wasn't recovering like I should. Most of my exercising now is just sprints and body weight exercises.

I sleep well, I think. I never have any trouble falling sleep, and I usually sleep 8.5-9 hours. Even with that much sleep though, sometimes it is tough getting moving in the morning. I'm one of those people that doesn't seem to dream much, either.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

everything is linked by oscillating waves...........but no one seems to know it...............yet.

9. angie-s

angie-s New Member

Blue 30 - I also live in Houston Texas. I had skin issues for almost 30 yrs - uncontrollable itch and rashes. I went to many doctors (allergists, dermatologists, hormone doctors etc.) and had all kind of tests but no one could figure out anything. I had finally just accepted it. I use to take prescription anti-histamines and use ice on my body whenever I had a flare up. Last year around this time , it got so bad that I couldn't function or sleep. That's when I ran into Jacks blog. In Sept, I started the Leptin Reset protocol and my skin issues appear to have gone now. I am not taking any anti-histamines and rarely have the itching episodes. Why don't you try the Leptin Rx also. It might help.

caroline likes this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

You should be drinking bottled spring water

60 degrees is a good start ..... Baby steps!

You need to measure with a meter - re grounding mats

Are you able to join the optimal reset? Michael Neurt did a webinar. You can rent meters from him and also do a phone consult

You are getting a decent amount of sleep ....but don't feel rested when you wake up? Electronics in your bedroom?

Are you exercising too much?

11. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I see in your opening post you tested for cortisol . . . but from what I'm reading I'm still leaning towards adrenal fatigue . . . How much coffee do you drink?

Have you done an ASI? (Adrenal Stress Index)

You might want to compare your paleo diet with the epi-paleo one - there are important differences that have a lot to do with circadian rhythm - i.e. what you eat is no more important that when you eat it when it comes to circadian rhythm - and your hormones are directly affected by circadian rhythm.

12. Inger

Inger Silver

Like Caroline said.... the grounding mat is no good idea in a high EMF environment..... :(

13. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

Thanks for the ideas, y'all! Angie, I'll give the leptin reset a try. I thought my problems may be related to something along those lines, so I tested my CRP, rT3, and leptin levels as suggested. The leptin level was right at the very low end of the range, as was CRP. These results kind of had me looking away from the leptin issue, but I'll admit doing the reset protocol certainly couldn't hurt.

Caroline, I do have an alarm clock - and often my cell phone - in the bedroom at night. I thought I was exercising too much, too, which is why I've tapered down considerably over the last 6 months or so. I will look into the Optimal Reset, too, thanks for the suggestion! Do you think that would be more beneficial than the Hormones Boot camp?

Da-mo, I've attached my cortisol test - is this what you were asking about? Is there another lab that would be a better indicator? I also considered an adrenal issue. I gave up drinking coffee for more than a year. I've recently started drinking it again, but usually just decaf. I might have regular coffee once a week.

Thanks Inger. So you agree that I should nix the grounding mat, particularly at the office?

Attached Files:

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@Blue30

looking at your cortisol test - you have a conversion issue going on. You going to want to run a set of labs the capture Lutenizing Hormone (LH) and Folicular stimulating Hormone (FSH), to see what your hormone cascade for testosterone looks like. You also need to see what your LDL, HDL, Trigs, Pregnenolone, TSH, FT3, FT4, rT3, Estradiol, Progesterone, and Total Testosterone, and Free Testosterone look like. You also need an ASI with melatonin panel. Prolactin levels, Serotonin levels, IGF-1, hsCRP, 25OH (D3) and SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin) . You really need the Estradiol and SHGB to see what's going with the estrogens in your body.

The other thing that I picked up on - is your sleeping 8hr, not dreaming and you're not waking up rested. That screams OSA. Have you done a sleep study? OSA is the result of your brains inability to sense nnEMF to allow autophage at night for cellular repair. You can have an awesome 6 pack, yet if you're not getting quality sleep - you're leptin resistant

Do the optimal reset - Jack's got lots of great folks on there.

@JanSz Have I missed any of the guys' labs?

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Yes,
    at LabCorp or Mayo clinic get:

Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum

He should post his

Spectracell Micronutrient analysis. ---->psoriasis-like skin issues

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

Wow! Thank you for all of that info! I have a lot of those labs, but not all of them. I'll post what I have so far, and I'll go get the remainder.

TSH 1.98 mIU/L (ref 0.4-4.5)
    TT4 6.0 mcg.dL (ref 4.5-12)
    FT4 1.2 ng/dL (ref 0.8-1.8)
    TT3 67* ng/dL (ref 76-181) ---> out of range
    FT3 3.2 pg.mL (ref 2.3-4.2)
    RT3 19.4 ng/dL (ref 9.2-24.1)

Test 1: LH 5.1 mIU/mL (ref 1.5-9.3), corresponding to TT of 333, Free T 38 pg/mL (ref 35-155); E2: 26 pg/mL (Ref <56)
    Test 2: LH 3.3, corresponding to TT of 441
    Test 3: LH 10.7*, corresponding to TT of 1140 ---> *clomid challenge
    Test 4: LH 4.6, corresponding to TT of 385
    Test 5: LH 6.3, TT 588, Free T 108 pg/mL (ref 35-155); E2: 13pg/mL (Ref <29)
    Test 6: TT 364 ng/dL; E2 16.3 pg/mL (Ref: 7.6-42.6)

PROLACTIN 5.4, 2.0-18.0 ng/mL
    CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 232, 125-200 mg/dL
    HDL CHOLESTEROL 58, > OR = 40 mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDES 80, <150 mg/dL
    LDL-CHOLESTEROL 158 <130 mg/dL (calc)

VITAMIN D, 25-OH, D3, 57, 30-100 ng/mL (after supplementation. Below ref range prior to supplementation)
    HS CRP (0.09 mg/L, Ref: 0.0-3.0)

I have not done a sleep study. I hadn't even considered OSA. No one has ever mentioned my breathing when I sleep. I'll definitely give the optimal reset a try.

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Any head injuries?

/
    selenium/iodine status?

/

18. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

I've set up an appointment to check FAP, SHBG, Pregnenolone, and Serotonin as suggested. I can't seem to find a home test for ASI w/ melatonin - could y'all recommend a kit?

19. Blue30

Blue30 New Member

JanSz, no head injuries. My selenium level is 0.10 with a reference range of 0.03-0.18. I need to dig up the units, though.

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

You have said that you did some tests at Spectracel.
    I like their Micronutrient analysis.
    http://spectracell.mybigcommerce.com

no head injuries=good

Your LH is lowish, on clomid challenge LH goes up and testicles respond with higher total testosterone.
    Pituitary is responsible for LH regulation and is lagging.

May want to do pituitary MRI.
    ----------------
    TSH 1.98 mIU/L (ref 0.4-4.5)
    TT4 6.0 mcg.dL (ref 4.5-12)
    FT4 1.2 ng/dL (ref 0.8-1.8)
    TT3 67* ng/dL (ref 76-181) ---> out of range
    FT3 3.2 pg.mL (ref 2.3-4.2)
    RT3 19.4 ng/dL (ref 9.2-24.1)

May want to get some brazil nuts to get even more selenium,
    after that, make sure that you have plenty of iodine,
    actually excess iodine is better.
    Lots of sea weeds and seafood.
    I like even some Lugol's on top of that.
    Hopefully that improves your thyroid panel.

Make sure to not eat fish or krill oils. But eat as much of natural seafood as you can.
    Make sure to not eat much of ALA and LA.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015