1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimization to the Rescue!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by ozbuck, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ozbuck

ozbuck New Member

Hi,

I'm a late-20's male from Australia.

I recently had a whole bunch of bloodtests and a salivary cortisol test done. My saliva test showed that I had HIGH cortisol levels from 8am-8pm. The rest of the tests my integrative doc said they were fine (I'm in the process of getting her to send me a copy of the results so I can get some further input here).

My symptoms of non-optimized health are:

* never feel refreshed and rejuvenated upon waking. It takes 30-60mins to get going.
    * wake up during the night a few times to roll over and fall back to sleep again. I don't have any problems falling asleep though.
    * doctor believes I have adrenal fatigue. I struggle to put on weight however - 6'2" and 72kg.
    * acne and rosacea - acne has reduced considerably since eating PHD style and taking daily zinc and b6.
    * chronically stuffy nose - all the mouth breathing could be contributing to high cortisol as it activated the sympathetic nervous system. Sometimes one nostril will open up so I can breathe through it, then close up and the other nostril may open up. But most of the time both nostrils are stuffy (i think the nasal passages are swollen)
    * anxiety and feelings of being down.
    * struggle to build muscle mass - might be just genetic but high cortisol surely isn't helping.
    * struggle to concentrate. some brain fog i guess.
    * sometimes i feel really tired after eating a meal.

Some other info:

* I've been eating paleo/primal/PHD for around 3 years.
    * My diet before that was bad. Plenty of processed foods, sugar, take away, etc.
    * In high school my diet was shocking. Sugar laden cereal or I would just skip breakfast. Sometimes I would skip eating during the day at school and then come home and eat a frozen meat pie, or buy a milkshake, etc. and then eat dinner. Soft drink was always had nearly every day.
    * Stress - social anxiety especially - has always been in my life. I think a lot of it is psychologically based (I'm going to get the hypnotherapy and NLP done soon). But I also think that imbalanced biochemistry in the brain doesn't help either.

Any thoughts, insights and info from any of you is appreciated!

Thanks

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Oz.... Welcome to journal land!
    I don't understand what you said about eating. PHD - what is that?

So have you started the leptin reset?

Please tell us what you are eating in a day?

Do you have blue blocker glasses?

Have you had a chance to listen to JK' s podcasts yet?

Keep reading and asking questions......

There are others here in similar situations - hopefully they will chime in soon.

C/T is great for muscle mass .....don't exercise!

3. ozbuck

ozbuck New Member

Hi Caroline,

PHD = Perfect Health Diet.

I'm starting the leptin reset tomorrow... I don't feel hungry when I wake up. I've been doing intermittent fasting so I usually don't eat til around 10am (i wake around 6.30am).

My daily meals revolve around this usually.... protein: lamb, beef, occassionally chicken, once a week salmon, cheese, yogurt. fat: from meat, coconut oil, lots of butter, palm oil, eggs. Carbs: potato, white rice, vegetables, fruit, honey.

I know Jack doesn't advise eating potatoes or rice until after leptin rx is completed because it can fuel carb cravings, but I don't have any carb cravings. Im a skinny dude. I used to be VLC for a couple of years and feel much better with 100-150 carbs a day, especially from potatoes with plenty of butter on them!

I definitely need to up my seafood intake more!

Havent had a chance to listen to his podcasts yet. I will though!

Thanks for your help!!

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Oz - please read very carefully about the Leptin reset! Dr. K. has never advised to go back to potatoes etc after the reset!

This is primarily a high fat, medium protein, low carb way of eating. You must be eating seasonally if at all possible.

You need to reset the "Rolex" in your brain. Timing is everything! Huge for you!

just to be clear ... and this is easy but very, very important

within 30 minutes of rising ..... go outside and look at the sun and then have a BAB ... at least 50g. of protein

leave at least 4 hours between meals ..... absolutely no snacking ....and leave at least 4 hours after eating and before bed.

there is a great easy start guide .... have a look and then follow exactly. This definitely 100% works. You will be craving free and you will feel much more satisfied.

You may have to force yourself to eat the BAB within 30 minutes of waking at first - but this is REALLY important. Make no mistake about this.

Have you got Jack's book? It really is all there ........

Keep reading and asking questions!

Don't forget ..... non native EMF is huge for you - and all of us.....

5. elvey90

elvey90 Guest

Hey mate,

Another thing to keep in mind as well as leptin rx is to minimize EMF exposure as caroline stated.
    Just a suggestion but before focusing on putting on weight, if you fix other area's such as gut flora, circadian clock, emf, CT etc, everything will gradually come together and your body will change according to the way you live.

My 2 cents

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I may have already asked you .... did you listen to Dr. Tim Jackson's free community wide webinar? you need that....

As Elvis said .... controlling your EMF is the most important .... Jack has said - food is only 10% .... make no mistake about this!

You need to move as soon as you can ....I think your area is pretty high density ......quite affluent .... everyone is wired to the max.

go for long walks in the bush .....have you read prAna's posts? He is an extraordinary young man.

Google Erwan Lecorre and movnat ... and see how exercise should be done!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. ozbuck

ozbuck New Member

MY LABWORK!!!:

SALIVA TEST

CORTISOL:
    8AM 36.5 nmol/L (6.0-42.0)
    12PM 22.1 nmol/L (2.0-11.0)
    4PM 20.9 nmol/L (2.0-11.0)
    8PM 8.0 nmol/L (1.0-8.0)
    Cortisol Daily Total 87.5 nmol/L (11.0-76.0)

DHEA
    Morning: 27.1 nmol/L (5.0-30.0)
    DHEAs/CORTISAL 0.74 (0.20-0.60) ratio

MULTIPLE BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS

S SODIUM 141 mmol/L (135-145)
    S POTASSIUM 4.1 mmol/L (3.5-5.5)
    S CHLORIDE 100 mmol/L (95-110)
    S BICARB. 30 mmol/L (20-32)
    S UREA 5.7 mmol/L (3.0-7.5)
    S CREAT. 75 umol/L (60-110)
    eGFR >90
    S T-BIL. 8 umol/L (4-20)
    S ALP 79 U/L (35-110)
    S GGT 9 U/L (5-50)
    S ALT 17 U/L (5-40)
    S AST 18 U/L (10-40)
    S T-PROTEIN 76 g/L (66-83)
    S ALBUMIN 45 g/L (36-47)
    S GLOBULIN 31 g/L (26-41)
    S CHOLESTEROL 4.1 mmol/L (3.5-5.5)
    S TRIG 0.5 mmol/L (<1.5)
    S HDL-CHOL 1.51 mmol/L (>1.00)
    S LDL-CHOL 2.4 mmol/L (:love:.5)
    S LDLC/HDLC 1.6 (<4.0)
    S Chol/HDLC 2.7 (<4.5)
    S IRON 15 umol/L (5-30)
    S TRF 2.1 g/L (2.0-3.2)
    S TRF SAT. 29 % (10-45)
    S FERRITIN 226 ng/mL (30-500)

THYROID FUNCTION TESTS

S Free T4 23.9 H pmol/L (11.0-21.0)
    S Free T3 4.2 pmol/L (3.2-6.4)
    S TSH 1.29 mU/L (0.5-5.0)
    Antithyroid peroxidase antibodies: 6 IU/mL ( :love:5 )
    Antithyroglobulin antibodies: <10 IU/mL ( <115 )

HORMONES

S FSH 5.1 IU/L (1.5-9.7)
    S LH 5.9 IU/L (1.8-9.2)
    S PROLACTIN 207 mIU/L (0-500)
    S OESTRADIOL 91 pmol/L (<160)
    S PROGEST 3.9 nmol/L (0.7-4.3)
    S TESTO 25.0 nmol/L (12.0-31.9)
    S SHBG 68 H nmol/L (17-56)
    cFreeTesto 331 pmol/L (260-740)
    DHEAS 13.2 umol/L (2.2-15.2)

S CORTISOL-AM 451 nmol/L (170-550)
    COLL.TIME 08:35

INSULIN CURVE

S INSULIN REF RANGE
    FASTING: 3.2 uU/mL ( <17 )
    60 Minutes: L 32.8 uU/mL ( 46 - 102 )
    120 Minutes: L 12.4 uU/mL ( 23 - 59 )

GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST
    P Glucose Fasting : 4.2 mmol/L ( 3.6 - 6.0 )
    P Glucose 1-Hour : 7.1 mmol/L ( 3.6 - 11.0 )
    P Glucose 2-Hour : 4.4 mmol/L ( 3.6 - 7.7 )

B12/FOLATE

S Total B12 560 pmol/L (200-700)

THcy (Homocysteine) 9 umol/L (6-15)

HAEMATOLOGY

HAEMOGLOBIN 144 g/L (130-180)
    Hct 0.43 (0.39-0.51)
    RBC 4.8 x10*12/L (4.3-5.8)
    MCV 89 fL (80-100)
    MCH 30 pg (27-34)
    MCHC 337 g/L (310-360)
    RDW 14.4 (11-17)
    PLATELETS 221 x 10*9/L (150-450)
    WHITE CELLS 5.6 x10*9/L (4.0-11.0)
    Neutrophils# 3.4 x10*9/L (2.0-7.5)
    Lymphocytes# 1.5 x10*9/L (1.0-4.0)
    Monocytes# 0.5 x10*9/L (0-1.0)
    Eosinophils# 0.1 x10*9/L (0-0.5)
    Basophils# 0.0 x10*9/L (0-0.3)
    ESR 6 mm/hr (1-10)

VITAMIN D

S 25OH VIT D 120 nmol/L (75-250)

IMMUNOSEROLOGY

AGA IgG <20 (-20)
    T-glutaminase <5 (-5)

S CRP, SENSIT 1.1 mg/L (<5)

DHT 3.4 nmol/L ( 0.7 - 5.1 )

8. sooperb

sooperb New Member

That is an impressive test list. I can't help you with any of it but I have seen suggested often that you post on the specific lab test thread as there are those who can read it and understand (lucky beggars lol).

9. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

10. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

RDW 14.4 (11-17)

"Red cell distribution width or RDW is a parameter that measures variation in red blood cell size or red blood cell volume. A high RDW (over 14.5%) means that the red blood cells vary a lot in size. A normal RDW is 11.6 to 14.6%, but researchers from the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute found that patients with a RDW level greater than or equal to 12.9% had an increased risk for depression."

http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthre...Red-Cell-Distribution-Width-Levels-Depression

This can be caused by deficiencies in b12, folate, iron, selenium, vitamin E and possibly some other things.

11. ozbuck

ozbuck New Member

Hi HoneyChild,

Thanks for the replies!

If this is correct, what could be causing the dehydration? Simply just not enough water?

I don't drink any liquid except for water... sometimes tea, but thats it.

Thanks

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

non native EMF = dehydration...

13. ozbuck

ozbuck New Member

Interesting Honey Child!!

I wonder if the high RDW is a cause or symptom of depression. I read that further research is being made.

From the tests, my Iron is good: S IRON 15 umol/L (5-30) ... B12 is fine: S Total B12 560 pmol/L (200-700) ... I take 200mcg of selenium a day. Just started taking some red palm oil every day (Vit E).

Maybe I need to work on my Folate levels?

Thanks for the insight!!!!!!! =)

14. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

Your B12 is actually a little low, Jack has said in one of his blog posts he likes B12 to be over 1,000.

http://www.jackkruse.com/what-can-you-find-about-your-own-health/

You can also be B12 deficient in the brain but have normal levels in the body. Freddd had degeneration of his spinal cord and needs to take very large amounts of B12 for it to get into his central nervous system (CNS). I believe he's now having problems with the Jarrow Formulas B12 but I've not really been keeping up to date with his protocol.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/

15. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold