1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal water containers

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by granitereno@gmail.com, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I have gathered here that for home, ceramic or glass jugs are what we should choose.
    However, for walkabout purposes: what should we choose to transport our wonder water?

Does steel leach?
    Would it affect magnetic properties?

Likewise for titanium?
    Any clever thoughts?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Our bodies?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Good question, greno. Difficult to get away from plastic. BPA free is good, but what about the other compounds?
    There are some glass water containers with protective plastic outside. Like the old thermos bottles, and newer drinking bottles.

3. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

We use lifefactory water bottles. It's glass with a silicone/rubber protective outer case.

4. I'm using stainless steel right now but looking for a good glass one. I need something to bring to work that doesn't look obnoxious! :)

5. kjgraffin@yahoo.com

kjgraffin@yahoo.com New Member

I use a bamboobottle. It is a glass container with a bamboo sleeve. I love it! It holds 16oz.

6. How do we feel about titanium?
    Any one have any strong feelings pro/con?
    I ask because:
    -I break things (glass things tend to end tragically for our young hero...)
    -I like gear. A lot. And titanium is sexy.
    Thank!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

So - Stainless is okay? I just bought one yesterday until I can fins something better.....Glass is best?

8. Hope

Hope Gold

I prefer glas for sure, too.....I usually use my 1 qt mineral water bottles, in summer I like to add a drop of lemon, orange or peppermint essential oil for taste once in a while (only pure). Only rarely break them (maybe 1 or 2 in several years, knock on wood). I know many people use SS....and I used to until I got pretty major heavy metal issues and started avoiding metals as much as possible - even in cooking (another topic, but now all I use pretty much is lead-free enameled steel or the old cast iron), I have read the food grade SS is pretty good.

9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I like glass containers best for drinking water. The metal stainless steel vessels seem to change the flavor of the water (at least to my tastebuds). Can't stand any kind of plastic...even the "safe" ones.

10. Hope

Hope Gold

Isn't it amazing how sensitive our taste buds get? I have the same thing.....people used to laugh at me when I'd rather not drink anything in a restaurant if they didn't have any water in a glass bottle lol

11. Inger

Inger Silver

I always use glassbottles... just in emergency I use plastic but I try not to...

12. Coriander

Coriander Silver

A really cheap way to go, if you're in the USA, is the Cuppow. You can turn an ordinary glass canning jar into a travel mug with this bpa-free lid: http://cuppow.com/

13. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks fro posting! Haven't ever seen these. I have a pantry full of canning jars.

I can see it now...DH is going to want a couple of these for his apple pie & lemon drop moonshine ;)

14. diane

diane Gold

I got one of these at the tea place by me a few weeks ago. So cool!

15. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I ordered some of these this morning. They even have a cozy that helps keep your drink warm/cold.

16. jen

jen New Member

I have never liked drinking from mason jars because of the grooves around the top, but adapting the lid takes care of that problem! I like that they are so durable, easy to clean, and affordable! I have seen DIY versions, making a straw cup by putting a large grommet through the lid. I would want one with a handle too. I googled after reading this thread and found some handles but they are very masculine looking so I might just buy a jar that has a handle already. There are some cute painted ones on Etsy but I can do that myself too!

17. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

How would cucumbers rate for water containers for hiking or walkabout? They are mostly water, have 8 calories and 1.9 carbs per half cup. They could be chewed up for the water and then the fiber spat out. The water in raw veggies is already structured water, right? Cucumbers seem to grow like weeds in the garden. I have read tales about the people in the (Andes or Himalayas?) often being seen with their native cucumber in hand eating them when they are in season, the husks strewn all over the place.

Or go hiking in the rain and drink rainwater.

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Mmmmm, watermelon.
    :/ Perhaps a bit large for a walkabout.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I bought some Ball half gallon canning jars recently for refrigerating water, and the box says they are now BPA free. I checked on the shelf, and they did have some small lids that were BPA free, but the large lids must have been older stock. I don't see any visible difference in the new lids and others that I bought a little earlier this year.