1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal place to live

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by BJK77, Nov 7, 2012.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Let's hear it. Where do you think is the absolute perfect place to live? I'm thinking a definite must is a location close to the water (though DH fights me on this because of weather-related catastrophes). Considering food availability, light cycles, climate, etc, etc, is there truly a most optimal place to live?

2. Budget?.......

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Skyrim. :)

4. Definitely NOT southern California! We have horrible water with fluoride and chlorine added to the supply, the weather is too hot, and our beaches get contaminated by sewage coming up from Mexico (every now and again). Then again, there is an abundant supply of organic food and it's fairly easy to find some cuts grass fed beef in the grocery store.

I'm sure those of you out there with expansive thinking minds are going to come up with some fantastic worldly sites to live!

5. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Depends on what else you're looking for - job, school, ability to grown/raise your own food, inhabitability when the revolution comes, etc. You can always live next to a lake or stream if you want want. Go up in elevation so you have CT year-round. Not knowing what you really want - I'd say Wyoming or Montana but then I don't prefer crowded locales. But that's only thinking in US-terms - I have no idea where I'd choose if the world were my oyster.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

latitude 86.35.......is optimal for all eutherian mammals once they adapt.

Saichi and Michael Huggler like this.
  7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

my Ideal place to live: Sun Valley Idaho. (But I doubt I can get DH to move there)

so on my List is Colorado (Denver or C.Springs), Salt Lake City, UT, MT or WY, Taos, NM, Reno NV (Foothills of the Eastern side of the sierra nevada), Flagstaff AZ.

I'm basically looking for high altitude, snow from Oct - Apr, dry heat in summer, and great weather year round (to include lots of snow!)

Ben1983 likes this.
  8. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I want it all . . . :D

9. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

I think New Zealand could be pretty good.

They've got the natural resources - Weston Price quotes people who reckon the Maoris were the healthiest people on earth.

And the scenery - no wonder they shot Lord of the Rings there.

I'd miss the history, though. I like being able to walk around a medieval building and feel a sense of a totally different form of life - maybe a worse one, but an interestingly different one - there that was real even if it's out of reach now.

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

NONONONO dont' come to Wyoming!!!! (just kidding) One of the greatest things we have going for us is minimal population. I bitch and moan about it all the time but "civilization" is only a few hours drive away. Plus, with the internet, UPS and FedEx the world comes to us. the only downside? The occasional mountain lion wandering through my yard!

11. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

That's pretty impressive. It'd be a tabby cat round here - English south coast.

12. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

I always thought Victoria, BC, Canada would be nice.... but maybe not enough sunshine :-(

13. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Sunshine is imperative in my book! Scenery will have to come second.

14. Entelechy

Entelechy New Member

even taking into account the geopathic stress of increased ionizing cosmic radiation?

15. I love how you casually drop these little bombs! But, seriously... 86.35° ?? That would put you on the pack ice of the Arctic (or somewhere near the Transantarctic mountains in the south). And I who used to think that the winter days here on 59°N were too short to be optimal...

16. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Cold and dark is the point, though. The shorter your winter days are and the less you're relying on modern technology (ie: fake light) to get you through the long, dark nights, the better.

17. I'm going to have to vote on the side of "happiness through moderation". If we move to Ice Chunk central - where on earth will my son find a wife to give me all the damn grandbabies I want!

18. Inger

Inger Silver

I am thinking.. the Lofoten Islands in north Norway where my mom comes from.

The family have a cottage there up in the moutains. It is so beautiful. So much fish in the surrounding sea. So much seaweeds, bladderwrack every where. I am thinking this must be a really healthy place to live for sure... My mom is very healthy and slim even if 60 yo and beeing a mom of 15 kids, she was swimmimg a lot in the cold Atlantic as a kid, she told me they were totally blue as kids but still were swimmimg the whole summer..lol It does not get very warm there in summer eather. I guess they were quite cold adapted. I am thinking I got my love to cold water from my mom.

She told me they had to go skiing to school in deep snow, very far. Every day. No school busses or anything. They had fish too on the menu quite often. But no one was eating seaweeds tho. I would if I move there one day. I am thinking about moving to Norway anyways. They have more and better fish there. The Baltic sea is polluted for sure, not so the Atlantic. You can go fishing wherever you want for free, and you get a lot of fish!!! Big fishes! I need to move there. My brother has invited me to live by him he lives alone in a small own house he buyed. I am considering it for real. I have nothing that keeps me here really. In Norway you get Jobs easy, they have only around 3% of their population unemployed. You get crabs there too, they are easy to catch by yourself. And mussels. And fresh raw shrimps. Talk about heaven... :)

19. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Yeah I'm certainly not signing up for the next expedition...but I wasn't surprised in the least that he said it to begin with...;)

Vermont pretty much feels like Ice Chunk Central today, anyway...brrrr!

20. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

My nephew is living and working in London. I'm hoping I can use that as an excuse to go back there for a visit. :)