1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal is a choice: Kris' Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by kris90, May 11, 2017.

1. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

What are you using for toast?

Cindy Domitrovits likes this.
  2. kris90

kris90 New Member

I use ACE bread. It's amazing. They have a lot of good products, and I can REALLY tell the quality is good. I've never had issues with bread, but this one is different, never have any form of bloating or anything:

http://www.acebakery.com/home/products/loaves/pane-rustico/

I'll usually just have 1 slice of this, and it's a pretty big slice (albeit thin) and only 12g carbs. I load it up with coconut oil usually.

3. kris90

kris90 New Member

Got my Vitamin D levels back:

134 nmol/L. They were 135 nmol/L going into the winter, so I'm happy with that.

I do use a tanning salon that has some UVB light throughout the winter. TBH, I would have thought my levels would have been much higher as @Cindy Domitrovits got her levels just below 200 nmol/L and we both tanned about the same. The difference though is that I work 40 hours per week under fluorescent lighting while she does not. BUT, I do CT and she does not, so perhaps my receptors are more sensitized? Also I live in a low population dense area surrounded by trees with much less EMF and get more naked than Mom does, while she lives in the city, so hard to say why, but overall I'm not worried.

Would love opinions on this.

4. kris90

kris90 New Member

AHA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5426652

This might just answer my question. Vitamin D is a Regulator of eNOS.

In Vermont last year, @Jack Kruse told me I'm running off eNOS (which is the metabolic switch for winter when we become cold adapted). If Vitamin D regulates eNOS, and eNOS runs the show during the Canadian winters I face, perhaps my Vitamin D will be used up?

Jack also mentioned to me that the more I do in the summer (i.e. use sunlight to charge my mammalian battery) the better I'll do in winter. So perhaps in the temperate zones, we are designed to harvest as much UV light as possible to raise our Vitamin D levels as high as possible so that we have enough "reserve" to get us through the winter?

5. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

I'd be interested in finding an answer to this as well.

FYI - for myself, I haven't added much carbs back in yet. Still been smashing seafood.

6. kris90

kris90 New Member

I'm sure, because I went from a warm-adapted lean individual who practiced IF (although had lots of hunger pangs) with low T levels (and symptoms), to cold-adapted with even lower T levels, and zero hunger as well as zero symptoms.

7. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

Yes exactly, the further north you are the more daylight hours there are in late spring, summer, and early fall. On April 21, sunrise to sunset is 15 hours. On June 21 it will be 19 hours. The charger is on for long periods of time.

upload_2019-4-21_16-28-42.png

Corey Nelson, kris90 and recoen like this.
  8. recoen

recoen Gold

@kris90 why more carbs earlier in the day?

9. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes for sure!

10. kris90

kris90 New Member

I think insulin sensitivity is optimized in the AM, and we become more insulin resistant at night.

recoen likes this.
  11. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Damn Kris, I think you accidentally added a (1) to your vit d level. In Canada too. Solid.

kris90 likes this.
  12. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Ur vit D toxic, better back off man : ). Ok, so thats the first I have heard of eNOS and vitamin D. I know UVA increases NO, but didnt think of it as an always synonymous relationship. If the vit D is going up, so are the healthy NO levels? The two are peas and carrots always? Going to start measuring NO with strips along with the vit D to test. Thanks for the updates, cool to watch.

kris90 likes this.
  13. kris90

kris90 New Member

I think my stores are topped up. I can never seem to get above 135 nmol/l, and they stay around that year-round. The amount of naked sunbathing I do is ridiculous lol!

I think if I understand correctly, Vitamin D helps us make eNOS. Given that we run on eNOS in the winter time when the SCN switches from light to temperature (VIP is low), it makes sense that mammals would need to build up their Vitamin D going in to the winter, and then cold on the skin is what signals eNOS.

recoen, Corey Nelson and drezy like this.
  14. kris90

kris90 New Member

Headaches are gone now! I was either fighting something (I had a bit of a lingering virus with some congestion), or my body was making some adjustments to adding carbs back to the diet.

Weather has been a little up and down lately too, some beautiful, hot sunny days, followed by cold/rainy days. I've been taking advantage of using CT in my car with the windows down and getting out in the cold, and it's really cool how amazing I feel even on cloudy days.

Can't wait to get my pool open for the season and take advantage of some outdoor CT before it naturally heats up this summer!

drezy likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

At your location, and if you like doing shovel workouts, you might be able to take advantage of a simple geothermal system for keeping your pool cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter for relatively low cost...

kris90 likes this.
  16. kris90

kris90 New Member

Tell me more :)

17. drezy

drezy Gold

Hmmm I may have spoke a little too soon. A 2 meter hole is pretty deep and 2 meters is where the fun seems to start according to your fellow Canucks

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.59.11 AM.png

Cited from:
    https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/accepted/?id=386ddf88-fe8d-45dd-aabb-0a55be826f3f

2m down you're between 40(5C) and 55F(14C) with a nice 3 month-ish lag in temperature rise.

Unless you have some dirt or naked pictures of a well drill owner, I think it may not be as low cost as I first thought.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Bob Stirling and kris90 like this.
  18. kris90

kris90 New Member

That's pretty cool!

19. drezy

drezy Gold

If you wanted to run a thought experiment just to see what a possible scenario might look like (cost) you to do on your owlet me know. I think If @brookway17 jumped into the thought experiment as the mechanical engineering brain it might be fun to try.

Bob Stirling and kris90 like this.
  20. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

For interest, this is a 4.5 metre shaft in frozen ground dug with hand tools. Takes a little bit of time but is doable.

upload_2019-4-25_17-42-37.png