1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal in Europe

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by WalterNL, Jan 31, 2017.

1. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Hello fellow readers,

I read in some other blog about anti-fragility, also read the book with the same title. Becoming more anti-fragile has been my goal, I believe it underlines a lot of things we call health. My personal experience with other diets/lifestyles that focus solely on food and exercise is that while they may improve some biomarkers, increase muscle mass, etc., they also make me more fragile. I was a lot more susceptible to getting ill (like having a cold, headache, skin burn or excessive muscle pain), and the smallest thing could kick me down. I never accepted that part of 'eating more healthy'.

So it was a huge relief that following the 'protocols' have made me much more resilient than I ever thought possible. Getting the basic stuff (more energy, better feeling, etc.) is one thing, but being better able to cope with external stressors is another, since I don't plan to live a sheltered life away from all challenges. Getting sunshine, grounding/magnetism, and good water is what's made the difference. I believe all diets I've tried would've worked much better if I had this groundwork back then.

Perhaps it also helps that the protocols are better substantiated, with a combination of the sciences, old wisdom and human traditions. Getting in touch with nature would've sounded weird to me a decade ago, but at this moment it's so obvious I'm surprised how ignorant I was. Diet is not that interesting to me anymore, except that it's obviously better to have the least processed, local food. I'm not looking for any perfection.

Anyway here's my short road to optimal;

I started my journey to get better after having problems with digestion (bloating, gas, irregular movements, etc.), migraines and low energy. My search led me to paleo and Bulletproof diets which helped but did not suffice. Above all I like simplicity, and while taking many supplements and biohacking can feel liberating for a while, I never see it as a long term strategy. Plus I always felt something was out of whack, something was missing and the usual answer to be more 'strict' starts to get annoying.

Like most people here I can relate the knowledge on the blog to my personal experiences. Several friends and coworkers have gotten sick in seemingly inexplicable ways, but after reading many blogs I could put the pieces together.

I've been implementing large parts of the protocols over the past year. The things I do consistently are mineral water (many great mineral waters available here), red/orange lights in the bedroom (which is on ground floor & near sea level), wearing blue-blocking glasses after sunset, sleep hygiene, and being serious about circadian rhythm. In summer I absolutely need to do CT to sleep properly, but in winter I'm not drawn to it naturally so do it less often, but I sleep in a fairly cold room around 50-55F. I play around with icepacks regularly. During working days I always go outside during lunch, I have to walk a lot in general, about one full hour a day.

Nicotine has helped me push through some rough patches. Too much coffee screwed me up bad a few years back, but nicotine has both stopped dependence and any negative effects I used to have (I was dehydrated like hell while doing 'coffee fasting'). I use supplements like curcumin, iodine, magnesium, B-vitamins, plus maybe astaxanthin, ubiquinol when under stress. Herring, shrimp and mussels are plentiful here. I started to enjoy oysters too, but they're a hassle. I prefer salmon, cod (liver) and sardines for convenience. I also have fish oil caps, mostly sn2-position according to the producer.

Mentally & physically I feel great 95% of the time. I no longer experience the afternoon slump I did for years in college, nor do I ever feel groggy anymore after waking up. Energy levels and mental clarity are simply much better than ten years ago. Another obvious change is that I rarely feel cold anymore. My latest revelation occured while skiing in the French Alps: not feeling cold even with -20C.

My bowel movements are pretty much always type 4 Bristol chart. They come at one or two times: around 7-8 AM and around 3 to 4 PM. Depending if I ate enough. Some days I don't have any bowel movement but there are days I simply don't eat a lot. When I feel like fasting, I fast.

But so far the good news, I don't eat much greens (one cup/day), I eat grains sporadically, usually I only get AM sunlight in weekends, I drink beer about once a month, and sometimes go overboard on the stimulants. I use Wifi at home, and I can tell there's about 20 other Wifi-networks around me. Oh and I wear contacts a few days a week. I've gained about 10kgs since starting to work at an office. The overuse of stimulants/dehydration/stress leads to migraines a once or twice a year, an aura with mild headache (improvement as it was more often and worse).

I've only done a blood test once at 25. It was not comprehensive, but all within normal ranges. Blood pressure was too high, it's within normal range now. Sadly it's not easy to get blood tests here.

I'm still a biohacker, turning into a mitochondriac. I appreciate nature a lot more, and am skeptic of technology even if I still love technological progress. Needless to say I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my environment. I'm living near latitude 52 now, have no plans to move south but who knows what the future holds. Moving to some place outside the city where I can be like the Sphinx is my ultimate goal now. Diet can definitely be improved, but of course it starts with light.. I'll but the Quantlet and a small RO filter for drinking water soon. Getting more sunshine is a challenge, but at least I'm drawn to the sun whenever it pops up here. I also want to visit the sea more often since it's close by.

Summary: 29 yrs old, 52nd parallel north, near North Sea, office work.

Problems fixed:
    -Bowel discomfort/bloating
    -Anxiety
    -Poor sleep
    -Better skin
    -Mental clarity
    -Kidney stones
    -Wrist pain
    -Nausea

Still dealing with:
    -Stuffy nose in certain houses/offices
    -Being overweight (about 10kgs, but least of my worries)
    -Poor habits

Some of my best biohacks:
    -Exo Terra Sun Glo lamps
    -Donat MG mineral water
    -UVEX blue blocking glasses
    -Nicotine gum/lozenge
    -Coffee
    -Astaxanthin & ubiquinol

Thanks for reading, looking forward to join discussions and learn even more.

Verena1028 likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

[qu ote="WalterNL, post: 207622, member: 19189"]Hello fellow readers,

I read in some other blog about anti-fragility, also read the book with the same title. Becoming more anti-fragile has been my goal, I believe it underlines a lot of things we call health. My personal experience with other diets/lifestyles that focus solely on food and exercise is that while they may improve some biomarkers, increase muscle mass, etc., they also make me more fragile. I was a lot more susceptible to getting ill (like having a cold, headache, skin burn or excessive muscle pain), and the smallest thing could kick me down. I never accepted that part of 'eating more healthy'.

So it was a huge relief that following the 'protocols' have made me much more resilient than I ever thought possible. Getting the basic stuff (more energy, better feeling, etc.) is one thing, but being better able to cope with external stressors is another, since I don't plan to live a sheltered life away from all challenges. Getting sunshine, grounding/magnetism, and good water is what's made the difference. I believe all diets I've tried would've worked much better if I had this groundwork back then.

Perhaps it also helps that the protocols are better substantiated, with a combination of the sciences, old wisdom and human traditions. Getting in touch with nature would've sounded weird to me a decade ago, but at this moment it's so obvious I'm surprised how ignorant I was. Diet is not that interesting to me anymore, except that it's obviously better to have the least processed, local food. I'm not looking for any perfection.

Anyway here's my short road to optimal;

I started my journey to get better after having problems with digestion (bloating, gas, irregular movements, etc.), migraines and low energy. My search led me to paleo and Bulletproof diets which helped but did not suffice. Above all I like simplicity, and while taking many supplements and biohacking can feel liberating for a while, I never see it as a long term strategy. Plus I always felt something was out of whack, something was missing and the usual answer to be more 'strict' starts to get annoying.

Like most people here I can relate the knowledge on the blog to my personal experiences. Several friends and coworkers have gotten sick in seemingly inexplicable ways, but after reading many blogs I could put the pieces together.

I've been implementing large parts of the protocols over the past year. The things I do consistently are mineral water (many great mineral waters available here), red/orange lights in the bedroom (which is on ground floor & near sea level), wearing blue-blocking glasses after sunset, sleep hygiene, and being serious about circadian rhythm. In summer I absolutely need to do CT to sleep properly, but in winter I'm not drawn to it naturally so do it less often, but I sleep in a fairly cold room around 50-55F. I play around with icepacks regularly. During working days I always go outside during lunch, I have to walk a lot in general, about one full hour a day.

Nicotine has helped me push through some rough patches. Too much coffee screwed me up bad a few years back, but nicotine has both stopped dependence and any negative effects I used to have (I was dehydrated like hell while doing 'coffee fasting'). I use supplements like curcumin, iodine, magnesium, B-vitamins, plus maybe astaxanthin, ubiquinol when under stress. Herring, shrimp and mussels are plentiful here. I started to enjoy oysters too, but they're a hassle. I prefer salmon, cod (liver) and sardines for convenience. I also have fish oil caps, mostly sn2-position according to the producer.

Mentally & physically I feel great 95% of the time. I no longer experience the afternoon slump I did for years in college, nor do I ever feel groggy anymore after waking up. Energy levels and mental clarity are simply much better than ten years ago. Another obvious change is that I rarely feel cold anymore. My latest revelation occured while skiing in the French Alps: not feeling cold even with -20C.

My bowel movements are pretty much always type 4 Bristol chart. They come at one or two times: around 7-8 AM and around 3 to 4 PM. Depending if I ate enough. Some days I don't have any bowel movement but there are days I simply don't eat a lot. When I feel like fasting, I fast.

But so far the good news, I don't eat much greens (one cup/day), I eat grains sporadically, usually I only get AM sunlight in weekends, I drink beer about once a month, and sometimes go overboard on the stimulants. I use Wifi at home, and I can tell there's about 20 other Wifi-networks around me. Oh and I wear contacts a few days a week. I've gained about 10kgs since starting to work at an office. The overuse of stimulants/dehydration/stress leads to migraines a once or twice a year, an aura with mild headache (improvement as it was more often and worse).

I've only done a blood test once at 25. It was not comprehensive, but all within normal ranges. Blood pressure was too high, it's within normal range now. Sadly it's not easy to get blood tests here.

I'm still a biohacker, turning into a mitochondriac. I appreciate nature a lot more, and am skeptic of technology even if I still love technological progress. Needless to say I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my environment. I'm living near latitude 52 now, have no plans to move south but who knows what the future holds. Moving to some place outside the city where I can be like the Sphinx is my ultimate goal now. Diet can definitely be improved, but of course it starts with light.. I'll but the Quantlet and a small RO filter for drinking water soon. Getting more sunshine is a challenge, but at least I'm drawn to the sun whenever it pops up here. I also want to visit the sea more often since it's close by.

Summary: 29 yrs old, 52nd parallel north, near North Sea, office work.

Problems fixed:
    -Bowel discomfort/bloating
    -Anxiety
    -Poor sleep
    -Better skin
    -Mental clarity
    -Kidney stones
    -Wrist pain
    -Nausea

Still dealing with:
    -Stuffy nose in certain houses/offices
    -Being overweight (about 10kgs, but least of my worries)
    -Poor habits

Some of my best biohacks:
    -Exo Terra Sun Glo lamps
    -Donat MG mineral water
    -UVEX blue blocking glasses
    -Nicotine gum/lozenge
    -Coffee
    -Astaxanthin & ubiquinol

Thanks for reading, looking forward to join discussions and learn even more.[/quote]
    migranes are often corelated with very low progesterone

when you walk, try to be barefoot as much as possible

do not use cod liver oil or any other fish oils
    if you are able get fatty acids analysis and use its results to regulate your seafood intake

Not sure if you need RO if you have good spring wate available

29 yrs old, 52nd parallel north, near North Sea, office work
    you could use Red Sperti
    15min/day would help you in maintaining good vit A & D
    just start slow, do not burn skin
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ID8P78/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is good idea to not to be over weighted.
    Eat 1x/day, end eating 4-6 hrs before bed time.
    You may want to drink only water 2 days/week

-Kidney stones---->keep vit D high

-Stuffy nose in certain houses/offices----->>think mold, new carpets (real bad)

WalterNL likes this.
  3. Inger

Inger Silver

Welcome Walter! :)
    I live close to the north sea too... in north Germany :) are you in Germany too?

WalterNL likes this.
  4. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Thanks for your reply. You're right I shouldn't be taking fish oils, old habits... and agreed about losing weight. Some days I can eat two meals, I'll try to keep it to one meal for a few days, perhaps doing whole day fasts.

I do have good spring water available, but I read on this forum that high mineral waters (like Gerolsteiner or Apollinaris) are not good to drink continuously, RO water would be the opposite in terms of mineral content. I may be mistaken though.
    And I've looked into Red Sperti, it does seem like a good investment.

5. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Thanks! I'm in Holland near the sea, so almost Germany. ;)

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

welcome.....

WalterNL likes this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Welcome. The universe brings the right people together in life and many times on the internet. It will bring them whatever they need but not whatever they want. The cosmos contains the quan in life. Our job is to let the magic happen. It’s always there, but most of us miss it because we only look but we never observe. The comfort of a paycheck is the major cause of our blindness.........Money and greed are why we fail to see what matters. There is a higher essence to everything in nature around us even when it is less than it could be. We're built by nature to penetrate through it, no matter how dark and heavy it seems on the surface. Sunrises and sunsets are our armor. Make it a point of appreciating the fragrance of the flowers at sunrise and the beauty of the sunset daily.

8. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Inspiring words. Food for thought. Or better to say light for thought.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

We always wake to a Dawn chorus of lorikeets etc. ...... heavenly

10. Sun-sybarite

Sun-sybarite New Member

@WalterNL I have never heard of anti-fragility, will have to research that. This was a nice post. I agree with what you said about keeping it simple. All those diets making you take so many supplements and then making you feel bad about not being strict enough - I'm glad to be past that too, hate feeling bad about myself, thats just not right!

Can you share anything specific you did to make the afternoon slump go away? I rely a lot on black tea(caffeine) for that and sometimes I feel groggy after waking up too.

''Mitochondriac' - interesting word!

11. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

The most important thing for me was to fix my circadian rhythm, so having light at right times of day, darkness at night. Things really started to improve once I got sunshine and grounding at least in the weekend. Diet wasn't so important anymore, other than eating fairly healthy and not eating too late. At the office I drink spring water all day long, and for lunch I always go walk outside. I still have coffee and a low dose of nicotine, but that doesn't help me without water.

Exercise did nothing in this regard. Of course it has certain benefits, but nothing with regard to focus & energy while working.

12. Sun-sybarite

Sun-sybarite New Member

Thank you. I suppose it all comes down to the circadian rhythm like Dr.K said. Getting up and sleeping at the right time is not the problem, but being a night owl its easy for me to stray into staying awake later and waking up late as well. I will work on this, think it will end up being a lifelong effort.

Thats true about exercise, in fact I find it more draining than energising these days. Only exception is swimming or any watersports, wonder why...

Drinking spring water vs. Normal water - do you feel a difference?

13. Benjamin Stone

Benjamin Stone New Member

Hi Walter, are you still drinking Donat MG? What has your experience been, positive or negative? It looks really interesting but I am concerned the high bicarbonate level could diminish digestive function.

14. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Hi @Benjamin Stone , it's been a long time since I drank it. I was drinking it for the high magnesium content, but I stopped focusing on my mineral/vitamin intake and starting focusing on light environment. But while I was drinking it, I did not notice anything noteworthy negative or positive.

15. Benjamin Stone

Benjamin Stone New Member

Thanks for letting me know!