1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal Fitness for Children

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by KiwiLauren, Apr 2, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

For parents implementing these ideas with children (and other fitness gurus out there)... do you think the guidelines are the same for children, regardless of age? I've read some of Mark Sisson's writing on weight lifting for kids and most everything I read says the HIIT and weight lifting protocols are good for children... and of course a core of natural movement and play. However, I'm interested in the other side of the coin: are the CW ideas about fitness just as bad for children as they are for us? Do children experience the same rise in cortisol with sustained cardio? I want to challenge my children's school fitness regimen (currently training all the 11-13 year olds to run long-distance races in a few months by doing daily runs that get progressively longer in length and time), but I'd like some specific info to do this. Anyone?

2. Dead River Sailor

Dead River Sailor New Member

I am unaware of any studies regarding cortisol, aerobics and children. However, I am acutely aware of the huge issue of orthopedic trauma for people doing long aerobic training. Young people (teenagers) certainly have major orthopedic consequences when they do "long aerobics" (read running). If the trouble does not show up immediately, it often shows up later in obvious ways such as damaged feet.

I was training for long distance running at 12 years old, I had no obvious trauma but somehow I managed to have severely shortened legs (stuck at the same length as when I was 12 BTW) for my body proportions......could have been something else...but it is really way out of range. Growth plate damage in children is not reported with strength training according to Wayne Wescott.

Orthopedic trauma alone makes long aerobics a major caution.

Best DRS

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

swimming in cool water.....

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

The kids have been in swimming lessons since they were 6mths! can't keep 'em out of the water...would love it if they followed mommy into the competitive pool.... but we'll see!

5. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I wouldn't tolerate forcing my children to do long-distance running. Period.

Move slowly a lot. Lift heavy things. Sprint once in a while.

Get them to have the children play a lot of basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, etc. Sprinting, slow movement, and explosive bursts are part of those sports. If they whine that not everyone has ball co-ordination, true. Balance it with short-distance hurdle races, 100m dashes, rope climbing, rock climbing (cheap to install on one gym wall), etc.

At home, we hike a LOT. Canoe, bike, etc., but especially hiking. On the hikes, we jump boulders, swing from trees, dash after squirrels, jump in the river, whatever.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

one thing I've been encouraging the girl to do is walk on her hands & feet... helps her core and builds her coordination.. Also encouraging her to practice her balancing and climbing skills!

7. chocolate

chocolate Silver

There is a race horse training method based on an Army study of men that played high school basketball. Its the best. Its about straining the bone and calcification overlays. You stress the bone, let it rest and heal. Then again. I forgot the name of the method. Prevents injuries. The high school basket ball players had fewer breaks and denser bones. You can add a year of age to the bone with the method. But people aren't like animals (allegedly).

8. I'd say no to the daily runs. I can't imagine my daugher being forced to run, she HATES it. What is their "point" with the races? Community? Team spirit? Accomplishment? Aren't there other ways to achieve that? I bet the program designer is a runner LOL

The DD, 15 yo, loves to dance, has been doing so since 2. Rides her bike or walks just about everywhere. Loves to flip tires and lift weights, but only sporadically. She take coaching better from her stepdad than from me, so he trains her with the barbell. he trained her for a powerlifting meet in Nov, we did it together, it was great fun.

Her JV tennis "practice" consisted of sitting on the bleachers and watching the varsity tennis girls games. 4 days of 5. The 5th day they went out on the courts. She want to make varsity this summer, so she is starting today to work with DH in the gym. Knows she needs to be stronger and faster.

9. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks everyone. I totally agree. And I'm appalled at their 'mandatory' stance on the running. What is their point? Not sure - fitness achievement I'd think. The thing is, my kids are very active. They play sports, they walk (or scooter) to school, they cycle in the neighborhood. And, as we move into autumn, we've been doing family beach swims (water temp is 60 degrees at the moment) in the ocean! The kids love it.

I just wish I had a way to convince the schools that the long-distance running is a no-go. (Clearly, I can set a limit for my children and they must oblige. I was just hoping for something more global.)

10. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

See Barry and his opinion on Fasted State Training. If one is a fat burner, it seems to be much much better and way less (in fact improves) endurance training. So probably the same for kids. So if the school insists on long distance training, fat adapt your kids. Also, it's OK to give them BP coffee in the morning. There's no bad effects of coffee/caffeine on kids. (Obviously get good coffee b/c the same problems remain the same for kids as with adults). Maybe for kids...you can give slightly less of the coffee, and add a bit more butter or perhaps some raw-grass fed cream (if tolerated). Also for kids, you can put some raw sugar in their drink too.

Let me know how this goes. I know with other kids around with junk food pizza etc., fat adapting might be hard for kids...sigh.