1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Optimal circadian living

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Jul 14, 2012.

1. I just bought my BF some grounding flip flops from Juil. They are beautiful leather ones with copper grounding spots. Very cool.

Thanks for the idea of orange battery candles. Where did you get those? I love candle light and that is what I have been using in the bedroom at night. But I think a battery one in the bathroom would be great for washing my face at night. And I love the red light idea for reading. Last night I had on reading glasses and orange wrap around glasses over those and started getting a "nose ache" so I stopped reading. Researching red lights now....

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Amazon! If I could buy my organic, grassfed food from Amazon I would... I hate shopping in any form...but if I let DH do it we'd eat conventional crap...

3. janagram

janagram New Member

Pattycakes, I use only only one blublocker light bulb...in a bedside lamp for reading at night. I found it preferrable to double glasses! In summer we sit out on the back deck most of the evening. We do have a small solar lantern....how do solar yard lights rank?

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I bought some of those yellow bug lights made for porch lights. I have one now in my stove venthood. So when I need light in the kitchen in the morning or evening, I turn that one one instead of the other regular lights. It's fairly cheap.

Wish I could find something for my refrigerator light.

5. Thanks for the ideas. I'm usually done with the kitchen by 7pm, thank goodness! Will just use the orange glasses as we get into fall and winter like last winter. It worked out well. But the double glasses thing has got to go. I wonder if the red or orange light will work on a kindle. Anyone tried that?

6. Thanks Shinjin for the amazon idea. DOH!!!! Free prime shipping!

7. It has been known since 2001 that it is the blue component in ordinary white light that is most effective in suppressing melatonin. Studies at the University of Toronto (2) verified that wearing glasses that block blue light at wavelength shorter than 530nm allowed subjects working a night shift under bright lights to continue making melatonin just as they had on a previous night spent in darkness. In other words, wearing the glasses produces “virtual darkness”.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/press-releases/article/New-Evidence-Shows-Avoiding-the-Blue-Light-from-3609337.php#ixzz253TWWHZI

Duchess Sunshine likes this.
  8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I have been using this product during a couple of last winters. I just checked on it and it says among other things ...blue light. Not good, right?

Zadro Sun 365 Portable Mood Adjusting Light

Light regulates our lives. We wake up with the light and go to sleep when it is dark. During winter months when there is not a lot of natural sunlight and it’s raining or snowing, you might be effected by not being as active and feeling the blues. A bright Light in a sunlight frequency can help as your brain perceives it as a natural sunlight.

• You can travel with it

• It's safe as there is no UV

• There are no chemicals

• It's portable – you can travel with this unit

Your Sunlight 365 Includes:

• 35 Blue LED’s
    / Light Frequency 470 nm

• Adjustment of Light Intensity

• Countdown Timer

• Desktop Clock

• LED Backlight

• Free pouch

• Power Adapter

9. nate.reik@yahoo.com

nate.reik@yahoo.com New Member

Destiny,

470 nm is where our photoreceptors for circadian timing are most sensitive. So I would assume this would help stimulate them, but I'd also think the timing would have to be correct......I'm guessing the best is to use it @ sunrise?

I think this is worth reposting, chocolate originally posted it and this is what REALLY tied it together for me on circadian cycles. https://www.bna.org.uk/news/view.php?permalink=JT46EDZ325

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I was using it in the morning but I am not sure about the BLUE LED lights in it.

11. nate.reik@yahoo.com

Seems to me that Jack was saying blue light is bad in the context of improper timing. Since we're most sensitive to 470nm (Blue light) for the purposes of circadian timing, I can't see why using it at sunrise would be a problem?

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Then, I understood Dr. K incorrectly, I thought he was saying that blue light is bad any time.

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I understood as you did, Destiny. Blue light, anytime, is not good. It is artificial and not biologically appropriate. However, if we are going to be exposed to blue light we should optimise the timing... during sunlight hours. I do think he suggested, however, that seeing the REAL sun before you see blue light is much better... and that you only need 60 seconds of sunlight on your eyes to get things started.

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Destiny & Lauren are right Jack has said several times that blue light is bad at any time. He's even said working in high blue light during the day can mess w/circadian cycles and recommends considering blue blockers of you don't have access to natural light during the work day

Artificial light before sunrise and after sunrise is not optimal. That doesn't mean you can't make adjustments to get your self to as close as optimal astound can.

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

It will be safer to put my Zadro Sun into a garbage.

16. nate.reik@yahoo.com

This is what's frustrating me about Jack. He makes statements like this, but if I'm to listen to him and question everything as he says, I want to see the evidence. Where's he coming up with this? The problem is that Jack's whole way of thinking pulls so many aspects into one place, it's hard to back it all up. That's where a book would help, I'd think. I don't doubt him on this, but his vagueness about some things especially when he doesn't provide any other cites/info is frustrating when we're looking for clarfiication.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Once you have the answer all you really gotta do is plug it into google or pubmed etc. Look for the cite yourself? I don't think Dr K could answer any questions anymore if he had to provide a cite for everything. It's accumulated knowledge... over years. And I was the one who asked about the blue light exposure during the day and the answer was it's always bad. Instead of looking for a cite I went and tried it out. What happened so far is much needed sleep if I refrain from blue light/artificial light exposure during the day. That's enough of a cite for me.

18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

N=1 YMMV. what works for me, may not work for you, and it may not work for Soul... continue to question and read. search out those journal articles... there are tons out there on artificial light... there's also plenty of blogs people have posted regarding their own experiments w/limiting artificial light - some of which go back to the early -mid 2000's.

you have to figure out what you need to do to make things work... right now I'm not CTing as much as I should - but finding ice on a regular basis has been hard... this weekend we'll fill up the stock tank and do a family CT... I'm looking fwd to CTing in the Winter - b/c it won't require ICE... I'm looking fwd to having lunch out in the courtyard at work sans jacket in the middle of winter - just to keep my body in the zone...

getting to optimal doesn't mean you move at my speed or someone elses... you have to get their via your own journey - Jack is just laying out how you get there... how fast you get there is determined by you and no one else....

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Dr k during the Q & A last night went into how we tend to compare ourselves on the forums but each of us is unique and what works for one might not work for the other. I believe that is true and I also believe that suggestions along my path what has worked for others I can go and try for myself.... you never know. And obviously, if things are still not working, then maybe more labs or a chat with Dr K is in order.

I have the same problem with CT right now and I think most of us do to a degree. My ice melts before I get it home.... I've settled for tap water temp hanging out in the tub, I have quite a lot of frozen plastic bottles that I throw in, I do my head dunking in real icy water. That's as much as I can come up with right now. I can't afford to spend ten or twenty bucks on ice every day.

I guess as I am sitting with last night's answers to a couple of my questions.... yes, everyone has a unique journey but I'm not sure we're in control of the speed of it, honestly. I know I'm not. I know I have to do some things nobody else really needs to.... that's okay. But do I determine the speed of getting to the promised land? Unfortunately, I really don't. It's probably the part that drives me crazy the most. Enjoy the journey, let go of the goal......

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Soul I think you're on target here 100% After close to a yr &1/2 of following JAck... I've finally gotten CONTEXT... :D mine is different from yours, and so on...

that's why N=1 is so important. we don't fit the box. no one does for that matter. once we realize that, and our doctors realize that...we can move fwd for treatment...