1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

On the Wagon..Off the Wagon...No More...This Time...Optimal!!!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by PaulaRichards, Mar 24, 2012.

1. diane

diane Gold

Good to know Darleen!!

2. endless

endless New Member

I think a lot of us are having struggles with cravings and mood lately....maybe it's just being ready for longer light cycles to start. I'd love to embrace being cold and dark but I'm craving sun, darn it! And somehow in my brain that translates to carbs.

I did the 23 and Me....I am a bit more confused about my results but maybe I have more SNPs to decipher, or maybe me brain fog is preventing me from figuring it out. Either way not much has changed because of it yet!

3. endless

endless New Member

Paula, where are you?? Hopefully on vacation with your toes in the sand somewhere:eek:

4. diane

diane Gold

I was wondering the same thing!

5. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

N=+3 Where'd you go?

6. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Geez, it's been 2 weeks?!!! Could have sworn it was only a week. No wonder I'm having trouble catching up with everyone!!!! I went off the rails a bit and it ended with an ice cream binge 7 days ago. Then frustration took over and I read a new book a friend of mine has been bugging me to read. The Plan. Basically an anti-inflammatory WOE combined with an elimination diet. So, I decided to give it a try because I was really starting to think there's gotta be someting I'm eating that is reacting with my body and preventing any weight loss. I haven't left the JK camp and I'm still eating paleo, but still not epi-paleo. I haven't tried adding eggs or bacon yet, both of which are favourites. I suspect eggs were a big problem for me since I lost 4.9lbs this week. I know the journey isn't about the weight loss but I can't lie, it feels good to feel the pants getting looser! And the increase in energy is a welcome change. Anyway, it's a journey and mine continues...:)

7. diane

diane Gold

Hi Paulalynn! Yep, everyone has their own path for sure.

I have to say, though, that after reading the last few blogs, I'm not sure I can read any of those books and believe them. :) While I may not be able to understand everything in there, I'm understanding the enormity of it all and the implications. :)

8. endless

endless New Member

Woohoo on the looser pants! Good idea to check into what you are reacting to.....I am considering going back to an AI protocol, despite my labs not really suggesting I need it, because I felt better on it.

I can relate to the ice cream binge....I did a similar thing a few days ago with sugar free gummy bears. I ate the entire bag, and then sat on the toilet in distress most of the night...if you've ever overindulged in Maltitol you'll understand why.

Good to see you posting! What is the book you've been reading?

9. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Krista, the book is "The Plan". For a quick explaination, here's the website:
    http://lyngenet.com/

But like Diane said, can we beleive this stuff??? I don't know. I do feel better after a week and if it was eggs or bacon, for example that was, in some way, preventing weigh loss or positive change, than I'm more than happy to have discovered that fact and lost a few pounds while doing so!

I can honestly say I have not been able to connect all the dots from everything I've read on the blogs but I'm trying! I know there's enormous implications and hoping each small change I make will come together to create more positive changes!

Oh, and Krista, I feel your pain on the maltitol issue! It was years ago when I was low carb that I ate things with sugar alcohols, it was a hard lesson but I avoid the stuff like crazy now!

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

EWW on the sugar alcohols. Man I learned the hard way my body does not tolerate them AT ALL. Plus I gain weight on them the same as I do sugar so what's the point. Easy to give them up when you figure THAT out.

I got back on the dark chocolate train about 10 days ago. I'd had a stash sitting in the "bread" box for months and now it's all gone. I have some 100% sitting in there and I think I may try a nibble since I no longer like anything below 90%+ and even that's a bit much. Weird how tastes change.

GLAD YOU'RE BACK!

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Glad you are back Paula - great news about the weight loss! I am long suspected eggs and bacon for me isn't good.....

12. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

6 months! Has it really that long?!?! Someday I'm going to want to come back and read about my obstacles and successes so it's time for a success update!!!

After so, so, so long of doing all the things suggested I hesitate to say it, BUT, I think I've figured out the Puzzle of ME! I'm down 25lbs. 25lbs!!!! And most days am feeling great. I knew there was 'something' preventing me from dropping the weight. It took a bit of effort figuring it out but it was food. The effort was beyond worth it!!!

I'm still eating 2000+ calories most days! Sometimes not because I'm simply not hungry. Cravings are gone. I haven't binged in months and don't even think about a binge! I feel free!! I must admit I haven't bid farewell to popcorn entirely but when I do indulge it doesn't drive me over the deep end.

I shed a quick tear when I realized pork was a no-no but I don't miss it too much. It was harder to bid farewell to chocolate but I've adjusted. I also discovered that I can eat eggs but not everyday.

So if anyone is still struggling and scratching their heads in dismay don't give up!!!!

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Paula! I am so happy to see your post.....congrats on the successes.

I can't eat eggs every day either - don't understand that - but that's okay .....and I really don't do well if I eat chocolate.
    So you don't eat bacon anymore either? I don't do well with bacon either.

It is amazing when you get control back .....I love it! Being craving free is wonderful.

Do you find that you just need to eat more simply? That really works for me.

Please pop back in and tell us more .....it helps other women who are really struggling here and can't seem to get a handle on it .....

Life is good?

14. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Hi Caroline! Life is good!

I do eat quite simply now. Still high fat and very low carb but it's so easy when I'm not battling cravings. I haven't officially 'tested' any seafood yet so I can't say I'm epi-paleo yet. I'm still not exercising and that's not a complaint! At the beginning of the summer I got some CT in when the ocean was 60 degrees but it's up to 72 now so my CT is over until I get my butt in the bathtub but I've never been able to get disciplined enough to do that on a regular basis. I drink more red wine than perhaps I should but other then that the weight loss became almost effortless once I figured out the pork and chocolate. And believe weight loss was never easy.

15. Hemming

Hemming New Member

How exactly did you get rid of the cravings? Did you only increase your fat intake or did you also increase protein and decrease carb? I'm underweight but I'm struggling with hunger (not cravings for particular things) and it annoys me that I can't focus because of it.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Paula....Have you tried doing kettle bell swings? It is so easy and so fun ...doesn't take much time and the results are amazing!

17. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

I'm very low carb, high fat and moderate protein. I did struggle with not being able to lose weight for years but once i figured out what i was reacting to (pork and chocolate) everything seemed to fall into place. I thankfully stumbled upon the book, The Plan and it definitely helped me eliminate my problem foods.

18. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Really!!! I was hooked at "doesn't take much time"! I love the part. Who has time for exercise??? :) I will look into it!

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Paula ...have a look at - "The Four hour Body" - by Tim Ferriss

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

What is this book you speak of? sounds really interesting.....