1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

On the Wagon..Off the Wagon...No More...This Time...Optimal!!!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by PaulaRichards, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Thanks Darleen! Misery LOVES company!!! It's getting better; the cravings are easing off now. I'm drinking coffee with CO & HWC; not quite BPC though, I guess I have to sub the HWC with butter? I love the cream but I need to commit to eliminating the dairy to see if it makes a difference in how I feel. I've had weird puffy spots under my eyes for the last year and have no idea why.

So, as the day progressed I felt better with less of the "what the hell, may as well eat" attitude.

BAB-yes

Lunch-2 eggs dripping in butter

Dinner-2 chicken thigh's & protein powder in coconut milk (canned), piece of dark chocolate (might need to eliminate-perhaps a trigger??)

2. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Have you read about bullet proof coffee at the source? He has a lot of interesting things to say about coffee in general. Because of him I have thrown out the decaf and am now making mine Americano (double shot of espresso in about 2 cups of hot water). Less caffeine and I have NO trouble sleeping. Since I've been decaf only for over 20 years I thought it might cause problems, but nope.

Butter, btw, is just cream without the casein which is a milk protein. So you get all that creamy delicious goodness without the stuff that bothers a lot of folks. And just as an FYI ... I'm using Troyer's hand rolled butter (Amish) lightly salted. That's all they had. And so far it is the only thing I will put in my coffee. I tried Organic Valley's cultured butter. Meh. Costco's butter. double meh. I don't know what the Amish are doin' to those cows but this is some of the best butter I've ever had. And my grandparents kept 3 milk cows when I was a kid. :)

3. shilohman

shilohman New Member

I am curious, why no problems. I too have always been very sensitive to caffeine .

4. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

I did the BPC this morning & didn't miss the HWC after all. Thanks! The BPC guy was an interesting read. The coffee would probably be even tastier if I could get better butter. We can't buy unpasterized butter or milk in Canada & there's not much access to it where I live. Crazy; I drank unpasterized milk the first 20 years of my life because my father was a small dairy farmer but he retired many years ago.

5. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

The last couple of days have been fairly good. Have still been craving something sweet after dinner this week & have been having dark chocolate. I think it's been 25 days since the last binge :)

BAB's have been huge the last two mornings, which seems to be the key right now.

BAB-3 eggs, lots of butter, almost 1/2lb bacon (can't stop if it's in front of me...YUM), protein drink & BPC on way to work

Lunch-2 eggs, more butter

Energy level--so so! Not feeling as good as when I started but it'll come back.

6. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Add some mushrooms and exter B complex to handle your detox and you will see your energy level improve.

7. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

I'm enjoying lots of mushrooms but will look into the B complex...thanks!

8. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I had read somewhere that espresso contains far less caffeine than brewed. As long as I drink the BPC with food I don't get any kind of caffeine buzz. Better coffee helps too.

Sorry to highjack your journal PaulaLynn!

9. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Heheh...that's ok Darleen!

10. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Ok...Feeling better today...that was a long week; must have been the sugar in that cheesecake from last Sunday!! SO not worth it! Didn't have major cravings last night & some of us know weekends are the worst!

Although I started this March 19th I haven't been strict with all the rules so I'm going to track those better, which will hopefully help figure out energy levels, moods, etc. Sometimes I end up snacking BUT it's with allowable food. However, the point is for the leptin rx to work so it's time to get serious...

BAB within 30 minutes of waking-yes, 50+grams of protein & BPC

Lunch-2 eggs, lots of butter, protein powder with water (I need to get rid of this or test to see what it does to sugar levels)

Dinner
    -will be rib steak, mushrooms, lots of butter & possibly kale if I figure out how to best prepare it (Katy??? :confused: )

Cold
    -didn't turn on heat all day & it's 65 degrees in the house; wearing t-shirt when I'd normally be in a wool sweater!

It's a beautiful day here and I was thinking about a walk but the last few walks ended with feeling hungry all evening with cravings (great way to rationalize lazy!)

Note to self--I feel real good today (repeating myself, I know!)! Do not repeat "just one bite"! It was such a long week.

11. I'm glad you are feeling good today!! :) I feel the exact opposite, it's been the worst day since I began! Low energy, nauseus, hungry!! i bought some dark chocolate but once home, decided not to have it. But its still in the house = danger!!! lol

For the kale, you simply sauté them in lots of CO, and you add some sea salt. Doesn't take long to cook, but has to be cooked enough to get rid of the bitter taste. Let me know if you liked it!! :)

12. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Feel good this morning. Didn't want to get up this morning though. Sat on cold packs last night for about an hour while watching a movie. Note from last night--finished dinner with too much dark chocolate & also mixed some coccoa with cocconut manna (damn whoever posted that idea...lol...it was good!)

BAB within 30 min-Yes--6 slices of bacon, 3oz left over steak, 2 eggs in butter & some protein in water, BPC coffee.

Lunch- Wasn't really hungry but I did have some protein in HWC & water

Dinner- Meatloaf, dark chocolate, also had some coccoa in melted CO

Cold-it's about 64 in the house today-will not be turning on the heat (can't afford to anyway with the price of oil..lol)

13. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Felt good this morning.

BAB within 30 min - Yes but drank BPC on the drive to work which means my meals aren't spread out as they should be. I wonder if this will matter?? I like to enjoy my coffee & would not like having to chug it down with BAB or while getting ready for work. It's so enjoyable to drink on my 25 min drive to work.

Mid-Morning/Lunch - 10:15 ate 2 boiled eggs with lots of butter

I've noticed my stomach is quite bloated. This is somewhat strange for me to be bloated considering the diet I'm following. I don't recall ever being bloated in the past when I was on low carb diets...hmmmm....CO?? I've been using CO since I started the Reset...Maybe the meatloaf...I did put bits of sliced apple in it but I've done that before. I think I'll skip the leftover meatloaf tonight.

14. GigiPatata

GigiPatata New Member

Hi paulalynn,

I hope your day is going well. I was just reading your journal because I'm in the same boat - these past few weeks have been horrendous - I've been falling off the wagon over and over. Not sure why since I was doing so well for a couple of months.

Anyway, for the next couple of days I am deliberately "cheating" by taking a spoon of coconut oil whenever I feel a bit hungry. I know that's not technically allowed since it is snacking but for the moment it's my strategy to avoid slipping. I had 52g protein this morning and I think it wasn't enough - I was already thinking about food at 11am.

I also wanted to mention (as a fellow Canadian) that I've been snacking on Maison Orphee coconut oil from Montreal- it is so creamy and delicious. I have a jar at work and I like it so much more than the Nutiva I have at home.

I like the idea from a previous poster about having ice packs on the drive to work - I commute by bus, so I won't likely be trying that, but for other drives on weekends I may consider it.

Cheers.

15. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

GigiPatata, make sure you have enough fat in the AM (work up to 2-4T CO slowly; use butter or otherwise until you can take that much CO), and then increase protein as needed. I needed 65g.

I absolutely cheated the same way you did early on. The mid-day CO is technically only recommended for those suffering from PCOS who see very low energy & mood when going very low carb, but I needed it to stave off the binges early on. I didn't take it just with hunger, but I took it when I knew I was about to break some big rule bad. I figured better to break it with a tablespoon of CO than blow it open with sweets or otherwise, or even with "regular food" - better to break it with something that would head off any further eating, and make a note to myself to have more fat and/or protein with that meal next time (since my body was telling me I needed it by the hunger).

16. Gigi, I'm from Montreal and looove the CO from Maison Orphée. And it smells so good too! I went to the US last week and bought some from Nutiva because it was cheaper, but it's not as good as Orphée.

It's was me talking about ice packs while driving. I do that whenever I use my car to go to work, it's really easy and it gives me at least 1 hour of CT thoses days.

And as MG said, make sure you eat enough in the morning! I do get between 60 and 70g protein every morning + CO. I have no cravings at all during the day, and I have a small lunch, and a small dinner as well.

Good luck with your journey, and come over here is you need support!!

17. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Wow, this has been a busy spot since I last stopped by...:)

Welcome!!! A lot of us can relate to your "horrendous" times. You did well for a couple of months, that's awesome!! Have a look at MamaGrok's journey & you'll see that things will get better. Her journey is an inspiration to so many! The next time might be a good three month stretch or four, etc, & one day everything will just click into place...at least that's what I'm hoping! :)

I definitely have to try the CO you girls speak of; sounds awesome. The first time I went to the health food store to get some CO (couldn't find it the grocery store) the lady rang it in & it was $26; I almost fell over...lol...it is organic, fair trade & tastes good but for that price I couldn't eat it a lot so I definitely have to find a place to order some other kind.

So GigiP, I think ABetterMe would agree, keeping a journal here is helping to "stay on the wagon"! There are days I'm not totally compliant with the "no snacking" rule either. MamaGrok's advise about the BAB was key for me these last couple of weeks & it's definitely helped me stay on track & keep the brain craving chatter manageable.

18. GigiPatata

GigiPatata New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I think you're right about the journal. I am a private person and very self-conscious but public accountability and a support group are probably the way to go.

Last night I had a small victory - I was craving "something" after dinner (for some reason that is my weak time), but I remembered MG saying she will only cheat with something she absolutely loves. I couldn't figure out what it was that I really loved at that moment, so I let it pass and was ok.

Today I had over 60g protein (eggs, bacon, roast pork) plus 2TB CO at breakfast (6am). By 10am I was thinking about food . . . had another TB CO. At 11am I caved and had a somewhat reasonable cheat: espresso coffee with whipped cream. I think it's my PMS that is causing the problems at the moment - my period is 3 days late and I'm feeling pretty crappy . . . Now I have to figure out what to have for lunch.

19. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I think what I was thinking of was it being early on in terms of winning. I mean, last summer I was several years into battling sugar addiction, but only at the beginning of actually succeeding. I think that's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Keep doing what you're doing; you're on the right path. Listen for your body (or soul) to tell you what tweaks to make in the days & months to come. You'll get there!

20. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Oh MamaGrok, I so hope that this is the beginning of success (I like that phrase!) for me.

Notes to self: I was thinking about it today and although I overate as a child and would sneak junk food :) the binges didn't really start until after university when I went to teach in a northern/isolated community. While praying to remain sane I think I ate because it was the one thing enjoyable about those 10 months. Of course that was almost 19 years ago so the overeating & binges continued with weight losses & gains. The real effort & research didn't start until I discovered Atkins about 8 years ago. Why am I analyzing this again??? Back to today....

BAB within 30 min-YES with coffee late on the drive to work

Lunch--2 eggs with lots of butter

Dinner--Chicken & protein powder mixed with HWC & water (not a well planned meal but I was starving)

Used ice pack on stomach again last night for an hour. It hasn't been very cold here this week so I've been using the A/C in the car but still not very cold. Slept well last night, although I eagerly await the day I wake without the alarm and want to get up!

Take home line from Dr. Kruse's blog today: "No middle of the road"!

When it comes to sugar, there is no middle ground or "in moderation". After years of binges and sugar addiction I don't think there will ever be a safe "just one bite"! Onward with the journey to success.....