1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

On Becoming a Doctor

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Casey Inman, Mar 16, 2014.

1. RobH

RobH Gold

And you have spare time to read.... 8^) ? Once you get through the required material I'd recommend start at at the beginning of Jack's blogs and working your way through them... That is a textbook in itself and will give you a totally different perspective!

RobH

Shijin13 likes this.
  2. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

recently experienced something very similar when a friend lost her baby at 37wks. baby was stillborn, but was revived after 25mins w/o o2 in the womb. baby was transferred to Children's. The neonatal neurologist, was hit very hard by this. 1) he felt the ObGYN could have prevented the outcome when mom arrived at the hospital for low fetal movements and 2) he knew the family personally. He was devastated. One of our friends who stayed with them at Children's over heard a NICUE nurse make the following comment to a brand new NICU nurse. "When you no longer are impacted by death of a patient (child or otherwise) its time to find a new job. "

I imagine that the deaths of any patient hits doc's hard. They're just as human as the rest of us.

4. RobH

RobH Gold

In my line of work you don't usually get to know the patient well enough when they arrive in extremis. It's the conversations with the families afterwards where I tear up.

In the few cases we see where everybody knows it's time to let go and we do our best (in a less than ideal environment) to make it a good death, even those are tough.

RobH

Lahelada and Shijin13 like this.
  5. BTA

BTA New Member

6. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Hi Dr. Kruse, I read the book last year. It is one of the reasons why I was hoping that there would be a book out there that would take into account the importance of water in biology.

I had been meaning to ask you this for a long time. I feel kind of lost right now and am not really sure what is the best way I should approach my studies. Because I have been exposed to your blog, I am aware that there are definitely things, important things, that are in medicine's blind spot. How should I go about this? I know I can't rely solely on whatever I am taught at uni and I will need to do extra things. I mean I can read your blogs. But I also don't feel 'satisfied'(?) or too good about myself if I am getting spoonfed with information all the time from you and the fact that you are always pointing out things in our blind spot. For example, if you never pointed out how light was so important to biology, I'd never even suspect that there was anything wrong with blue light at night. Sure, we get taught that radiation can damage DNA and cause cancer etc. But we were really only considering radiation like ionizing radiation etc, we weren't considering how other forms of visible light, infrared can affect the molecules in our bodies as well.

How do you start to see, for yourself, the things that were always in your blindspot without relying on others to point them out? Where does one even start? How do you draw conclusions? How do you decide what to focus on ( e.g. light as opposed to food)? What is important and what is not? I just know time is so precious and I feel that I am not using my time as effectively as I should.

Sorry I am not being very articulate right now. I am just looking for some guidance. When I look to my classmates, I can sense how stressed some of them are becoming and how overwhelmed they feel with exams, assignments, extra curriculars, work, volunteering, spending time with friends and family. And I feel that way too sometimes. I know there must be another way and a better way of getting through medical school while still taking good care of my health........ I want to do well and at the same time I don't want to sacrifice my health

7. Josh

Josh Gold

Doing well is not sacrificing the last few years of myelination in your brain. Did you ever explore meditation in any form? Start anoptimal health study group to recruit some comrades in the struggle. See Carolyn's GOHWell foundation on facebook to promote these ideas in AUSTRALIA. Be gentle with yourself.

Lahelada and Sammy like this.
  8. Sammy

Sammy New Member

I love this!

I did. I started a very basic qi gong exercise I learnt off youtube and was doing this every night for quite a while. But I stopped when a very experienced tui na masseuse from China told me that I shouldn't be practicising qi gong without the supervision of a sifu because it could really mess up with your qi if you don't know what you are doing and she has seen it happen before. Nowadays, after a long day of uni, I lie down on the grass in my backyard and just relax, watch the clouds, sky, trees, listen to the sounds,the feeling of the grass on my skin, the wind etc...this is how I practice mindfulness.

9. Josh

Josh Gold

Bruce Frantzis does a good job of describing the correct gradient for practice in this book. If you get into trouble, there are teachers in Australia. When in doubt, go slower, less is often more. Lying on the grass is good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Energy-Gates-Your-Body/dp/1583941460

Sammy likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Read what you must to do well........but always keep the wisdom your learning from physics and make sure it guides you. I wish I had this advice in residency.......I would have been a rockstar back then and could have affected so many more young minds. People tend not to listen to old NS...........unless I have power of your career. LOL

RobH, Sammy and Josh like this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The wisdom of the universe is crammed into you........remember it. They will teach you all disease manifest from genes and from within........what I have learned from physics is that all disease manifest from outside and our gene have to keep up temporally in time and in environments where the processes can't keep up temporally or spatially, diseases manifest. When faced with a challenging case they can't answer.......you'll know where to look. I do this all the time in the ICU and people are just like.......how did you know to look there? I say why would you where you do? Bad thinking.

No human being itself should be considered impaired innately, instead there are environmental short comings that cause the impairment. Thus, it is incumbent on the on the clinician to recommend treatment of the environment their patient is in. People react to an inferior environment.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Sammy, Inger, Shijin13 and 2 others like this.
  12. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Thank you for your words of wisdom Dr Kruse. I always like to listen to what "old NS" have to say! I mean it :)
    It's always about timing, environment and the laws of physics! I really need to make time to get the physics part down pat.

But there are definitely more and more clinicians and researchers that are emphasising the importance of the environment although they don't really know what exactly it is in the environment is affecting us so much.

Just wanted to share what my autoimmune lecturer showed with us last year which really hammers the point that our zip code can be as important as our genetic code, probably even more so!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7293/full/nature08990.html
    [​IMG]

Even though the twin girls had identical genomes, and identical epigenomes and trascriptomes in their CD4+ T cells......one had multiple sclerosis and the other didn't. To me, it implies that there there must be something else that is bigger than just the molecules......and that is the field in which the the molecules act.

Joe Gavin, caroline and Josh like this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Sammy! Please join us on FB ....GOHWell foundation

GOHWell Summit Melbourne 2016 ......Key note speakers .... Dr.Jack Kruse and Prof. Michael Crawford

we need thoughts, ideas ,suggestions and bums in seats to make this a world class conference!

Josh likes this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The difference is the frequency of the light that collided with their atoms........you'll understand that as the series goes on.

Joe Gavin likes this.
  15. Sammy

Sammy New Member

I finally found it: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GOHWell-Foundation/761341847298260
    For some reason I could not find it when Josh told me about it. Did you set this up Caroline? Love how the display picture is oysters hahah!
    But I didn't find anything about the GOHWell Summit Melbourne 2016.......I WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND!!

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Sammy! Roy Palmer [aquaculture without frontiers] got the FB going for us ....and he has been an awesome help/mentor to us on every painful detail.

Our webpage isn't ready yet ...and still finalising logos/design stuff.
    We will keep you posted ..... stay tuned!! :D

17. Christos

Christos New Member

Keep us posted Caroline Im very interested... might have to attend the GOHWell Summit Melbourne 2016 if its on... thanks... i liked the FB group

18. yonirv

yonirv New Member

A breath of fresh air. I too think the blah blah of 'the business side of medicine' is just egregiously misunderstanding the effect of arraying virtually thousands of bureaucrats against the essentially unaided lone doctor, who escapes the paperwork for oh say minutes at a time, to actually take care of people. As to the blah blah about "not knowing if the ACA will encourage the bottom up changes needed, and (get this) more physician leaders" is absurd. of course it will not. It cannot. It is and will keep on being top down. thanks.

19. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Happy First Day of Spring !

20. RobH

RobH Gold

Back at ya. Fall here! Chill in the air. Sunny morning ahead. Getting ready to hibernate.... love it.

RobH