1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Omega 3 supplementation

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Clabbergirl, Mar 15, 2012.

1. healthnut

healthnut New Member

In addition to omega 3 from F.O......Dr Larry McCleary (The Brain Trust Program) also speaks of focusing on plant forms of ALA omega 3 from foods like flax, chia, walnuts for brain health.

2. janagram

janagram New Member

there's no way I can wrap my brain around this issue....I tried following Barry Sears' formula and ended up being the rare "anomaly" (accoding to him) who reacts badly to the influx of EPA....I got arachadonic acid symptoms, bad nails, hair skin, constipation, etc.....so dropped the oils....may try Dr. Kane's oil.......help!

3. I did this test and just got the results back. For timing if any wants to know, I mailed the test out on 3/4 and just received the results back today. So it takes about three weeks. FWIW, my results are 3:1. I expected much worse because the CT is still really cold for me.

Now I need to go back and re-read this thread to understand the other four pages of the results!

4. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Probably comes down to genetics! If it didn't work, it is obviously not for you. All you can do is keep experimenting and tracking to find out what will work best for you. I am an Apo E/4 E/4 and a hyperabsorber of fats according to genetic testing. We are all uniquely different, what works well in one may be poison for another.

5. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

PattyCakes, when you say your ratio is 3:1, is it LA:ALA or O6:O3?

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

7. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Here is some info about krill oil. So it looks like if you have a good ratio that krill oil would be the way to supplement.

A krill, in profile

Krill oil, like fish oil, contains both of the omega-3 fats eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA), but hooked together in a different form. In fish oil these omega-3 fatty acids are found in the triglyceride form whereas in krill oil they are hooked up in a double chain phospholipid structure. (The fats in our own cell walls are in the phospholipid form.) Attached to the EPA leg of the phospholipid is a molecule of astaxanthin, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. The phospholipid structure of the EPA and DHA in krill oil makes them much more absorbable and allows for a much easier entrance into the mitochondria and the cellular nucleus. In addition to EPA and DHA krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier.

Krill oil contains vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D and canthaxanthin, which is, like astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant potency of krill oil is such that when compared to fish oil in tems of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorptance capacity) values it was found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil.

The astaxanthin found in krill oil provides excellent protection against ultravoilet light and UV-induced skin damage. It was for this reason that I started taking krill oil to begin with–I only discovered its other virtues later on.