1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Omega 3 supplementation

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Clabbergirl, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

after re-reading just now - with the context of the CT series - it makes WAY MORE SENSE NOW!

Ok... so If I'm eating in season, my O6 should be coming from the meat, veggies & Dairy(If tolerant) that I eat, same w/the O3. And supplementation should not be required, especially if your O6:O3 ratios are

2. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Shijin~ Do you know if you are oxidizing? That would have a direct affect on arterial health. There are lipid peroxidation tests out there now. Health Diagnostic Labs has sophisticated, cutting edge labs: http://www.hdlabinc.com/ Genova Labs NutrEval also tests for lipid peroxidation.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

healthnut;5866 wrote: Not sure if that download was readable. Here are the numbers:

Omega 3 Fatty Acids:

ALA- 0.16 ref > 0.09

EPA- 1.36 ref > .16

DPA- 2.37 ref > 1.14

DHA- 7.5 ref > 2.1

%Omega 3's- 11.4 ref> 3.8

Omega 9 fatty acids:

Oleic-9 ref 10-13

Nervonic 2.9 ref 2.1-3.5

%Omega 9's-12.4 ref 13.3-16.6

Saturated Fatty Acids
    :

Palmitic-23 ref 18-23

Stearic-18 ref 14-17

Arachidic- .19 ref .22-.35

Behenic- .92
    ref .92-1.68

Tricosanoic- .23
    ref .12-.18

Lignoceric- 2.8
    ref 2.1-3.8

Pentadecanoic- .10
    ref .07-.15

Margaric- .22
    ref .22-.37

%Saturated Fat-46
    ref 39.8-43.6

Omega 6 Fatty Acids:

Linoleic- 10.2
    ref 10.5-16.9

GLA- 0.7
    ref .03-.13

DGLA- 1.23
    ref >1.19

Arachidonic-16
    ref 15-21=================

Docosatetraenoic- 1.26
    ref .1.5-4.2

Eicosadienoic- .13
    ref

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

hummm...may have to do this....

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Dr Kruse

Here:

BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil

http://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs/BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil.pdf

It states that the required ratio is about (parent oils) LA/ALA(4:1)

You are lumping all O6's and all O3's and then are making ratio.

They are two different requirements.

What you are saying is correct and should be complied with.

They are two simultaneous equations.

But,

indiscriminate supplementation with EPA & DHA destroys dr Kane's requirement.

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I would appreciate if someone posted link to this calculator, thank you very much.

//

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

8. L8F

L8F New Member

The "calculator" is a table in Robb Wolf's book if I remember correctly. I think it gives ranges of supplementation, I can't remember the different categories though. I loaned the book out, so I don't have it here to look.

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

If dr Kruse still trusts dr Kane's expertise, and buy's what is written here:

http://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs/BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil.pdf

he will make "friends" in a whole fish/krill oil industry and some books will have to be revised.

It would also help if laboratories testing Fatty acids put into consideration that LA/ALA ratio in their reporting.

Mine are just electrons dr Kruse's words carry weight.

The whole USA probably desperately need all of 2-3 gallons of fish/krill oil or something of few magnitudes range less then what is consumed now.

Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I would like to know and probably also dr Kruse, is:

when, the date, when this BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil was first posted.

I bet some Google expert can find this out.

===================================

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jansz if you come to my office Krill Oil is the most Rx thing I write for.

11. Dextery

Dextery New Member

Kiwi, You can get a mail order blood testing kit from this company. http://www.omega3test.com/ Send Doug an email directly requesting the kit since you are in NZ. Tell him you are ordering off the Slanker's Grass Fed Beef promo for $99.

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you my results so you can see what all they do. They email your results as a PDF.

For pretty good information http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com Look at the Omega 3 Essays. Ted Slanker, owner of the place is known as an all around good guy in the grassfedbeef industry.

12. Dextery

Dextery New Member

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

14. healthnut

healthnut New Member

I didn't see that they distinguished either. From what I understant....the triglyceride form is what is found naturally in fish oil that has not undergone the mollecular microdistillation process.

15. Dextery

Dextery New Member

This from the bottle of Life Line

"Most commercially available fish oils have rather mysterious origins. This is because many of them begin as a low grade by-product of rendering plants, requiring excessive processing before they are fit for human consumption. This process results in fish oil that is anything but natural. While molecular distillation is often advertised as a plus, and indeed does reduce contaminants, some researchers believe it also denatures the oil and lowers its beneficial value."

"In contrast, Life Line wild salmon oil is 100% natural. It is produced in a dedicated processing facility in Alaska from freshly caught, sustainably harvested salmon utilizing a “cold” extraction method that ensures the viability of our oil. Immediately after extraction natural mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E) are added to maintain freshness. The oil is immediately deep chilled and stored in airtight, lightproof containers until filtered and bottled. This thorough filtration process results in a pure, unadulterated extra virgin salmon oil rich in health-promoting omega-3s as well as a naturally balanced “formula” of over 30 other distinct fatty acid molecules."

16. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Thanks Dex. Kewl....so it is not the ethyl ester form.

17. healthnut

healthnut New Member

Thanks for your input JanSz. There are so many mixed ideas on 06:03 ratio.....gets confusing! Who are you supposed to believe? I had to ponder your post for a while ....just to let it all sink in!

So, let's see if I got this right....

The ratio of linoleic (10.2) to alpha linoleic acid (0.16) needs to be a LOT lower. How is this accomplished. That would mean somehow upping the levels of ALA and lowering linoleic & lowering fish oil further? High levels of DHA/EPA casue ALA supression-yikes. I learn something new every day on this forum! I'm not sure how DHA/EPA levels got exagerated since I have already reduced fish oil down to two krill oil caps per day. I avoid most overly abundant sources of omega 6 except for 2 borage oils caps per day.

I have not read up much on arachidonic acid, I hope to read over the links you posted. Times have changed somewhat.... thinking back to Barry Sears info on AA.

Thanks for the info and your knowledgable contributions!

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'm still pondering this too, Healthnut. After reading Dr Kane's work (well, some of it anyway) it seems as if supplementation of DHA/EPA suppress the O6 and do not address the ALA issue. And Dr K says Dr Kane is correct. Dr Kane seems to recommend a 4:1 ratio of flax to sunflower seed oil and then says to get the rest from your diet (meat, good fat, eggs) and also to supplement with fish oil if needed. But how that all works is still a bit of a brain-struggle for me. I'm wondering if the flax oil somehow improves its conversion in the body when paired with the sunflower oil? That there is some synergistic effect here of a correct balance upon intake. And then when we tinker with just one aspect we create 'good' news on one front while creating problematic news on another. Yikes!

19. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks, Dex, for the info (I can't get my 'reply with quote' function to work today). I have been taking the fresh salmon oil but am now thoroughly confused. I live in NZ, however... are you saying I can get the testing you rec regardless?

20. Dextery

Dextery New Member

The test is received in the mail and you mail it back. It involves you sticking your finger and dripping a blood splot on a card. I don't see why you can't do it from NZ. Send an email to Doug Bilbus at doug@lipidlab.com He owns lipidlab.