1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Omega 3/6 ratio

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Arborescence, Apr 26, 2015.

1. If one eats a lot of DHA (like 3g/day) but even more omega 6 (like 30/day), the ratio would be 1/10 which is not optimal for health, but is it acting like that in the cells and in the cell membranes?
    I mean, would not the omega 3 be used in priority by the body?

How are the nutrients transported, absorbed and used in the body, is all this based on electromagnetic reactions, redox potential, inflammation (ROS) and circadians clock?

Thanks!

vangirl likes this.
  2. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Where do you get your Omega-6 from? Processed foods? You can swap out the bad oil for good oil and avoid processed foods.

[​IMG]

In Brain Gut 13 Jack Says

Another interesting factor is the requirement that each organ of the body has for omega 6 and 3 fatty acids. I decided to look into this issue more several years ago when I was researching how to reengineer my own health best. I had always been taught to believe that the brain had a larger DHA omega 3 component than an omega 6 level and it turned out I was dead wrong. The brain makes up 2-3% of our body weight (BW) but has a 100 to 1 ratio of 06 to 03 within it normally. It appears the 0mega 6 to omega 3 ratios and their relationship to phosphotidyl choline and phosphotidyl serine ratios are most critical for cell membrane signaling of environmental signals to our brain. The amount of these moities in the brain is totally tied to the biochemistry of calcium efflux and calmodulin function. These function is completely tied to the electromagnetic field of the sun and Earth at the time child forms in utero. The omega 6/3 ratio is critical for protein confirmational bending in the lipid membrane structure after proteins are made in the brain. This single insight made me realize that mammals do something special with their omega 3’s and 0mega 6′s for some environmental reason.

It appears in certain diseases of the brain, the ratio’s gets dramatically altered, and may actually be a good biomarker for us to use diagnosis and prognosis in neurodegenerative disorders and epigenetic diseases. Skin makes up 4% of our Body Weight and has 1000 to 1 ratio of O6 to O3 normally. Skeletal muscle makes up 50% of our Body Weight and sets its O6/3 ratio at a 6 to 1. Our internal organs, make up 9% of our BW have the lowest ratios at 4 to 1. Adipose tissue sits at 22 to 1 ratio and makes up 15-35% of our total BW depending upon how fat or thin we are. The trend is the lower the metabolic rate of the tissue the lower the amount of DHA is present. It appears metabolic rates are highly dependent upon the DHA in the tissue. Why Is that?

read the rest of that blog and http://www.jackkruse.com/is-fish-oil-good-or-bad/

Dean6789, vangirl and rlee314 like this.
  3. Thanks Paul!

No, I get it from seeds and nuts (I don't eat any processed food), as I am not eating red meat at the moment and no shellfish (just salmon) I am trying to eat some pumpkin and sunflower seeds to get some transitional metals but I am getting a lot of omega 6 with it ... I am getting a lot of omega 9 too, I wonder if it matters.

I really need to finish this serie (brain gut) there are so much articles out there and my brain is so foggy (ADHD and adrenal fatigue), plus I'm not english and discovered Jack only 2 weeks ago :)! I have a lot to discover and re-read to understand everything well.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@PaulG (or anybody else)
    Possibly you can clarify for me.
    in: Is Fish Oil Good Or Bad?
    http://www.jackkruse.com/is-fish-oil-good-or-bad/
    Jack suggest:
    The key point is that we should strive for a diet that limits omega six consumption to the appropriate ratios for human optimization based upon an ancestral biochemistry. This ratio is 2 to 1 to 6 to 1 by most good studies I have read. So when you begin your own trek to get healthy and optimized I would strongly suggest you get your own omega 6/3 ratio drawn so you can see how far your past diet led you astray from what should be ideal………if that number is greater than 6 to 1 and you have active chronic inflammatory markers that are elevated, then your first move should be to bring down the omega 6 content of your diet and increase the dietary consumption of omega 3’s before you supplement with fish oil!
    ==============
    My question:
    How to do it properly?
    There is missing information about what is proper level of individual fat.
    Possibly you can help with this detail.

Each type of fat is a combination of variety of fats.
    In Omega6 I may have great defficiency of AA and excess of all other O6, in total I will have a lot of O6.
    Same with O3 about DHA
    Specifically I have 3x more EPA, I doubt that this is ok.

I did little study on this subject.
    I have made assumption that the ideal fat level is when it is in the middle of its laboratory range.
    I used two good laboratories, Mayo Clinic and Kennedy Krieger Institute.
    Surprise, I got two greatly different results.

Mayo O6/O3=11.9
    Krieger O6/O3=5.8

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Dean6789, Joann and Arborescence like this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold