1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Oil Pulling

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by AKMan, Apr 10, 2012.

1. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Question for Jack.

Last summer you talked about 'oil pulling' in one of your blogs. Oil pulling is an ancient Indian Ayurvedic technique involving the swishing of sesame oil in your mouth that is said to have miraculous detox properties and is extremely healthful. Modern science has completely poo-poo'd this technique as completely useless. Recent studies show it actually does have many benefits to oral hygiene, transcending the anti-bacterial properties of the oil itself.

My thoughts are that since there are leptin receptors in the mouth, maybe flooding them with oil for 20 minutes a day does something special. Maybe the detox theory is actually leptin signalling.

I have been oil pulling daily with sesame oil for almost 6 months. My dentists was amazed at the reduction of the pockets in my gums and the cleanliness of my teeth. So, for that use alone, I will keep doing it.

Could you give us your take on Oil Pulling, Jack?

From Wikipedia:

Oil pulling or oil swishing, in alternative medicine, is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil in the mouth for claimed oral and systemic health benefits. It is mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita where it is called Kavala Gandoosha / Kavala Graha.[1] It is also used to reduce enamel wear from stomach acid from vomiting.[citation needed] According to one study on "the effect of oil-pulling on the reduction of total count of bacteria": "there was a remarkable reduction in the total count of bacteria.[2] The process of oil-pulling reduced the susceptibility of a host to dental caries."[3]

In a controlled study the effect of pulling sesame oil was found to be equivalent to the mouthwash chlorhexidine in its reduction of dental plaque and modified gingival index scores.

Procedure

The practitioner rinses the mouth with approximately one tablespoon of oil (sesame and sunflower oils are the most recommended) for 15–20 minutes on an empty stomach (before eating/drinking) then spits it out.[5]

This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. First, the oil is put in the mouth, with chin tilted up, and slowly swished, sucked, chomped and pulled through the teeth. Then, the oil changes from yellow and oily consistency to a thick viscous consistency. A second round of oil pulling may be done with fresh oil for further cleansing. The oral cavity is then thoroughly rinsed and washed with normal tap water and fingers or tooth brush. This procedure is typically performed daily.

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Akman,

I have friends who swear by it.

However, they use coconut oil.

I tried it...couldn't even do five minutes! I realize one has to build up to 20 minutes.

Should I not have posted here?

Is this only for a question for Jack, and his answer?

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

How incredibly interesting! Can you move this somewhere else so we can learn more?

4. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

I also oil pull with CO. I typically do it as I prepare my BAB. My teeth feel super clean afterward! I love it!

5. Jim

Jim New Member

I have got to get back to doing it regularly. I do it with CO and it works great. I learned about it first from Dr Bruce Fife. I believe it was a Jimmy Moore podcast.

6. shilohman

shilohman New Member

I always wondered why people I have known from India always had very white teeth.

7. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Jack has commented on oil pulling on the teeth blog I do believe! One one posted a q and he answered it. If I find it I'll post jacks reply here.

8. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I don't oil pull, never tried, but I have white teeth (and I'm Indian). Maybe our teeth look whiter against our dark skin. LOL

zohar likes this.
  9. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im OK with it and it is one of the reasons CO is in my optimal coffee recipe.

zohar likes this.