1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Oh no, not another deuterium thread!

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Apteryx, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Apteryx

Apteryx New Member

Okay, so I am posting this to get a slightly different discussion going about deuterium - from an angle that, so far, I have not really come across enough to be able to form a more complete picture ...

It is the angle of lipid peroxidation and deuterium reinforcement

This may possibly add another interesting layer of subtlety to the the dynamics of deuterium in biological systems. The aim of my reading at the very moment is really just to tease out a few more details about what deuterium is doing exactly - the intention is far from contradicting the general estimation for most people today to prudently aim to lower it.

Small Amounts of Isotope-reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Suppress Lipid Autoxidation - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437768/

An interesting part I reckon worth highlighting:
    "However, a major concern regarding the use of D-PUFAs as therapeutic agents has been that crucial enzymatic reactions involving PUFAs (e.g. lipoxygenase), are likely to be compromised due to large KIEs. The results presented here suggest that the inhibition of detrimental autoxidation can be achieved by employing relatively small amounts of D-PUFAs, so that most of the PUFAs will be in non-deuterated form, compatible with the enzymatic transformations" [emphasis mine]​

By the way, KIE = Kinetic Isotope Effects.
    So small amounts of deuteration in cell membrane PUFA content has bearing on the attenuation of rates of oxidation there ...

I'm still interested to read more regarding the metabolic reactions that lead to the non-uniform distribution of deuterium in different parts of the body.

Another interesting look at deuterium gradients ... TL;DR - oral fluid >> blood plasma > human breast milk.
    Determination of Deuterium Concentration in Biological Fluids by NMR Spectroscopy - Dzhimak et al. https://iicbe.org/upload/8074C0915054.pdf

Any suggestions for more reading would be much appreciated.
    Happy reading,

John Schumacher and Sean Waters like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Fatty acid synthesis, metabolism, and deuterium — The enzymes that synthesize fatty acids incorporate hydrogen that is carried by NADPH. That hydrogen comes from food stuffs in the protium isotopic form. Lipoxygenase is a protein expressed during conditions of stress, and it has the greatest ability to select protons over deuterons of any protein in humans. It is critical in lipid peroxidation of cell membranes where PUFAs lurk.

Lipoxygenases are a family of (non-heme) iron-containing enzymes which catalyze the dioxygenation of polyunsaturated fatty acids in lipids containing a cis,cis-1,4- pentadiene into cell signaling agents that serve diverse roles as autocrine signals that regulate the function of their parent cells, parent mitochondria and generate paracrine signals that regulate the function of nearby cells. This also changes the neuroendocrine signals in the gut to regulate the function of distant cells.