1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

OCD Advice

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by jenn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jenn

jenn New Member

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone here has had any experience with OCD and knows of any specific lifestyle interventions that might help. My 13-year-old son was recently diagnosed (he was also diagnosed with ADHD at age 6) and is really struggling with the obsessive thoughts and constant hand washing. I reluctantly agreed to try Zoloft, and then Prozac, but the side effects were almost worse than the OCD and in any case they did little to help. The only treatment I know of, besides drugs, is cognitive behavior therapy, but he is either unable or unwilling to follow through with it despite having an excellent therapist.

He uses blue blockers/amber lights at night (with some grousing) and has an 8:30 bedtime (up at 5:30am school days). He eats a fair amount of fish (but little shellfish except in clam chowder), but also some grains/wheat, mostly when we go out to eat. He tried gluten-free for a couple of weeks with no obvious benefit (would have been longer, but I was under considerable pressure from him and hubby to relent). He dislikes vegetables and favors starchy foods, dairy, and modest amounts of protein foods, like fish and bacon. He moves around a lot but does not exercise/do sports. Body comp not fat but a little “soft.â€￾ I have not even broached the topic of CT yet, as I am sure it will meet with resistance….did I mention he was 13?:p

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences? Is there a particular blog of Jack’s that might lend some insight into the brain chemistry behind OCD and other anxiety disorders? (maybe the Tourettes one, or the Leaky Gut Rx?) Any tests for allergens, hormones, etc., I should consider? I might add that my hubby is not fully on board with the changes I’ve been trying, so if you have any cites that back up your recommendations, by all means share! Thank you for any advice you might have.

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Jenn,

Is your son on meds for ADHD? From my experience with one of my children ADHD meds increase anxiety and thus OCD.

My other advice would be to test for allergies and celiac (esp. dairy and wheat) and to really limit sugar.

And exercise daily is really important for anyone with depression or anxiety. He doesn't have to spend an hour in the gym, walking or riding a bike will do. He needs to move!

3. jenn

jenn New Member

Hi indigogirl,

Not on ADD meds right now. Earlier this year we tried a course of Intuniv (non-stimulant), shortly after which the OCD symptoms began. They went away after stopping the med, then resumed a couple weeks later. The psychiatrist says there is no connection between Intuniv and OCD, but I'm not so sure.... On one Intuniv forum board I read that Intuniv works by increasing glutamate to the brain, but that in persons sensitive to it (i.e. those with gluten or casein sensitivities) it can precipitate OCD symptoms. But I have no way of assessing the credibility of this claim.

You are totally right about the exercise! I think I know some of the things I ought to be doing with him...but need a push to go with my instincts. Thank you very much for your advice!

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Dr Kalish treats ADD/ADHD with neurotransmitter support. He says he gives tyrosine in his office to patients that cannot focus and it works within 20-30min to help them through the appointment. Not sure about the OCD but sounds like he might be able to help with that as well.....

http://www.kalishresearch.com/

He is great with answering email inquiries :)

5. jenn

jenn New Member

Thank you, Souldanzer! I'll check him out. I'm betting OCD and ADHD have common neurotransmitter issues at their core....I've read dopamine is involved with both...

6. Momma28

Momma28 New Member

Hi Jenn,

I find that behavior worsens with the consumption of dairy and grain. My heart goes out to you because I know how hard it is to limit foods once they get into their teens. Your best route is going to be getting him on your team. Try the website MY Aspergers Child for tips. It is $19, I think, and the man was a therapist for teens and then set up the website to help more families. He has a son on the spectrum. His info is good but applied to older children like your son. I got it for help with a two year old on the spectrum.

If he has gluten sensitivity he may also have B12 defficiency because the intestine will be damaged and may not pick it up from food. I apply B12 patches by Vie that I get from Amazon. I also supplement D3 and iodine in the form of Lugol's and they all eat Paleo. They get one cheat on Sunday afternoon for a dessert. There are great recipes on Chocolate Covered Katie and The Spunky Coconut that are dairy/gluten/sugar free. Hope this helps. Remember, you're the only one that's going to do this for him. Let's pray he'll be able to thank you later.

7. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

Jenn, I had a very close relative suffer with this. The SSRI's were horrible - side effects terrible.

What seemed to work in the end was taking several mindfulness classes for this person. I would also be very tempted to try out cold thermogenesis. Check out this article:

http://www.thisviewoflife.com/index.php/magazine/articles/take-a-cold-shower

After reading through several pubmed papers, I'm of the opinion that once we start losing our BAT and their adrenergic receptors that norepinephrine may malfunction and cause anxiety problems. It is just wild idea at this point, but I think it could work or has potential.

8. There is a recent podcast with Kalish on underground wellness, had some stuff that applies!

9. jenn

jenn New Member

Momma28,

I think you're right about the dairy and grains. My son was colicky as an infant due to a milk-protein intolerance (via my breastmilk), and it could very well be that casein is still problematic and manifesting in the form of ADHD and OCD. I've been considering the EnteroLab stool test for various allergens to try to clarify the picture....they claim to be more accurate than blood tests.

10. jenn

jenn New Member

villjamur_stevenson,

Yeah, the SSRIs gave my son sleep problems and complete brain fog, and didn't even take the edge off his anxiety. I'm glad I stopped them before they caused any lasting problems.

I like the idea of CT (and practice it myself; I squish into a 40 gallon outdoor stock tank every morning before work -- this morning 50 degrees F -- and use ice packs at night), but I have the grit to do it and think it will be a hard sell for my son....but then many worthwhile things are hard, at least initially.

I'm considering pushing him to try meditation, which I know Jack practices and recommends...but with the ADHD it would have to be a "walking meditation" as he gets squirrelly if he has to sit still for any length of time. I appreciate your suggestions!

11. jenn

jenn New Member

Cavemam,

I like Sean Croxton and will definitely check out the podcast, thank you!

12. jenn

jenn New Member

To everyone who has replied with their suggestions and experiences so far, thank you so much! Sometimes it feels as though I'm all alone in this, struggling to help my son, and it is encouraging to come here and know that others are willing to help.

13. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

We got our kids an inflatable water slide that runs on tap water. They love it and will play in that thing for hours.

We use our tap water - 53 F. They've been doing CT all summer, and didn't even realize it.

Corey Nelson likes this.
  14. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Jenn, in terms of meditation you can download meditations ( go to the Chopra center website or google)...instrumental, chants, guided meditations.

When my son was a young teenager these were easier for him than just sitting with his thoughts.

I would also talk him through progressive relaxation.