1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Occasional CT time off + caffeine question

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Corey Nelson, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson Cultivating Patience

Background: all year I've done 2-5 CT sessions each week, most being in 50-55f water with 30lb bagged ice for 45-60+ minutes. I don't always love it but I know I'm quite cold adapted and sometimes I don't shiver at all and feel hot during the session. It's awesome!

Occasionally I feel like taking some time off (going a week with 0-1 sessions), mostly when it's been a stressful week and I'd end up missing some needed rest time or altering my schedule. I think I've done this twice and other times I've gritted through.

The question: for long time CT users have you found any rules of thumb for this? I know I don't lose my adaptation in that period gauging by physical response but I'm curious if anyone can share their own attitude towards how they view time off. And if you take time off at any particular time of year, for what reasons, and whether you found a limit for retaining adaptation. Anything relevant to this line of thought would be cool. I gather that less time off is better and some mini sessions can be helpful during travel. Is there any situation where time off is considered beneficial?

As a bonus unrelated off topic question that probably doesn't deserve its own thread: how often do you other strict adherents to Kruse protocols consume caffeine? I am definitely no longer psychologically or physically addicted to it but have found it's fun for recreational and cultural reasons about one to two times per month (1-3 cups of strong coffee or tea) , and never out of any feeling of necessity (not to be more productive or combat fatigue).

Thanks in advance.

2. kris90

kris90 New Member

In my experience, it's like muscle memory. The adaptation sticks. As long as you don't use fake light at night and have a good circadian rhythm, you are designed to use BAT to burn off excess calories as heat every night when the leptin receptor is activated. Cold adapted or not, it seems BAT is an important type of metabolic tissue to regulate our weight year round. We probably just express it more when we live in the cold.

3. Corey Nelson

Corey Nelson Cultivating Patience

Thanks Kris!

kris90 likes this.