1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nut butter cravings

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Eve, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Eve

Eve New Member

I have a leaky gut and I constantly battle cravings for nut butter, knowing that it's a no-no on LeakyGut Rx.

I especially get cravings for it when I'm reacting to a food/supplement (due to leaky gut) or going through a detox. Today in the afternoon my cravings for it were so bad I could have teared up if I pushed it...pretty sad, eh? lol. I think it's also b/c I'm really sick of eating an extremely plain diet -- few veggies, meat, and fish -- for so long.

To try and get rid of the craving, for dinner I had tons of coconut oil with meat, 2 salmon fillets, and broc with coconut oil...It kind of worked but not really.

What's interesting is a couple of weeks ago, I caved and finished about 1/2 small jar of organic almond butter and afterward, I felt a sense of relief and good energy. I wonder if it's b/c almond butter is rich in Mg and other vitamins....?

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I was hooked on almond butter and finally had to quit it cold turkey when I learned I had a huge inflammation issues (high hsCRP). That probably wasn't due entirely to PUFAs but I know they didn't help. I think I was craving it for the sweet taste - I've had a lifelong sugar addiction. I know how hard it is to give up, especially when you are feeling like you have given up so many other foods you're accustomed to.

3. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

+1.

I, too, have had a lifelong sugar addiction, and the nut butter fulfilled the creamy, sweet taste when I had given up so much. I just had to say no, and stop buying it. I do eat a couple of spoonfuls of Nutiva CO Manna now instead, but I always eat it as part of a meal, since I no longer snack. See, that was the other problem I had with the nut butter: I'd stick a spoon in the jar several times a day. So now, I have about 2 tbsp. of CO Manna as my "dessert", so I don't "get" to have it till it's dinnertime. Still fulfills that creamy texture sort-of-sweet thing, but way more controlled.

4. janagram

janagram New Member

I too am a sufferer of nutbutter cravings....is the oil all that bad?

5. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Nuts are the only dietary challenge I have yet to master. Love almond butter spoons rolled in grated coconut. My strategy has been to buy smaller jars. This actually helps.

6. what is it about that damn almond butter that makes it taste so sweet and delish? I like dipping the 99% chocolate in it. I quit buying :(

7. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

OMG! Here's the greatest thing: peanut butter with sardines. That's kinda good right???

I travel with the small squeeze pkgs of Justins Nut Butter and cans of sardines. Delish!

8. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'd just end up buying more jars :D. I have no cravings for it now that I don't eat it at all (almost 7 months now) but I'm sure they'd come back the minute I ate a spoonful.

9. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I used to have such a love affair with nut butters! A spoonful of almond butter was like reading a trashy novel . . . total lust! I haven't had so much as a lick of a spoon for over a year now and honestly don't crave it. I did finally break down last week and have a taste of coconut butter and I was shocked that I could stop at a little taste. That NEVER happened for me before. I hate to admit it, but I could finish entire jars in the past.

10. janagram

janagram New Member

well, this is just a coincidence but I had several (that's pretty flexible, right?) spoonfuls of almond butter today, with lots of sea salt......get that stuff out the house!!!

11. Jennymartin

Jennymartin New Member

I have leaky gut.. Struggling with it for around 6-8 months and i Crave Maranatha's organic sugar free creamy peanut and almond butter.. Maybe it is related to the leaky gut. Never had these cravings before.. But before knowing I had leaky gut (and that I should avoid it) I was going through 1/2 jar a day!

12. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

That stuff is sooo good! I can't come near any nuts either though.

13. Hello! I am a newbie to this and wondered...where is the info that says no nut butter? I thought nuts were OK? My nut butter is raw walnut butter with a little of cashew, all organic. No other ingredients. Would love to hear!

Thanks!

14. It's all about context on if it's a good idea or not for you. Many factors to consider:

Your omega ratios

Your adrenal/thyroid status

Do you tend to eating disorders

Are you over snacking on them

Is your gut leaking

Many people CAN eat them, but this forum is probably skewed to those that have something wrong, thus you get that statement more often.

I think those that get closer to optimal, end up not on here trying to "figure stuff out" as much.

Are you trying

15. Thanks, Cavemam. Appreciate the input. Interestingly, I have been healing from a leaky gut and my nutritionist who works with my functional MD never said this. I used to be addicted to almond butter (even the good stuff) but then got tired of it (i used to eat a ton!) a few months ago. Fascinating. I wonder if it means my gut is healing, finally....I haven't been craving carbs in a while.

SO much to learn and absorb....so thankful I found this!

16. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

For myself, when I eat nuts I bloat up 3 pounds of water weight within 24 hours and hold for a few days. If I eat the nuts (or other offending food in the that time), I bloat up further, and hold longer. It's a really, really fast way for me to gain weight. The math is so miserable that it keeps me completely on track with the diet.

17. Marccus

Marccus New Member

well i love almonds butter so much , i eat it daily and still continue with this , it is really delicious

18. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I stopped buying it after this post. Almost two months and I am ok. I have been eating a few brazils and macadamias daily.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I am wary of any plant product that I crave. I don't trust plants.

They have 'done me wrong' for too long.

20. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Amen to that! It's the strangest feeling to just walk right on by the veggie section at the farmer's markets, but except for lettuce and a few other mild greens, I'm not willing or able to eat plants right now.