1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Northeastern Winter Sunlight Protocols?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Mark Osinski, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mark Osinski

Mark Osinski New Member

Would anybody be so kind as to point me in the right direction...

We are in a weather pattern in Boston this fall where it rains more often that it is sunny. We are also approaching the very short days of daylight standard time where daylight of any sort will be limited. I am not asking for advice to move locations or take a vacation to Mexico here, but rather asking if we should still go outside for the sunrise, barefoot, for morning light or if that is futile for the next few months? Any advice as to what is recommended is appreciated.

MarkO

2. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Yes it’s still advised since a certain amount of UV still comes through the clouds. I’m far less motivated when the sun is hiding but I do go out. On the nastiest days it may not be long, but it’s still important for the body to register the changing color temperature throughout the day. I’m still a bit confused about the benefits of just being near a window, but that’s what I try to do when not outside.

Mark Osinski likes this.
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

You have to remember your eye has a dual function: eye camera and eye clock. The eye camera works on visible light while the eye clock works mostly on the non-visible spectrum. Therefore the frequencies you CANNOT see are the frequencies your eye clock uses to function.

That means that while your brain is not perceiving a lot of visible light, every mitochondria in your body is still sensing the light environment that you cannot visually perceive. So you must get out every morning to absorb the AM frequencies, sunny, rainy, cloudy or snowy.

Jason Yun and Mark Osinski like this.
  4. Mark Osinski

Mark Osinski New Member

Just to clarify - I was under the impression that UVB is not available at all in Boston during the winter months. I am not sure if this is the same for UVA? Therefore, what I think you are saying is we should still try to get that morning sunlight (red/blue) as much as possible regardless of the clouds or very short days?

Thanks. Mark

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Lets put it this way.
    The restaurant crew in Chicago's restaurant,
    did not knew anything about anything,
    in retrospect they were guinea pigs.
    The whole crew was (fully dress), healthy, (in the basement), newer sick for over 20 years.
    Variety of working time, so no particular timing.
    That was attributed to a black light that was a part of decoration in that place.
    The place was mostly dim.
    Black light=UVa
    --------------------------------------
    So anything on either side of UVa is a gravy.

Think that we might have came from (under) Proto-Saturn, (not that long ago). (So add IR).

[​IMG]
    ===============================
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQ47Q8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    UV Light Black Light, HouLight High Power 50W Ultra Violet UV LED Flood Light IP65-Waterproof (85V-265V AC)
    wavelength: 385-400nm, UVA level.

[​IMG]
    ==============================

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-11#post-176659

"Well of the Sea," in the basement of the Hotel Sherman in Chicago.

================================

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Scott Hardin likes this.
  6. Mark Osinski

Mark Osinski New Member

Ahhhh. Something I was curious about was whether a "LED" UV bulb would be equivalent to what they would have used in the restaurant back then.

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am not really sure so I use all three.
    ----------------------
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MQSR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    American Dj Black 48 Blb 4Ft Blacklight Tube And Fixture
    UV Lamp Wavelength: 365nm.

I do not see this light.
    ----------------------

[​IMG]

Sperti Fiji SUN Table Top Tanning Lamp
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ID8P78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see very well when this one works.
    ------------------------------------------

//

Sheddie likes this.
  8. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes. I suggest reading the CT series, particularly CT 4 and CT 6 blogs. eNOS is the key to understanding the metabolic trapdoor in the eye. Neuropsin is our UV light detector on the cornea. When UV light goes away and temperatures fall, the pathway is activated. This is why CT is key, and AM sun still is important year round.

9. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Also a Boston native here, hoping someday it will stop raining/snowing.

My question is whether as I drive into Boston in the morning, heading due east, am I getting any of the red/blue light I need through the windshield, those times I can't roll down the side window?

10. drezy

drezy Gold

Blue and red come though fine.

Windshields block UV light. So that is the important factor that you will be missing through a windshield.

Another member asked me to measure morning sun back in August '17 around 8AM at my 30ºN Latitude. Here are the results so you can see the ratio of reduction. I'll explain any details if you'd like:

FJ side windows closed with direct light on window
    UVA = 26 mw/cm^2
    UVB = 108
    Calculated UV index = 0.2

FJ window open (direct sun through)
    UVA = 1338
    UVB = 870
    Calculated UV index = 1.8

FJ windshield
    UVA = 188
    UVB = 350
    Calculated UV index = 0.6

[vehicle 2004 Jeep TJ ~ 8:10]
    Side windows closed
    UVA = 348
    UVB = 235
    Calculated UV index = 0.5

Side windows open (direct sun through)
    UVA = 1418
    UVB = 885
    Calculated UV index = 1.9

Windshield
    UVA = 0
    UVB = 35.3
    Calculated UV index = 0

John Saf and Katie Durham like this.
  11. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Thanks, that's very helpful. The sun tends to rise as I'm driving to work, so good to know there is some benefit, and a reason to avoid using sunglasses while driving.

12. drezy

drezy Gold

Avoid always please.

Just for reference the UV index in direct AM light near Boston @8AM is currently around 0.2
    https://uv.willyweather.com/ma/suffolk-county/boston.html

That morning UV is quite precious this time of the year.

Sheddie and Katie Durham like this.
  13. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

There are a few mornings every year when the sun has shifted to directly in front of the cars coming up over Belmont Hill on Route 2. If it is an exceptionally clear morning, the light can be blinding. At that point my health is less important than not plowing into the car in front of me, all of which have quickly reduced their speed. But maybe shielding with my hand will be enough.

Thanks so much for the Boston UV website! I want red/blue light before there is any UV, and according to that site there isn't any UV prior to when I arrive at work (long before 8 am). This will help me schedule my days. Looking forward to summer already. ;^)

14. drezy

drezy Gold

Good luck.

Yeah, there are practical issues.

To have a little fun though you could switch to a Harley, wear a tan-through top and make some goggles out of UV fused silica lenses like these: https://www.newport.com/p/FRQ-ND10 .

[​IMG]

Anyone that does that gets my Black Swan of the month vote. I suspect @Jim Laird to be the likeliest candidate to attempt this.

Jim Laird and Katie Durham like this.
  15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@drezy about post #10 on this thread

driver always on driver's seat

FJ side windows closed with direct sun light on the front windshield window

FJ side window open (direct sun through ?????)

FJ windshield what is this

16. drezy

drezy Gold

The FJ =Toyota FJ Cruiser. I also tested a 2004 Jeep.

I tested the side windows closed and open with light coming directly in as well as the windshield. You can see the the side windows let more % of the UV in compared to the windshield.

This was based on a PM question from another member in the Northeast that commuted to work with windows open and shirtless. Which is pretty badass in my book. He wanted to know if there is a point and what the numbers were.

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thank you
    But when side windows are open UVa and UVb are reaching driver, even when the driver is shielded from direct sunlight, right?
    That should mean that my UV sensitive eye glasses should darken.

It would be nice to evaluate/compare that with Red Sperti.
    I am afraid that Sperti may come short in that evaluation.

18. recoen

recoen Gold

@JanSz due to the doubleslit experiment and particle-wave duality yes uva/b should.

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I think soon someone will figure out that there is no duality.
    Only waves, nothing but waves.
    Something that appear solid is just a bunch of waves at some place.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    upload_2018-11-21_12-24-35.png

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My real intention is to figure out the UVa ways.
    Should I put my 50W UVa lamp to shine directly at me or should I arrange it so I get indirect shine.

Is 50W big enough?
    That was the biggest available at the time.
    Now I can get two 60W for almost the same price.

===============================
    https://smile.amazon.com/Onforu-Wat...LED+Flood+Light+IP65-Waterproof+(85V-265V+AC)
    Onforu 2 Pack 60W UV LED Black Light Flood Light with Plug(5ft Cable), IP66 Waterproof,
    wavelength: 385-400nm, UVA level.

upload_2018-11-21_12-29-37.png

Benjamin Stone likes this.