1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

No cardio ever...ever?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Eve, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Eve

Eve New Member

It's quite clear one should not do cardio when one is LR (e.g., why is oprah fat post)...but is cardio reasonable when one is LS? I get the impression that Dr. K doesn't recommend cardio ever aside from sprints (and walking or swimming etc). I'm getting confused after reading some other threads in this forum mentioning 5ks and 10ks.

I really miss running/jogging. I'm still LR now, so wouldn't dream of doing it...but I was hopping when I finally become LS that I could start up again...nothing crazy...maybe a jog/run 40min 2x a week max. I find it really relaxing and a lot more fun than boring walking.

2. Barry

Barry New Member

You just answered your own question by your last sentence !! That thought process/experience is what counts, that = Epigenetics.

And if any paleo meatheads try to tell you otherwise, they haven't got a clue what they are talking about ;-)

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

move slowly is the optimal way if you want to do cardio. that said if your adrenals are ok. and you're doing it at the optimal wo time btwn 3-6pm and all other medical issues are resolved - there's no reason why you can't do a long slow run occasionally - the thing you've got to watch out for is the "high" you get - and think its ok to do more. I love the HIITs I do - but I have to be careful - when I'm stressed I'll skip them. no need to do them and raise cortisol and inflammation. you're biggest gains in fitness will come from Lifting Heavy Things, and the occasional HIIT. with bike riding (not spin class), swimming, walking or hiking.

I've gotten back into swimming - and realized that I have to make myself go slowly - not push the intensity. Its easy to push the intensity in any form of exercise.

4. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I used to love to run. Poor diet and metabolism problems caught up with me a few years back and I had to quit running. Now, thanks to Dr. Kruse and a few others, I am in the best shape of my life at 46. I started running again this summer and it feels great! I can run 3 miles in about 25 minutes. Now that I've seen what I can do, my plan for the rest of the summer is this: Brisk walk 1/2 mile (8 minutes), run all-out 1 mile (6-8 minutes), brisk walk 1/2 mile with a few 100yd sprints thrown in (6-8 minutes).

Total time is under 25 minutes for this workout. It doesn't feel like a 3 mile run at all, and I think I get way more out of it. I'm only doing it once a week, so getting plenty of recovery time. I think this is a great alternative to the chronic cardio style running most people do.

5. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

So what's the consensus here? I usually sign up for a annual 5k in my area. It is a fun time.

I'm not a fast runner, I just try not to come in last.

Is this harming me?

6. Ray

Ray New Member

Isn't the hypothesis here something like: more cardio -> more oxidative stress -> more cell death -> more stem cell depletion

7. quelsen

quelsen New Member

as long as one understands that

"health provides energy for movement"

and that is IS NOT

"movement provides energy for health"

the rest is up to you.

Exercise has its place. however as with anything it can become damaging to you.

if you accept that then you will find your own sweet spot.

run is you want, or not.

bear in mind Body by Science ( for women ) in normal everyday stuff.

treat 5k's and above like your 20% note your 80%

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Precisely.......

9. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

One question for me is what is considered cardio? Is it only the high-paced endurance activity, say 75% of your max? Can one follow a Maffetone-type program (pure aerobic, low heart rate) more safely? Once I can get back to exercising, my plan is to do the Maffetone approach and build endurance at a low heart rate and not worry about being "fast."

10. Stephen

Stephen New Member

Personally I think this is an ok idea. My personal opinion is just don't go doing it every day of the week or for extended sessions. That is unless you want to compete in something. Then recognise that in general athletic performance does not = health.

For far too many the way they approach exercise is in a way such that their highs are too low and their lows are too high. 180bpm - age is a good place to target to stay below for pure aerobic, low heart rate training. Take another 5bpm off if you're just getting back into it or you get sick more than twice a year. Depending on the person this heart rate target (energy systems training) may well require walking, especially when going up hills.

Stephen

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Im not on board with this at all.......

12. villjamur_stevenson

ok, so if I sign up for the 5k, I just need to walk it and know I'm going to lose.

13. quelsen

quelsen New Member

ORO!!!!

[​IMG]

how did you read that and come to that conclusion

is this opposite day?

14. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

This is CW or conventional wisdom type speak...if you believe in this you might want to re-read a few of the blog posts. Calories in calories out is not a good concept. I'm guessing you're new to the forums/Jack Kruse.

15. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

How often are these 5ks? Think of it this way...acute cortisol response is ok as in sprinting once a week. Acute 5k as in not all the time should be ok.

Is your body going to be forever ruined by a 5k every once in awhile? I highly doubt it.

16. villjamur_stevenson

Just once per year, with little training for it - since it is only 5k. I guess I'll take a stab at it this year again.

17. Barry

Barry New Member

I highly doubt it too... ;-)