1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Night lamp because scared of lightning and thunder

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Hilde, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi all,

Last night we had bad weather with thunder and lightning.
    I am very scared and always like to leave a light on in my bed room.
    I know only candles are the best light source at night but for me this is not a safe option. (windows are closed during this weather etc)
    What would be the best option?
    What light bulb?

2. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

I can't find the picture/graph that I want, but as I recall, a "wet process candle OLED" has about the same melatonin interference as candle light does. That said, I believe that it still does have a blue light spike, and I don't know about flicker. And regarding recent research, which JK has posted, any light at night (candle, LED or whatever) is associated with increased disease.

Not sure why you feel that a candle is not a safe option.....seems like a votive candle in a glass container should be pretty contained unless you have a crazy pouncing cat :)

Hilde likes this.
  3. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

Found it:
    Light & Melatonin.jpg

Alex97232 likes this.
  4. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Ed,

Did you mean this?
    https://www.oled-a.org/pr-candlelight-oled-2018.html

No cat here:)
    Just worried about the substances that are released when burning, in a closed room.
    I could use beeswax candles.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

Not sure if those are what I mean, but it looks about right... are flame or incandescent folks and usually lights out when the sun goes down...:zzz::zzz:z

Beeswax is the way to go.

I defer to somebody with more expertise on the red bulb or salt lamp, but the factors that seem to be in play are color spectrum, light intensity and duration of exposure (and flicker effect), so the closer to red at the lowest luminosity for the shortest period of time would provide the lowest health risk....but since response is a non-linear situation, I would have no idea what the tipping point is in that equation for you as an individual.

Alex97232, Hilde and Lahelada like this.
  6. Saichi

Saichi New Member

How does having a light on change your experience of lightning and thunder? Are they really what you're afraid of?

If you care about your health you'll have zero light on end of discussion.

7. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

You don't want any blue or bright light. That oled light sounds much too bright for nighttime or evening use. How about a very low wattage red LED night light.

Michael CULLEN and Hilde like this.
  8. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

The brightness is based upon the "lux" value which is a measurement of illumination with a unit of lumens/sq meter.

The color temperature in degrees Kelvin is a very rough indicator of if the light is more towards the red end of the spectrum (low Kelvin) or towards the blue/white light end of the spectrum (high kelvin), but the spectral distribution is really what shows you the true wavelength outputs of the light source.

The effect on your biological systems is going to be some factor of LUX x TEMP x TIME = EFFECT

So an OLED with a color temp of 1900K "should" be in the reddish range without blue, and if it is a low enough lux, then it would be like a soft candle light.
    A Red LED with too much lux could be counter productive depending on the lux X temp x time formula.

And again, it appears that basically any light at night is likely to be problematic.....so perhaps best to work through the fear of thunder and lightening....the thunder won't hurt you and you will never see the lightning bolt that gets you coming!

Alex97232 likes this.
  9. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

I have the lights below and am happy with them. The main use is in the winter months when I am up at 5 am and sunrise is not until 930... They give enough light to be able to do things in the kitchen and see your way around. The light produced has a candle-like appearance.

https://lowbluelights.com/product/blue-free-night-light-sleep-promoting-nursery-light-120v-led/
    https://lowbluelights.com/product/blue-free-amber-sleep-promoting-usb-gooseneck-light/

Light output spectrum: http://lowbluelights.com/wp-content...ue-night-light-book-light-mini-spot-light.jpg

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  10. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Bob,
    Thanks.
    I discovered this product also.
    What about the flickering effect of these lamp?
    How do you like the lamps. Satisfied?

I have send the company this email:

"Hi, Is there info on the lamps flickering effect? have they been tested for this?"

They replied:

"Thank you for your email. The bulbs use pulse width modulation. The pulse frequency is still well beyond what the eye can detect"

This comment worries me because, they must know for sure know that 'flicker' is effecting the brain to, the brain can detect it, while it is not visible for the eyes.

11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

PWM is an intrinsic part of the LED and is what is known as flicker. There seems to be an understanding of the upper threshold within the industry but no tests as far as I can find. From a marketing perspective it is surprising that they would not use this as an extra feature of their lights if it was such a benefit they arrived at through planning.

I have another idea for you. A tired paraventricular nucleus makes us prone to be fearful. We share a lot of fears and think them normal, the crime rate, the other side of town is dangerous(said on both sides!) etc . The protocol you have embarked on will raise your fear threshold in time as your PVN and with that your adrenals recover. (adrenal fatigue is not a thing per se though !)

So my suggestion would be this
    I am not recommending this as a safe light though, but for nights when your sleep will be interrupted already by the storm that you hear. The remote control at your bedside puts you in control to only switch them on when you cannot stand the storm noises any longer. Keep a cheap non powerful flash light on your bedside table if you want to make doubly sure . Use them with a shade and increase the shading as your journey progresses. Using rechargeable batteries it should be doable. As your journey progresses you will probably need it less and less.
    Stick some red foil over these to kill the white light. https://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-Ev...ess-Control/dp/B01JT65IXE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_15

https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Rul...light+remote&qid=1560343377&s=gateway&sr=8-16

Don't get tempted to use them every day though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Hilde and drezy like this.
  12. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

13. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling Silver

Hello Hilde. Yes I like the lamps. They were a replacement for LED so the results were very noticeable. I know flicker is being talked about but have not delved into it. I am using them for morning and late night tasks at high latitudes. The population density is very low so I don't deal with a some of the things that may be experienced in the south.

In regards the brain as a computer, it may find a way to process the flicker more effectively.

14. DockMD

DockMD That’s the reason why

I was going to wait to tell everyone since I don't physically have them just yet, but my brother and I will be selling the candlelight-style OLED lights that Jack references in his 2018 talk (a slide of which is copied and pasted above). I'm hoping to get them in by the end of this month.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Bob Stirling likes this.
  15. DockMD

DockMD That’s the reason why

All artificial light sources flicker, with the exception of lasers.

16. Inger

Inger Silver

I would watch deeper why you are scared of darkness/lightening and thunder.
    To me being in darkness has been very healing. I do use a candle in the winter,months, but I have started to love the darkness now. It forces you to be with you, going deeper inside you, if you let it happen, it is very healing.
    When you feel the fear just see if you can let it be, doing nothing, and just open deeper to it. That is how the fear will disappear... at least it did for me :) :)

17. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Inger,

Maybe you misunderstood me because I am not scared for darkness at all, I love it and its healing effects. It's the lightning and thunder that I am scared of.
    Yes I am looking deeper into why I am scared of lightning and thunder for some time now.
    Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts Inger :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 3:16 AM
  18. Jimm

Jimm Gold

Salt lamps give similar light as candles and use small incandescent bulbs. They make salt lamp night lites as well.