1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Nice Ice Price

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by nonchalant, May 23, 2012.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I keep seeing references to $2-$3 bags of ice. Have you seen those stand-alone ice vending places? They are a small building, about the size of a semi-truck trailer. For $1.50, I can get a 20lb bag of ice. At another brand vendor, I can get 16lb loose ice for $1. Just bring your own bag or an ice chest.

Here's a random pic I found:

http://www.polarmatic-ice-vending.com/

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Good idea but I don't believe there is anything like that in my area. When I search for ice I get ice cream stores and skating rinks. I guess I could ask to recycle the ice the Zamboni collects!:rolleyes:

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Yes, I have one of these businesses very close to my home in Houston. 20 lbs for $1 was the price last time I was there. There are two chutes at the one I frequent - one for a bag of ice, the other for placing a cooler under.

Nice little niche in the ice market. Wonder how much it profits on a month? Houston is HOT for 6+ months out of the year.

4. txritchies@att.net

txritchies@att.net New Member

Guy I know builds and owns several of these ice houses. Mainly in N Texas. I don't think he would keep building if they weren't making a nice profit :) Sounds like a good market niche in the south.

5. Birdy

Birdy New Member

You buy a big utility bucket at the big box store. An alternative is to use coolers. You can probably get a bunch of styrofoam containers from people who do mail order steaks.

6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

August,

The ice place near me takes both cash and debit cards. It also sends the 20lb bags of ice down the chute in a bag, you just have to put a twist tie around it (these are provided also). I will be making a trip over there in the AM to pick up 4 bags. Fortunately, we have a chest freezer.

7. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Sam's Club has 20 lb bags for $2.14....! Best price I have seen around!

8. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

On another thread someone posted about liter bottles of water they freeze and referee to get the temp down, and adding alcohol to them so that they freeze at a lower temp ( and therefore lower water temp more when you throw them in). I've got some vodka in my freezer.......hmmmmm.... ;)

9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Stopped by the self-serve ice place this morning to restock my freezer and ran into the manager who was there to check on things. She said they have 50 of these ice houses throughout Texas. I asked what the initial start up cost was for one and it is around $150k.

20 lbs of ice for $1 is what most of their locations sell for. She said they move a large volume of ice at that price.

She then asked what I needed five bags of ice for...a camping trip? When I told her I used it for ice baths it lead to a conversation on the benefits of CT. I directed her to this website. My good deed for the day :)