1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Newsworthy? Do, tell....

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Tanya, Mar 4, 2014.

1. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I don't know what your native tongue is Tanya but I'd bet my personal fat lake that I can't speak or write yours as well as you can mine! I've a feeling there probably is a grammar correction on the Mac, it may involve double clicking when there's a red line and seeing if it's grammar or spelling. On Word it used to be red for spelling and, er, another colour for grammar I think. This might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph10844

This link, http://en.softonic.com/s/free-grammar-checker-software:mac has a free grammar checker, scroll down to about halfway. I have no idea whether it's good or bad though.

The only other suggestion would be to create a post in Pages and use the grammar check. Perhaps a bit longwinded for forum use. Actually I don't really think you need it, you're posts are fine :)

2. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Well, you're very proficient. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said.

I used to get my messages scrwed up by Nokia "predictive text", too. For example, every time I typed "mum" the Nokia would decide I meant "nun". I mean ... lots of people need to send messages about their mothers, but just how many people need to refer to cloistered ladies? It's bizarre.

3. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks for the links, superb. I will check them out.

4. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks for making me laugh.....:D

5. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Now, on the serious note....

I feel that in order for me to gain better clarity regarding my current efforts to get better, I need to describe how I happened to get to this point in the first place.

First of all, I’ve been sick for almost half of my life, but looking at me and what I was doing with myself at that time, you would never know that.

Surprisingly, I was a very healthy child growing back in the USSR. I say surprisingly, because now that “I know better” (JK), the living conditions were not supportive of that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really need to give you a very big hug Tanya ........xoxoxo

That must have been so hard to tell us.......

Now you have joined us in our wonderful journey to wellness ..... have a remarkable day today ...and everyday from now on ....:)

Tanya likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks for the hug and your good wishes caroline. I am sending you back the same:)

It was not easy then nor after all this time, even now.... At least, I don't ask "Why" anymore.....

caroline likes this.
  8. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Cold Thermogenesis was not in my vocabulary until I discovered this site, but I was sort of doing it a little bit in my teen years, without even realizing at the time that that’s what it was.

As I keep going down the memory lane, our water supply back in the USSR was limited to only 2 hours each day - one in the morning (cold water only) and one with hot one in the evening. I loved my morning cold showers, even though they were brief and I could not even wash my hair while taking them - it was way too long and heavy and would not be dry in time for me to leave. For that we had our trips to banya - and I hated them with passion. While everyone else seemed to be so enjoying being there, I could not stand all that heat, steam, noise, and complete lack of any privacy.

Moving on to the drinking water. Come to think of it, I was not drinking that much plain water, at all. Instead, we always had plenty of store bought tomato juice, kvass, soda, and black tea.

9. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Perhaps steam baths aren't a bad idea in themselves, though. They seem to be an established method of bathing for many hunter-gatherers. Best to finish with a cold plunge or a roll in the snow, though!

And I recall from a podcast that Jack himself takes infra-red saunas.

The history of it seems to be that the practice tended to retreat with the spread of Christianity. The early Christians could be very ascetic and, believe it or not, keeping yourself clean was actually frowned on as a form of luxury. This is perhaps a surprise to people who think of New England Puritans who, far from that, seem to have believed (equally extraordinarily) that "cleanliness is next to godliness". It's a fact, though. Possibly it was also felt that naked people might be getting up to who-knows-what in the steam bath.

The sauna, of course, comes from Finland which was evangelised very late, not till the late Middle Ages. (There are still traces of pagan beliefs in the the Finnish national epic, the Kalevala.) I've no idea why steam baths kept going in Russia, but the above seems to be the historical reason for their disappearance in most of what was Christendom.

Kvass doesn't sound too bad to me either. It tends to be recommended in those sectors of the Ancestral Health Movement that have actually heard of it. It's a lactic ferment and hence tends to help the digestion and so on, in the same way that sauerkraut and similar vegetable dishes do. But I guess a shop-bought kvass might not be authentic.

Apparently, the authentic version is making a comeback:

I've made the "beet kvass" before -- it didn't work very well.

10. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Mike, back then steam bath and garlic were indisputable solutions for all kinds of health problems. I just did not feel that well while being exposed to all that heat and felt so much better taking cold showers.

Even though, kvass is a very healthy drink for some people, I am not so sure if I was one of them. It was made out of bread and I already was consuming way- way too much of it as it was.... I did love the taste of kvass though and was drinking a lot of it as well.

Now we can buy locally carrot or beet kvass, but of course it is not even close.....

11. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Sleep. I definitely was not getting much of it either. In my family it was viewed merely as a suggestion and I also thought of it as a major inconvenience in my life: so many things to do and so little time....

Our small apartment was more like a tiny version of the Grand Central in, like the song says “the city that never sleeps”. The place was always filled with our neighbors and friends who never-ever had to call in advance to let us know they are coming - they were always welcomed.

Nighttime was just the automatic extension of the day for me for getting the chores done, studying and reading. Sundays were the the days when everyone was catching up on their sleep. Not me, though. I would still wake up early and use a flashlight to read under the blanket, so that I would not wake up my sister with whom I shared the bed.

Yet, I was always the healthiest one out of everyone in my family or friends - never getting sick, even while being so close to the rest of them who were. It took a skiing accident to take me down, but even then everyone was surprised how quickly I recovered from it. I was just at the peak of my both physical and mental performance and I thought that nothing would ever slow me down...

12. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Fast-forward a few years - walking on a street in Vienna and suddenly feeling a strange pain in my right ankle with no reason for it to be there.... Tried to ignore it for 2 days, until one morning the foot got swollen to the point that I could not even zip up my boots.

Luckily, I was able to use the old stand-by treatment from my ballet days and by the time we left Austria, I was fine again.

After that, we were so fortunate to spend 7 months living in Rome, Italy. Being born and lived all my life behind the “iron curtain”, it was my dream come true for me... There was so much food for my soul.....As far as bodily nourishment - we mostly relied on all kinds of pasta, pizzas and ice-cream - of course, all my favorites at that time.

We were on a crowded bus when something happened again. I started feeling very hot and somewhat dizzy and the next thing that I remembered I was outside and surrounded by all these strange people. The ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital. They treated me by giving me some injections - I have no idea what they were and what they were for.

13. Josh

Josh Gold

Welcome to journal land....I appreciate your story.

Tanya likes this.
  14. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you, Josh. At the speed I am going, it will probably take me awhile to tell it competely :D. I am finally trying to put together the pieces of this puzzle.....

15. Josh

Josh Gold

I find it a good mirror to see my path...

Tanya likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

I love how you are giving us your story ... your journey .......

Tanya likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Gold

18. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Another fast-forward brings me to much different and happier time, but looking back I see myself even then as being on autopilot and not paying much attention to my self-care. I though I was doing just fine without it and my busy and active lifestyle did not have any room for it anyway.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  19. Inger

Inger Silver

yes, keep it coming Tanya... so exited to hear it all! You have gone through quite some things...!!! o_O

Tanya likes this.
  20. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks a lot, Inger. :) Yes, I did, but fortunately I was young and able to withstand it at that time... until years later it all finally caught up with me....