1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

newborn and sleep deprivation

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Jason Yun, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

Have a one month old and it's been pretty routine for me to be up at least 2-4 times a night.
    I haven't really needed any caffeine or stimulants to make it through the day. Still doing decaf about 2-3 times a week and green tea about the same.
    However I am yawning a lot more then usual.
    Is there anything I should be doing more of to combat the detrimental effects of waking up that many times a night? Supplements? More particular type of food?
    I already do CT at least 5 x a week and ground usually over an hour a day.

JanSz and recoen like this.
  2. recoen

recoen Gold

I do not have any other suggestions other than what doc advises (sunrise, ct, seafood, decreased nnemf, no alan, etc). I am still in the same boat, a little worse as mom, at 10mos, still mostly breastfeeding my little man. I think that is why we need to be as close to optimal pre-delivery so we can give ourselves to them this first year (and beyond of course, but they really should be in utero another year if it were not for the evolutionary arms race... so specifically this first year). Stay strong dad and enjoy them- I am constany amazed by how fast he grows and learns! Also, take help! If anyone (trusted) offers to watch your child for some time on the weekend or evening. Say yes (I promise you are not weak for doing so), and sleep! Do not do house work, etc.- that can wait! I tried to still do it all at first and I burned out with mastitis so that taught me really fast to relax and enjoy the moment. Of course there are different dynamics for dad and mom. But I see this as a slow, quiet time of life. My little man is the one growing and learning and he is an extension of me so I am as well- let’s be honest he’s teaching me way more :). Congratulations!

JanSz, Jason Yun, drezy and 1 other person like this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

You are up bottle feeding your new little person? Your wife is breast feeding and then expressing milk for night feeds?

Have you tried sitting in a rocking chair and just enjoying every second? You are getting a huge oxytocin release.

Relax and enjoy .....these wonderful years pass all too quickly.

JanSz and drezy like this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

So true and so bittersweet

5. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I assume all the mothers here sleep with their babies?

6. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

Thank you for that @recoen

No not yet. Just diaper changing everytime he feeds.

7. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

he did have his one month check up and the doctor recomended putting him on a probiotic because she thinks he is having digestive issues thats why he doesn't sleep at night and he does groan a lot at night in between feedings.

I know Dr. Jack doesn't recommend probiotic for adults, but is it different for baby's? Or is there something else we can use to help with his digestion?

recoen likes this.
  8. recoen

recoen Gold

How is your wife’s diet and your sons sun exposure?

My son has some digestive issues when I eat eggs.

Try tracking your wife’s diet to find the trigger. Also, babies gi tracts go through many changes so it could be a temporary thing- like their sleep regressions.

9. Jason Yun

Jason Yun Gold

the doc told her yesterday to re-start paleo and get rid of all dairy. She was doing a lot because I have her on keto as much as possible. But she still has her vices (sourdough bread, peanut butter cups, granola, etc....

I get my son out in the sun as much as possible..sunrise, workout/yoga with me and at least one other time, possibkly 2 if I'm home with him for sunset. Otherwise I always have a window nearby him open.

caroline and recoen like this.
  10. recoen

recoen Gold

Peanut butter is another one for my little man. I do not consume much dairy because I used to be lactose intolerant. That went away with sun exposure but I still do not like it.
    I understand vices! I would watch which ones she chooses and see if there is a specific one that causes a change.
    Like I said though expect all of this to change in a week, even tomorrow. Babies are art, not science lol.
    Keep it up dad!

caroline and drezy like this.
  11. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

There was a study in 2000 where the orthosilicic acid (basically bioavailable silicon) was measured in blood serum of different aged men and women, and pregnant women. In pregnant women it was extremely low. Its also found in breastmilk, and there was high levels in infants < 1 year old. The researcher's conclusion was "The explanation of the high silicon levels of the infant group, especially <1 year old may be that pregnant mothers offer their silicon to the growing fetus." Although there are better ways of getting it, the sourdough bread and granola are sources of silica, so the "vice" may be connected to that. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Jason Yun and recoen like this.
  12. recoen

recoen Gold

Sue-UK likes this.