1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Newbie needing help in interpreting labs particularly bun/creatine

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by caryo1, Jan 6, 2015.

1. caryo1

caryo1 New Member

I am new to this forum. Have read EpiPaleo RX and have been 80% on a paleo diet for about 2 years. I try to read Jack's website articles but not being in the medical profession find it dense to read and understand what to do. Here are some recent labs:

Bun 21
    Creatine 0.72
    Bun/creatine ratio 29 (yikes!)
    Sodium 143
    Potassium 4.4
    Calcium 9.6
    Vit d 89 (I supplement)
    B12 1395 (I supplement, was once at 50)
    HDL 92
    LDL 110
    VLDL 19
    Triglycerides 95
    Glucose 87
    A1C 5.7
    AST 23
    ALT 19
    ALK Phos 78
    TSH 1.22

Need suggestions on what to improve on and how to do it.

Thanks for your support.

2. Hope2Learn

Hope2Learn We are all connected.

Hi, I'm newer than you are (haven't run all my labs yet, haven't read the book yet) but I did hear in a podcast the other day that a BUN:Creatinine ratio of over 10:1 is not optimal and over 20:1 is really quite bad, according to Jack.

Can't really help, I'm sorry, but at least you have validation that your "yikes!" was warranted! I'm sure others will be along soon who can actually help - good luck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    BTA likes this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

No human pic........not good. BUN/creat at 29 is a real problem.

4. caryo1

caryo1 New Member

Pic now there. I know 29 is a problem, but how to fix?

5. BTA

BTA New Member

what if you have muscle mass & eat a high protein diet - won't this effect the ratio ?? :confused:

6. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

Please elaborate.

7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Welcome Cary. Your values are indicative of dehydration at cellular level.
    I would recomiend reading more about the Epi Paleo diet here and thjnk about your circadian rhythms and your
    EMF exposure.
    Understanding Jack....noone understands him when they first get here. It js important though to keep reading and tryjng. You do not need to understand everything to get better,that is the good news.
    Why not start a journal? Forgive if you have already done so. I have been disconnected recently.

nicld likes this.
  8. BTA

BTA New Member

Is it possible to have a ratio under 10 if you've got muscle mass & eat a diet high in protein? Both of those factors can & do raise the ratio - which is why I asked is it possible??

9. caryo1

caryo1 New Member

I also eat a high protein diet so I am curious about an answer to your question.

BTA likes this.
  10. caryo1

caryo1 New Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

11. BTA

BTA New Member

I hear ya

12. Jude

Jude Gold

@Yew....be good to hear from you re this.......

13. the high protein diet will elevate urea in some instances and skew the ratio yes.
    this is why many who swap to a standard paleo template get constipation, because their water consumption does not match their new protein intake. it is why many newbs struggle in ketosis, because ketosis calls for HYDRATION

BTA likes this.
  14. i dont know what the AMerican units are for anything up there so i cannot help much without units (mmol/L, mg/DL etc etc)

15. BTA

BTA New Member

I drink any more water & my eyeballs will float :confused:

I found out that I had a Biotoxin Infection - thanks to the work of Dr Shoemaker, MD. I'll bet more people have it than not. Just run a lab test called ADH & you'll be shocked. If you're infected with a Biotoxin you'll never be hydrated no matter what you do. But it's only a few months of treatment til you're better. Almost getting over it.

16. anti-diuretic hormone?

BTA likes this.
  17. BTA

BTA New Member

Yes - it's the key to if you are able to hold water, use water and dispense water correctly. If it's tanked - you'll never be able to be hydrated :( Check Blood & Urine osmolarity. Dr Shoemaker, MD

"Reduced MSH can decrease pituitary production of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) which can lead to thirst, frequent urination, neurally-mediated hypotension (NMH), low blood volume, and electric shocks from static electricity. While sex hormone production is often down-regulated the pituitary may upregulate the production of cortisol and ACTH in the early stages of illness, then drop to abnormally low, or low-normal ranges later."

"The blocked leptin receptor will no longer create the initiation of steps that lead to production of alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH)."

http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/the-biotoxin-pathway

Clayton likes this.
  18. i know what it is of course, however I wasnt aware of the MSH affect on its production, thanks

19. Clayton

Clayton New Member

^^That's an interesting read

20. Valerie

Valerie New Member

Good article. But CT can help to increase MSH! I have had the darkest tan (no burning) since I started