1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

New with questions

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by AnnieW, Jul 24, 2013.

1. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Hi Friends,

I found out about this website through MDA. I am working my way through the monster thread. Lots of good info in there!

I'm 31, female, 343 lbs :(. I'm 6' tall and classic apple shape. I have severe PCOS and I started showing symptoms when I was about 8. I am insulin resistant but not technically diabetic yet according to my doctor. I just went to see her and she scheduled me for some labs but I don't think they are as comprehensive as what Dr. K recommends.

I started the reset on Monday but today I caved and ate pizza. I could have kicked myself after all the $ I spent on good food over the weekend. I'm hoping to get a lot of good info and support on this forum, maybe even join the members area if I can stick with this!

I had a question starting out. I saw the food list Dr. K posted on his blog. I was wondering if we had a more comprehensive list with specific vegetables and things listed. For example, I had specific questions on whether or not things like carrots, avocados, and sunflower seeds were ok. Also should I be using macadamia nut oil or olive oil for salad dressings? How about coconut manna? Is that ok to have during mealtimes? Should we limit it? I think I could stomach that a lot more than straight oil. I don't drink coffee and last night I just took some hard off the spoon and it took everything in my willpower to get it down LOL. Hopefully I can get used to it. Also does it matter what kind of bacon I buy? I've been buying the nitrate/nitrite free bacon which is really expensive.

Overall I have had really good energy and sleeping well the last two nights. The only thing is that I have been dealing with some diarrhea (TMI). Not sure if it's the coconut oil or not. I might be eating 3 tbs at the most during the day. Wish I hadn't screwed up today. Tomorrow is a new day!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Hi and welcome. I've been following JAcks protocols since summer 2011. Its a long road, and there are days you may not be "perfect" in your diet. that's ok. just keep focusing on the BAB, meal timing, and eliminating artificial light at night. If you're having cravings, up both protein and FAT at breakfast.

BAB should mostly be Protein/fat.

Lunch and dinner should be protein/fat/carbs - eat as much seafood as you can - preferably shellfish and crustaceans.

skip the sunflower seeds. for some people coconut mana can trigger binges... if you don't drink coffee or green tea - try some camomile made bullet proof style 1-2tbs of grassfed butter/ghee, and 1-2tb of coconut oil or MCT. blend it up and drink.

as for bacon, buy what you can afford. -we buy the thick cut kind from Costco... same price as 1lb of local free-range hogs but for 4lbs!

Getting into the grove with the LR for some can take time...but this isn't a sprint to the finish. this is a long distance journey to optimal health.

post questions. there's great people here on the thread.

as for the labs- when you get them back, after you've digested some of the info here... we can give you a list to ask your doc to run for the next set of labs, on the day you discuss your current set with her.

welcome

gretchen

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome Annie ....Gretchen has lots of great advice. Try not to stress - just do what you can and keep reading and reading and then asks lots of questions. There is so much to take in ....but it does start to sink in. I need to read the blogs many times to "get it" .....as you start connecting dots you will have lots of "ah ha" moments and then you will read an old blog and go - oh - now I get it!

4. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thanks so much for replying! It's good to know I don't have to spend a bajillion dollars on bacon anymore. I love Costco.

Can we use coconut flour? I use it sometimes in crab cakes and to dust fish filets before pan-frying. Also, what's bullet-proof coffee? Is that Dr. K's book? I need to order that...

Thank you ladies again for replying. I have lost 4 lbs in 4 days and although I know I shouldn't be looking at the scale this soon, I was feeling so good that I couldn't help it!

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yes you can use coconut flour...

here's how to make your coffee bulletproof....

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

focus on how you feel, and how your clothes fit. not the scale. If you can put the away you'll find your focus will shift to how you feel....

I recommend keeping a journal of how you feel... things that are going on etc... also start tracking your FBG through out your cycle in the am... I bet you see a rise at one point in your cycle.... due to the PCOS....

6. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Hi Gretchen,

Sorry, what is FBG? Is that good to have a rise or no? I am definitely feeling better. Well, today not so much. I do have a headache and I'm tired. I think it's because yesterday I fell off the Leptin Reset wagon and then let it run over me. LOL. I did have two burgers with three eggs this morning. I can tell it's not enough food though because I'm starting to feel grouchy. I was thinking of adding avocado and coconut manna to breakfast. I wanted something in addition to the meat. I understand about the manna inducing cravings. It's obviously popular because it's out of stock LOL. So is it ok to add avocado to breakfast? I ran out of bacon so I have to get some more. I do have some seafood in the freezer but since we're on a budget I'd prefer to save that for dinner.

Can we use the bulletproof method for regular hot tea as well? I've never had green tea but we have some other tea at home that my husband drinks.

Thanks so much again, hope you don't get tired of me asking questions.

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

FBG = fasting blood glucose PCOS women make excess tesosterone in their ovaries, and at the same time they make more insulin than they need in their ovaries as well. there are points in your cycle - that if you journal and track your FBG - you'll begin to see a trend and can pinpoint where in your cycle your Testosterone is rising.

Cook your burgers in coconut oil. and go ahead and have your avocado - be aware though one runs towards 20g. so it will eat into your carbs for the day... you really want to keep your carbs btwn 25-50g for the day.

yes you can make your tea bulletproof- its a great fat delivery system...

8. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Wow I feel stupid. FBG is so obvious now LOL. Yes, my testosterone is definitely out of control. I have severe PCOS. My facial hair is insane and my head hair is thinning so quickly. I'll be surprised if I have any left by the time I'm 40. :( I've been off birth control and spironolactone for about 2 years now. When I went off the pill and my weight skyrocketed, that's when things got really bad.

So if I see a trend in the testosterone rising, what should I do?

Thanks again for your help!

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

if you FBG is rising at a specific point in your cycle, and your eating high fat/moderate protein/low carb - you can pinpoint when the T is rising.

one option is using metformin to control this... you might also want to find a BHRT Doc who can help you as well.... you most likely need Bioidentical progesterone to help you reverse the upside down Pg E2 you've got going on.

for now just focus on the Leptin reset, and follow circadian cycles... take small steps...

10. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Great thank you so much!

11. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

One more question. I did purchase some Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. Should I not use it? I am not sure if it's A1 or not. That's all for now. Thanks!

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

not with PCOS

13. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thanks Dr. I appreciate your help. Thanks for all you do. This has been very helpful for me.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Annie. When I started adding more fat in the BAB I did a lot better. I often put butter on a hamburger ....

15. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the tip about the butter. At this point I'm not sure I can add anymore coconut oil. I've only had 2 tablespoons today and I have horrible diarrhea. I didn't think it would be this bad but it's really awful. I'm also taking 6 Nordic Naturals fish oil capsules a day, but I've done that in the past with no problems. I'm thinking of adding some bacon, avocado, or coconut manna to my breakfast to supplement. I'm currently eating 2 grass-fed patties and 3 eggs. I was thinking of adding some cheese but I see now that's a no-go.

Thanks again for helping me!

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Dr. K. Isn't a fan of fish oil capsules ....eat seafood. I wound up upping the fat and cutting back on the protein a bit. I found that much better than trying to stuff more protein down .... But I have always loved butter! Everything is better with bacon :)

17. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Gah! Just when you think you're doing something right lol...

Thanks, I will eat more seafood. You don't have to tell me twice!

Just curious, where did you see that he isn't a fan of fish oil? I was wondering if there was a repository of information which I haven't seen. Or maybe he just mentioned it on the forum.

Thanks again!

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

19. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Ok great thank you. Dr., how do you feel about farm-raised shrimp? I can't get wild-caught where I live.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

There is a huge repository of information here! Honestly - it does get easier :)

A lot of us have found that eating seafood in the morning may not be filling enough.... I often have a little of this and that...

When you are ready - we will tell you about a MHS .... and raw seafood/ meat....:)