1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

New to Hashis...what's ok?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by MartiD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Marti, chocolate and coffee should also be avoid. I also just found out I have Hashis. It sucks, but I feel so much better now than I eliminate all the offender from my diet.

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

there is a context to that - being deficient in certain nutrients that will have an elevation of antibodies as the result of high-iodine foods/supplements. I posted that question in Ask Jack and my context is a 20-something year history of AN. The study also showed that if you are sufficient in those nutrients, you don't get that reaction, no matter if hashi's or not.

3. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

i have hashi's and don't avoid coffee or chocolate. Just shoot me now. LOL Seriously, I don't have any bad effects from it. Eggs make my thumbs hurt, but I recently tried them on a trip with the yolks uncooked since I'd read it's the cooking of the yolks that produces the inflammation. I had no effect from eating them that way so that's helpful when traveling. I don't have a problem with peppers, thank goodness. Would hate to have to give them up. Some of this is very individual.

4. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Interesting about your thumbs and eggs. Tomorrow I'm giving up eggs for a while to see if that helps my arthritis. Do you avoid nightshades other than peppers?

5. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Lyndra, no I still eat green peppers and tomatoes. I don't have any problems with them but my gut is in pretty good shape now. :)

6. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Interesting Colleen. For last few months I did have a bit of brain fog which I tributed to two teenagers, dry skin which I've had most my life, and some slight fatigue (see brain fog excuse). I stopped eggs, gy, hwc last Monday. I've been gluten free for a year for most part. I haven't noticed a change because I didn't have any pains before. However, today I've felt like crap...no idea why but felt anxious, tired but heartbeat seems to be up, dull headache, pressure behind eyes, heavy feeling. I've been reading so much I think it has mentally exhausted me especially since there is so much contradictory info out there.

7. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I have a question about corn. I found some sweet potato chips that are gluten free, actually everything free(lol), but made with corn. Is corn ok on AI protocol?

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nope..............

9. The thing about packages of crunchy, is they are usually cooked in a bad oil. Heated bad oils are as bad as sugar for inflamation.

10. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Sometimes I make Kale chips. Fresh kale leaves deveined, tossed in oil (I use coconut, but butter used to be divine) and salted. Put in the oven at 350-375ish, and turn about every 5-7 minutes for even drying. You need to keep turning them! They take about 30 minutes, depending on how full the pan is. Lower temps taste better, but take a little longer. Common failure is not using enough oil (probably not a problem with this crowd!). When they're done, they're crispy and oily like a chip. I bet there all kinds of reasons why these are not good for you, probably to do with overcooking the greens. Seems every little crutch I use has something wrong with it!! But I don't know of anything just yet, and I use Kale fresh (unwashed) from our garden.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

You can make these in the dehydrator if you're concerned about the cooking part. They are delish either way :)

12. I second these! I read somewhere that it's really helpful to NOT salt until after baking, as the salt pulls the moisture to the surface and it crisps slower? I can't remember why, but I do it that way now and they do seem to go faster.

I also reallllllllly love coconut flakes fried up in butter (ghee will work, and still smells buttery) it's very pop-corny and snacky. they get brown and crispy and have a slight sweet from the coconut and salty/butter from the toasting.

Hmmm, I may have to make some of those tonight.

13. LinD

LinD New Member

The coconut flakes sound yummy, Cavemam. Thanks!

I tried the spinach chips last year and liked them a lot. I like the techniques shared here about the kale chips. Do you use parchment paper to keep them from sticking to the pan?

14. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Hey Marti! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis :(

Here are my two cents regarding Hashi's (and what has benefited my Hashi's):

Books: I recommend reading Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal?, as it's specifically about Hashi's and all the related patterns of imbalance (hormones, neurotransmitters, etc.)

A new book that I've heard had quality info is The Complete Idiot's Guide To Thyroid Disease.

Practitioner: It's important to work with a functional medicine practitioner who understands autoimmune disease and balancing the immune system. This is one of the keys to managing Hashi's. You have to determine if your immune system is TH-1 or TH-2 dominant and then you can treat it accordingly and you'll know which supplements to avoid and which will be beneficial.

I've been helped tremendously by this approach, but I'm going to be switching docs to someone who does more involved endocrine treatment than mine does. Drs. Shane Steadman and Mark Flannery were both recommended to me by a knowledgeable friend (they're both listed here):

I've also heard good things about Dr. Alan Christianson.

Iodine:
    This one is so individual, but I'd say to take selenium for awhile before trying any iodine and to go small and slow with the dose if you do try it. You can cause a major flare up, otherwise.

Diet:
    This is also really individual, but gluten intolerance is nearly a given and casein intolerance is common. Some people cross-react to coffee and others don't. Corn cross-reactivity is very common. It would be ideal to get a Cyrex Labs Gluten-Associated Cross-Reactive Foods and Foods Sensitivity panel to see exactly what you react to.

I hope this is helpful!

15. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Jack said in one of the Webinars he discussed Hashi's.

Can anyone please point me to that Webinar?

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

He touched on it I. The hormones & the epipaleo webinars.

17. Very helpful. Thanks

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Future blogs will touch on it too.......

19. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Thank HazyJane...just realized I never thanked you. I do have a question for those who are veteran Hashi's patients. What do you do when you have several days in a row of the very Hypo feelings. Tired, heavy arms and legs, bad brain fog, mild headache. My sleep is still really good, solid 8 hrs a night but I hit a wall around 4:00 p.m. occassionally. Most days I feel more hyper, but last few days have been very hypo. Any recommendations on foods or supplements? I am still total AI diet and have been 4 weeks.

20. Are you taking any T3 or Armour Marti? I'm taking 3 doses every day: one as I wake up, one before lunch time and one before dinner. It helps me to have energy and feeling great all day. I had to make some trials and error, but now I think I've found what works the best for me.