1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

New to Hashis...what's ok?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by MartiD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MartiD

MartiD New Member

So for the last day I've been searching the Internet trying to absorb as much as possible about Hashi's and the diet protocol and it's amazing the different things you read. Some sites says eggs and dairy are ok, even have them in recipes and others say to avoid. Just about the only consistency I've found is Soy which won't be an issue I don't think. So I thought I would start a list of thing Ive read about and get feedback from those who are dealing with Hashis in particular. I know each AI protocol can be different.

Eggs (all eggs, are yokes alone ok?)

Dairy (is grass-fed butter ok?)

Soy

Gluten (this is really confusing!)

Sugar

Things to add:

More seafood

Iodine rich foods such as?

Selenium

Up magnesium supps...any type better than others? I do malate now

I've read exercise is also strongly recommended but I assume nothing strenuous that will cause inflammation? Walking best? Thanks for help from all experts on this one!

2. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Just read to avoid veggies broccoli, calliflower, Brussels sprouts and kale. I just bought a big bunch of kale last weekend at farmers market! Seems like I have been doing everything to cause more issues instead of being "healthy". Ugh.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

maybe now you understand the value of testing.......you maybe now get why I say what I say? Lab testing make you become aware of just how much you dont know.

4. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Oh believe me, I understand now!

5. Sem

Sem New Member

It definitely is confusing. The one I am certain about is gluten.

6. OMG, I am sending out all the vibes in the universe that your tests were wrong! I keep thinking to myself. . ."at least I don't have Hashi's" I see this for you and something deep inside goes "oh ****!" My low carb veggies are pretty much all those cruciferous ones plus salad.

I hope part of what you are finding, and part of your silver lining is that now you have something concrete you can deal with. Keep posting on what you are discovering. . .I'm sure there will be many to follow in your footsteps (I'm in denial in case it's me - still trying to get tested).

Wonder what you did to keep losing weight on the LRX+CT that the Hashi's didn't interfere with. . .intriguing!

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I broke Dr B in for that issue - he ran a complete Thyroid panel with antibodies for me... just ask for it. He'll remember ;) He might ask you to write down what you need/want.... I chose TSH fT3, fT4, rT3, and double antibody panel. He also now knows why T3 is often the choice of med when rT3 is high and you have a conversion problem

8. MARTI - SORRY FOR HIJACK!

Thanks Soul - I wish I could take you with me! There are so many things, they are all starting to run together. I don't do so good in person expressing myself and making a clear case. Perhaps I should tell him I am mute and must type out everything!!! :rolleyes:

9. MartiD

MartiD New Member

No problem...my only thought, and this is probably denial setting in, is since both antibodies weren't tested (I know both were marked) is there even a slight chance this isn't Hashi's? I know unlikely but since I am so new to this I would love to hear from others. I am hoping (assuming) Jack will address this in my email lab consult when I get him everything this afternoon.

Now that I have done some investigating and reading, I see so many of the signs that I didn't see before. Now just wondering what the next step is besides changing my diet.

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

@ cavemam: Sorry Marti, maybe I should move this post to c's journal...

U might see me around tomorrow, lol. I gotta get a blood re-draw and it's getting awfully late today for that :eek:

Here's my tips in short: (unless you wanna hire me b/c I shure kuld use a few $$ lol)

- decide ahead of time which issues to address

- pick three in order of priority

- start with the highest priority (focus your history on that issue since it's the intro appt)

- be ready to drop the rest if necessary b/c of time limits

- there's nothing wrong with bringing in an index card with the major points you want to make

FOr the thyroid testing:

- say you have some symptoms of thyroid disease..... whatever applies for you inability to loose weight in combination with super-diet (low carb, paleo, fish rich, no grains, no sugar etc.), fatigue, just look up what applies to you. He will take notes on this to back up his lab order so be specific and clear. A list, on an index card, if you need it.

- say you want a full panel including the following.... have your list ready. Say you want an antibody panel b/c you'd like to exclude AI disease. RT3 is never covered by insurance he will order it for you anyways, so don't complain about having to pay for it, or any lab he orders really. That's not his job unless it was coded incorrectly. The clearer you are in asking and backing up your claims, the higher the likelihood he will code correctly

- when your tests are in, the office most likely will call you and say that "your labs came back great, everything is within range" and then you say thank you, that is great, may I have a copy mailed to me?"

- once you get the labs, you look at them yourself, post them here, and then, if there is something to fix, make another appointment with Dr B and make your case why you need RX whatever. Basically, you start over at the top of this list.

Good luck! He's really nice and friendly... if you mess up you can just try again next time better prepared..... he's that kinda guy :cool: Or, maybe then, you *really* should hire me :p;)

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Unfortunately, I think having just one of your antibodies that far out of range is pretty much the answer. Believe me, I know it s*cks. But even if the other test came back zero, you'd still have hashi's. I'm still fighting my antibody results and I wasn't even out of range!!

12. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

You are totally right Souldanzer! My TPO test came back with high antibodies and the TgAB came back at zero. My Hashis has been confirmed by two endos and two docs plus Dr.K. Sorry Marti I'm sure you'll get similar confirmation soon.

13. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I would love some book recommendations too. The info on the web is a bit overwhelming and confusing. I need something I can sit and read, mark pages, etc. Suggestions?

14. melrito

melrito Gold

I am currently in the phase of not knowing whether I have hashis or not. I have low antibodies and dr. k said i need to retest, he cannot rule it out based on my current labs, but suspects i caught it in a "good" phase, since hashis fluctuates and antibodies increase and decrease - they don't remain constant. from what i understand, with hashis you need to follow an autoimmune diet - no grain (of course), sugar, eggs, dairy (yes, dairy includes butter, but not ghee provided it is casein-free), nuts, etc. if you didn't hear last month's webinar on the epi-paleo rx, you might want to think about becoming a member so you can listen to it - he talked a lot about diet related to hasis in that webinar and i found it very informative. he does recommend lots of seafood and sea veggies and of course to keep a close eye on how foods are affecting your labs to see what you can tolerate. Probably a consult with dr. k would be the best course of action - he will definitely answer all your questions and explain the reasoning for that answer.

15. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

You can either read the stopthethyroidmadness.com website or order their book. I have the book and it appears that just about all of it is covered online, but I like having the book around.

16. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I agree pretty much all the info from the book is on the site, however reading the book gives you all the info in a coherent fashion. Reading the site can be a little all over the place.

17. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Day 1. Breakfast consisted of bacon, pork loin and black coffee. My protein count stay good at 44 but fat content is way down with no hwc, kerrygold or egg. I added a little extra CO to coffee. It will be interesting to see if I am hungry at lunch. I normally am not until 3:30 or 4:00 but can wait for dinner at 6. Here is to a new day.

18. MartiD

MartiD New Member

The more I read the more confused I get. Just read an article on Iodine and Hashis and that iodine rich foods should be limited to get antibodies lowered. Anyone?

19. melrito

melrito Gold

I've heard it is very individual, but generally not a problem provided selenium is not low (I'm thinking Jack wrote or said that - just can't remember where). personally, i would get more iodine and selenium from following an epi-paleo diet and watch my labs frequently to see how i am responding - it's the only way to know how it is affecting you.

20. melrito

melrito Gold