1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

New lab offers tests for <$10 and only 1 drop of blood needed

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by giskard, Mar 12, 2014.

1. giskard

giskard New Member

This is incredible
    1 drop and most tests are under $10! Most results availalbe in 4 hours.
    (such as A1c, fasting insulin, VitD, rT3, and hs-CRP)
    Total game changer.
    Now available at several Walgreens across the country:
    http://www.theranos.com/test-menu?ref=our_solution
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/02/elizabeth-holmes-theranos/

I'm thrilled. Cheaper and less hassle than going to the doc, paying copay, getting a prescription, getting several vials drawn, and paying the leftover bill (typically $70 for me).

2. Josh

Josh Gold

Very interesting!!!!

3. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

So is this available to those outside of the US?

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Looks like it is in Phoenix & Palo Alto.

5. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

This looks very promising! Now that we mention it. How will your ultimate lab request look like in order to get the most context about your overall health status? based on this labs list? If money weren't a concern? I bet things like Vitamin D, HS-CRP, BUN/Creatinine ration, Reverse T3, DHEA are staples... but there's a lot to choose here. Wouldn't it be cool to rebuild the optimizing lab list based on this?

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Here's my dream sheet. I try to run these ever quarter (CPT codes are the same for Labcorp and Quest)
    Lipid Panel - VAP, NMR or Berkley or HDL Labs
    hsCRP Test Number: 120766 CPT Code: 86141
    HbA1C Test Number: 001453 CPT Code: 83036
    Fasting blood glucose Test # 001818, CPT Code 82947
    CBC Test # 005009, CPT Code 85025
    Comp Metabolic Panel Test # 322000, CPT code 80053
    Thyroid:
    TSH, Test # 004259, CPT Code 84443
    Free T4, Test # 001974, CPT code 84439
    Free T3, Test # 010389, CTP Code 84481
    RT3, Test # 070104, CPT 84482
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies Test Number: 006676 CPT Code: 86376
    Thyroglobulin, Comprehensive (With Anti-Tg Screen and Reflex to RIA) (Endocrine Sciences) Test Number: 500540 CPT Code: Call client services.
    Progesterone, Test # 004312, CPT Code 84144
    Estradiol, Sensitive, Test # 140244, CPT Code 82670
    Total Estrogens Test# 004549, CPT Code 82672
    SHGB Test #082016 CPT Code: 84270
    Testosterone Free Direct, & serum with Total Testosterone: Test # 140103, CPT Codes 84402, 84403
    Prolactin Test # 004465, CPT code 84146
    cortisol Test # 004051, CPT Code 82533
    DHEA-S Test # 004020, CPT Code 82627
    IGF-1 Test #010636, CPT Code 84305
    RBC magnesium Test # 080283, CPT Code 83735
    Vitamin D25 Hyrdoxy Test # 081950, CPT code 82306
    Serotonin Test# 120204, CPT Code 84260 (requires frozen specimens)
    Pregnenolone Test# 140707, CPT Code 84140 (requires Frozen Specimens)

kyrakitty likes this.
  7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

How can improved processes actually save lives?

We’ve created a tool for physicians to look at lab-test data over time and see trends. We don’t usually think about lab data this way today. It’s “Are you in range, or are you out of range?” Instead, we like to think, “Where are you going?” If you showed me a single frame from a movie and asked me to tell you the story, I wouldn’t be able to do it. But with many frames, you can start to see the movie unfold.

9. giskard

giskard New Member

Yup! I discovered Dr Kruse and Chris Kresser after I noticed that my A1c had crept up over the years, and did a search on why and how to reverse it. Due to lifestyle changes my FBG is now down in the 80s from 95-105.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Hi giskard;

Would you mind sharing details of how you have accomplished that.

Since I found dr Kruse I try to follow Epi-Paleo-Rx.
    So I came to this board with
    Glucose, fasting(80-90)
    HgA1c(5.6)
    Insulin,fasting=(2-3)

after about 2 years on Epi-Paleo-Rx
    Glucose, fasting(95-100)
    HgA1c(5.5)
    Insulin,fasting=(2-3)

Some things are right, other are not.

Biggest change from my previous diet to Epi-Paleo-Rx was
    removal of most of remaining carbs
    increase on fat
    some animal proteins replaced with seafood

--------------
    I think the problem is with carbohydrates.
    Carbohydrates is a name that accompasses to large variety of foods.
    I see need to divide carbohydrate into more categories, not only high or low GI or nightshades.
    Some carbohydrates are eaten by us (people)
    other carbohydrates are eaten by our friendly bacteria (so they can multiply and prosper).
    I see very little being said about all this. I guess this is the source of my problem.
    --------------
    I eat lots of oysters
    oysters
    carbs-23%
    Fats-33%
    Protein-44%

What type carbohydrates are in oysters?
    ---------------

Anyhow, please share your details to your success.

//

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. giskard

giskard New Member

Background: 45 y.o. male in decent health with semi regular weight lifting and no chronic diseases.

I was never much of a soda drinker or sweets/junk eater though I ate a lot of rice and bread. About 4 years ago I discovered the "5 rules of leptin", right about discovering slight gluten sensitivity (migraines after combining wheat and alcohol, or wheat beer) I followed the rules and lost about 20 lbs which mostly stayed off for years, then relaxed said rules:
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/the_five_rules_of_the_leptin_diet/
    It also cured my reactive hypoglycemia. I used to have to eat every 3 hours.

About 7 months ago I noticed that my A1c over the years crept up from 5.3 to 5.6 despite the above. (I did not have A1c numbers before I started the "leptin rules") My lab fasting BG was always around 95-99.
    I found this article by Chris Kresser
    http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16
    So I bought this blood glucose meter based on Consumer Reports and other reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/Freestyle-Freedom-Glucose-Monitoring-System/dp/B001A5R2FK
    I was shocked at how sensitive I was to starch. For example, 2 buns with a hamburger would spike me to 150; an 8 oz "sweet potato challenge test" would get me to 160. Upon waking my FBG would be 95-105.
    I discovered my ferritin was in the 80s, so I started donating blood every 3 months.

After reading Jack Kruse I did the giant morning high protein breakfast, and started eating more Kerrygold butter, coconut oil, seafood, shellfish, and crustaceans. I drastically reduced my starchy food intake, so that post meal spikes were <120. I also started eating homemade kefir regularly.

After 4 months (and 2 blood donations) I got:
    - weight loss of 10 lbs
    -FBG-90-99
    -A1c 5.3
    -insulin 0.5
    -ferritin high 40s
    - 90 minutes post typical meal BG 100-110
    - most headaches gone
    - flat, even energy
    - better sleep

I was still very sensitive to starchy food. I was hoping the blood donations would improve that.
    Then in early December I read Nikoley's many blogs on Resistant Starch and Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch.
    Here's a good starting summary on the topic:
    http://www.gestaltreality.com/2014/02/27/resistant-starch-a-concise-guide/

I started immediately and ramped up to 4 tbsp per day pretty quickly (with a week of backing off due to extreme butt-wrenching flatulence). The effects were dramatic:
    - greatly reduced sensitivity to starchy meals:
    - 8 oz sweet potato challenge test peak BG: 145
    - 90 minute post typical meal: 90-95
    - feel full for my typical 5-6 hours even after a meal with some starch e.g. half cup of rice... some starch in a meal used to get me hungry again after just 3-4 hours
    - FBG went down to 70-93
    - after about 2 months, my weight had stayed flat, but my abs started coming out. I now have a 4-pack (plus a bicycle tire!) I hadn't seen them since big hair was in. Alas now I have sparse hair.
    - more lucid dreaming

That is where I'm at.

BTW there is a variable I recently discovered wrt FBG. If I have a bit of alcohol with dinner (e.g. 4 oz wine or a small martini), my next morning FBG will be 70-85. Without, it's 80-93. I wonder if this is why moderate alcohol correlates with reduced mortality. I wonder if I should take a small dose slow release metformin when I don't have alcohol with dinner.

Next steps:

This just arrived, for CT. I'm hoping it will rid my spare bicycle tire :) :
    https://www.coolfatburner.com/

I just started AOR probiotics in case some species are extinct in my gut (I have had around 5 antibiotic courses in my life, including Chloramphenicol for Typhoid in my early teens.):
    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2014/03/health-diagrams-ii-curing-autoimmunity.html
    After 1-2 months of that I plan to try Prescript Assist soil based probiotics.

I'm also now looking for homemade style kimchi, perhaps from a small Korean mom and pop store. I just went through a jar of Costco kimchi.

HoneyChild and JanSz like this.
  12. kyrakitty

kyrakitty New Member

Thank you for those lab codes Gretchen that is like finding Gold!!!!

13. mafixit

mafixit New Member

I see a Walgreens has this near me, but still a bit of a drive across town. How does this work? They take your doctor's orders and you draw there?

I'll look a little closer. Are there any tests that don't require a doctor's order?

Karen from Arizona

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Sure thing!!!