1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

New Dr appt and requested labs help

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by MartiD, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I see a new physician tomorrow and am going to request the following labs. I am hoping he will cooperate! Anything that I am missing? I have always had "normal" labs in past but most of the hormone labs I haven't done before. I don't have any issues that I am aware of, AI, high blood sugar, etc. I have had a partial hysterectomy but still have my ovaries.

Full Lipid Panel

Cholesterol

Hs Crp

Thyroid/Hormones:

TSH

FT3

FT4

TPO antibodies (TPO & TgAB)

RT3

DHEA-S

Estradiol

Progesterone

Testosterone

Free testosterone

Others:

Vit D

4 Irons: Ferritin, % Saturation, TIBC & Serum Iron

B12 & Folate

Magnesium

Potassium

Calcium

Sodium

Glucose

Fasting Blood Glucose

2. Great list! You could add these: Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) and prenenolone.

3. MartiD

MartiD New Member

And what do those help determining? I am trying to have all my facts together in case he decides to ask me why I think I need each test! I have a cheat sheet started! LOL

4. The pregnenolone is a hormone near the top of the hormone cascade. This is important if you have any cortisol issues, high or low. I don't see an ASI test on there either and that may or may not be important for you. I am not sure what determines getting an ASI test but it seems to me most folks these days have some disruption of their cortisol. I know the SHBG was mentioned in the hormone webinar and I had it done when I tested. Although I'm not really that versed on that particular test. Also IGF-1 is an indicator of growth hormone. As we age we lose growth hormone. Just some thoughts although I'm sure you will have to do some research on your own to understand more about these. If I not mistaken, pregnenolone, SHBG, IGF-1, and the ASI test are all recommended by the doc on his labs recommendation list.

5. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I was going to ask about the ASI but was willing to do that on my own. If he will do it then I will certainly go that route and let insurance pay for it. Thanks for info on pregnenolone and IGF-1. I will do some research!

6. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I was going to ask about the ASI but was willing to do that on my own. If he will do it then I will certainly go that route and let insurance pay for it. Thanks for info on pregnenolone and IGF-1. It appears that if I do a progresterone test that will give some indication of the pregnenlone levels? Would these two be a duplicate of information?

7. Not a duplicate. Progesterone is made from Pregnenolone but I believe also comes from other sources. Also it has been mentioned here several times that women have trouble converting pregnenolone into progesterone. I believe I have experienced this too. However if you have a cortisol problem pregnenolone is something to pay attention to.

[​IMG]

8. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Great, thanks for clarification.

9. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Before I go off on my rant on my disappointing Dr appt, here are the labs he ordered. Can anyone tell me if I got any hormones done at all? I know he didn't mark dhea-s or progesterone on form.

Comp Metalbolic panel

CDC/platelette

Lipid Panel

CRP-HS

FSH?

LH?

Magnesium

T3 Free

T4free

Thyroid Peroxidase Ab?

TSH

Reverse T3

Vitamin B12/folate

Vit D

That is it.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

we got a new thing we are debuting tonight.......you might want to hold off and see if it is up your alley......Misty is going to blast it out tonight

11. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Good thing we didn't do a cortisol test while I was in the office!:mad: His whole demeanor changed when I told him I was low carb paleo! All of a sudden I was one of "those people"! I knew at that moment this was a lost cause. I think because he didn't know how to read the results of some of the tests on my list he did't think they were relevant! When I handed him the list of labs he asked me where I got this list and I told him I had been doing a lot of research over 18 months while I was losing 60 lbs. He said "well you have to be careful of those quack doctors on the internet!" Nice.

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think it also depends on the delivery a bit.... I wouldn't drop it all at once. Some docs plain don't need to know what you are doing as long as you get what you need. You might be more likely to get what you need without saying at first greeting that you sit in a ice tub everyday.

13. LOL Haven't even broken that part of my lifestyle to my doc yet! Thank goodness she's totally is on board with Paleo and hormones!

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I broke that to my neurologist at first greeting, well, I said I use a lot of ice to manage my headaches and he thought that was great - pro-active and no meds needed. But then, I live in Boulder..... you can do whatever here pretty much. The weirder you are the better you fit in. Lol.

I'd suggest you adjust your approach to fit the doc in question.

15. Great advice!

16. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

But did you tell him about your shopping adventure at the hardware store, trying on buckets to find one that would fit your head?? :D

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

um, no, I omitted that little detail :D used advice #2 in that case :p adjust approach to fit doc

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I wonder if he has the same advice for the quacks in an office? I mean following this quack you lost 60 lbs.......ask him how many of his patient have lost 60 lbs following his advice?

19. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I was so flustered I didn't say about half of the things I should have said! I should have told him I was flowing a quack that was a well respected Neurosurgeon in Nashville but I was tongue tied!

Interestingly enough he never asked me anything like how do you feel? How is your energy level? Do you sleep well? Maybe I didn't give him a chance but he could have at least made an effort since it was our first visit!

OK, so back to the list. Is this a fasting blood work? I don't see the blood glucose test so wasn't sure on everything else. I'm so bummed about the DHEA and the iron tests! Ugh.

20. Destiny

Destiny New Member

There is a better doctor for you in your area. Keep searching!

I am dealing with my GP and OBGyn, between those two I was able to get what I needed. When I've mentioned to my GP what my husband and I were doing, he was interested. That is a starting point. I tried not to overwhelm him all at once.

Another problem I noticed, that they see a lot of patients one after another. They don't have that much time to spend with you. That is how the system is set up ... unfortunately. I just give them a few important bullets on the paper - that helps them (time wise) and me (to get what I need).